Sharing PCs using wireless router

Andre

Hi, I have 2 machines (deskptop running XP Pro and a laptop running XP Home)
sharing a internet connection using a wireless router. Desktop is wired to
router and laptop uses wireless adapter to connect to router.

In addition to sharing the internet connection, can I also share the 2 PCs,
e.g. view files on the other machine, copy to/from, share the printer on the
desktop, etc. using the wireless router as well? How is this doen (port
forwarding, VPN)?

I need some pointers on where to start.

Thanks.

Malke

Andre wrote:

> Hi, I have 2 machines (deskptop running XP Pro and a laptop running XP
> Home) sharing a internet connection using a wireless router. Desktop
> is wired to router and laptop uses wireless adapter to connect to
> router.
>
> In addition to sharing the internet connection, can I also share the 2
> PCs, e.g. view files on the other machine, copy to/from, share the
> printer on the desktop, etc. using the wireless router as well? How is
> this doen (port forwarding, VPN)?
>
> I need some pointers on where to start.
>
> Thanks.

Absolutely you can share files and printers. Doing this has nothing to
do with the network being wireless or wired. Here are links to help you
set up your home network:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
(Pro)
http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

And to make sure your wireless is secure:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

This was great info. I have the same issue and was going to start the
research on links provided. However before I begin I just wanted to double
check something. Would this same info work for the laptop being on Windows
ME instead of XP. I have the exact same set up except for the laptop is ME
instead of XP.

"Malke" wrote:

> Andre wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have 2 machines (deskptop running XP Pro and a laptop running XP
> > Home) sharing a internet connection using a wireless router. Desktop
> > is wired to router and laptop uses wireless adapter to connect to
> > router.
> >
> > In addition to sharing the internet connection, can I also share the 2
> > PCs, e.g. view files on the other machine, copy to/from, share the
> > printer on the desktop, etc. using the wireless router as well? How is
> > this doen (port forwarding, VPN)?
> >
> > I need some pointers on where to start.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Absolutely you can share files and printers. Doing this has nothing to
> do with the network being wireless or wired. Here are links to help you
> set up your home network:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> (Pro)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
> http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
>
> And to make sure your wireless is secure:
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Sharing Broadband Internet connection using a Wireless Router is the same
regardless of the Windows OS that is used.

The core principle of Network Setting and Local File Sharing is the same for
all Network capable Windows OSs.

There is differences in the specific way that the configuration menus and
security settings are organized.

This page has links and info related to Sharing settings concerning Windows
OSs.

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

WinME is very similar to Win98SE.

Jack (MVP-Networking).