how do you measure temperature

Charles

How does one measure temperature?
After reading a few messages, it would appear that the correct
software will talk to the processor.
My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+.
I am running Fedora Core 3.
Thanks,
Charles

Charles

I just found a web site that says there is a temperature sensitive
diode on Intel processors, but NOT on AMD processors.

Charles wrote:

> How does one measure temperature?
> After reading a few messages, it would appear that the correct
> software will talk to the processor.
> My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+.
> I am running Fedora Core 3.
> Thanks,
> Charles

Don't thing the 2000+ has a temp sensor.Barton core(2500+ and up,333,400
FSB) might and AMD64 definitely does. Te older core AMD chips use a sensor
built in to the socket on the motherboard. Not very accurate.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:50:39 -0600, Charles wrote:

> How does one measure temperature?

Hmm... Meat probe.:)

> After reading a few messages, it would appear that the correct software
> will talk to the processor.
> My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. I am running Fedora Core 3.

Find lm_sensors rpm.

[wes@wes2 wes]$ sensors
it87-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1: +1.28 V (min = +1.12 V, max = +1.79 V)
VCore 2: +1.50 V (min = +1.41 V, max = +1.70 V)
+3.3V: +3.23 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5V: +4.97 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
+12V: +11.78 V (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.18 V)
-12V: -11.35 V (min = -10.83 V, max = -13.19 V)
-5V: -4.97 V (min = -4.54 V, max = -5.47 V)
Stdby: +5.00 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
VBat: +3.14 V
fan1: 2343 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan2: 2311 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
CPU Temp: +29°C (low = +15°C, high = +55°C) sensor = diode
M/B Temp: +25°C (low = 15°C, high = +40°C) sensor =thermistor

Gkrellm if you want a graphical display too.

Charles wrote:
> Charles wrote:
>> How does one measure temperature?
>> After reading a few messages, it would appear that the correct
>> software will talk to the processor.
>> My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+.
>> I am running Fedora Core 3.

For Linux, you'll want the lmsensors package. It's not the easiest thing to
get up and running on Debian, but FC3 should probably be a bit easier.
There's various front-ends for lmsensors, though I can't remember any names
off the top of my head.

> I just found a web site that says there is a temperature sensitive
> diode on Intel processors, but NOT on AMD processors.

That web site is incorrect. The last AMD CPU to not have an internal
temperature sensor was the 1400 Thunderbird. All Palomino, TBred, Barton,
and A64 CPUs have internal temperature diodes (ie: all desktop CPUs with XP
in their name). However, not all motherboards read the diode, many relying
instead on a thermistor in the socket. The easy way to tell the difference
between a socket and internal temperature measurement is that the internal
measurement will instantly jump several degrees when you go from 0% to 100%
load (eg: starting Prime95) whereas the socket sensor will take several
seconds to change even a degree.

Of course, due to differences in CPUs, motherboards, and BIOS revisions,
absolute temperature measurements are useless. If person A has a lower
temperature than person B, there is still a very good chance that person B's
CPU is running cooler. Likewise, you cannot compare temperatures between
different steppings, such as TBred vs Barton, let alone between the P4 and
an Athlon. The only thing they are good for is seeing if changing a
particular cooling component (such as moving a fan around) increases or
decreases the CPU temperature.

--
Michael Brown

Charles

I just discovered that that the BIOS can measure the temperature.
I started the computer in a cold room and immediately invoked the
BIOS and the indicated temperature was 22C. That is believeable,
since the room is about 70F. Then, over the next minute, it slowly
rose, a degree at a time, to 27C.

So the board and the BIOS both support temperature monitoring.

Now to fetch an program to look at it outside of BIOS. Michael
Brown has already suggested the lmsensors package. I will try
that. And thanks to several others for their comments.
Regards,
Charles