SNES emu like MAME?

Hey all, I've just bought a CD full of old SNES games and, although it comes
with its own frontend, it's not the best ever. I was wondering if there were
frontends for the old SNES that worked a bit like MAME? What I mean is, do
they perhaps display screenshots (the thing I'd really like). I had a look
around but couldn't really find anything like the MAME frontends.

Thanks for any help

Mother Farquhar wrote on 19. May 2005:

> Hey all, I've just bought a CD full of old SNES games and, although it comes
> with its own frontend, it's not the best ever. I was wondering if there were
> frontends for the old SNES that worked a bit like MAME? What I mean is, do
> they perhaps display screenshots (the thing I'd really like). I had a look
> around but couldn't really find anything like the MAME frontends.

Besides ZNES I believe that MESS does also emulate NES games. MESS is the
brother of MAME.

But ZNES might do better quality.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html

http://www.google.com - "snes emulator"

--
David

On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:31:35 GMT, SINNER
<arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

>* Mother Farquhar Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>> Hey all, I've just bought a CD full of old SNES games and,
>> although it comes with its own frontend, it's not the best ever. I
>> was wondering if there were frontends for the old SNES that worked
>> a bit like MAME? What I mean is, do they perhaps display
>> screenshots (the thing I'd really like). I had a look around but
>> couldn't really find anything like the MAME frontends.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>

>http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html
>
>http://www.google.com - "snes emulator"

ZSNES is a good choice. For a front end that handles both, you can't
do much better than Mamewah
--
Neil

On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:03:18 -0500, Dire Radiant
<visionism@geemale.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:31:35 GMT, SINNER
><arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
>
>>* Mother Farquhar Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>
>>> Hey all, I've just bought a CD full of old SNES games and,
>>> although it comes with its own frontend, it's not the best ever. I
>>> was wondering if there were frontends for the old SNES that worked
>>> a bit like MAME? What I mean is, do they perhaps display
>>> screenshots (the thing I'd really like). I had a look around but
>>> couldn't really find anything like the MAME frontends.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>

>>http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html
>>
>>http://www.google.com - "snes emulator"
>
>ZSNES is a good choice. For a front end that handles both, you can't
>do much better than Mamewah

One more thing - If you have kids and they're going to play, check out
those roms very carefully. Some of them may be hacks featuring porn.
You can usually tell by the title - often "something slideshow" or
similar.
--
Neil

Mother Farquhar's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body were:
> Hey all, I've just bought a CD full of old SNES games and, although it comes
> with its own frontend, it's not the best ever. I was wondering if there were
> frontends for the old SNES that worked a bit like MAME? What I mean is, do
> they perhaps display screenshots (the thing I'd really like). I had a look
> around but couldn't really find anything like the MAME frontends.
> Thanks for any help

MAME doesn't have a graphical interface.

(BTW first post under new newshost)

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hellmark wrote:
> Mother Farquhar's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
> his body were:
>
>>Hey all, I've just bought a CD full of old SNES games and, although it comes
>>with its own frontend, it's not the best ever. I was wondering if there were
>>frontends for the old SNES that worked a bit like MAME? What I mean is, do
>>they perhaps display screenshots (the thing I'd really like). I had a look
>>around but couldn't really find anything like the MAME frontends.
>>Thanks for any help
>

> MAME doesn't have a graphical interface.

He didnt say it did. He said he would like a snes emu like MAME, where
you attach a front end to it, and have it operate like a back-end. Are
you assuming he is talking about MAME32? Now now 'spawn... this is not
mame.net ;-)

> (BTW first post under new newshost)

--
MCR
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

MCR wrote:
Snipped
> He didnt say it did. He said he would like a snes emu like MAME, where
> you attach a front end to it, and have it operate like a back-end. Are
> you assuming he is talking about MAME32? Now now 'spawn... this is not
> mame.net ;-)

Oops... 1st thing in the morning here, sorry! I thought you were
Hellspawn not Hellmark LOL!
--

Dire Radiant wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:03:18 -0500, Dire Radiant
> <visionism@geemale.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:31:35 GMT, SINNER
>><arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

>>>http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/zsnes.html
>>>
>>>http://www.google.com - "snes emulator"
>>
>>ZSNES is a good choice. For a front end that handles both, you can't
>>do much better than Mamewah
>

> One more thing - If you have kids and they're going to play, check out
> those roms very carefully. Some of them may be hacks featuring porn.
> You can usually tell by the title - often "something slideshow" or
> similar.

If you do like I did and grab whole folders off of the 'net, you can end
up d/ling the offending ROMs over and over again. Instead of deleting
the offending files, create an empty file in notepad, then save it as
"adultmanga1.zip" (or whatever) in your ROMs folder. (Remember to
include the double-quotes around the file name, otherwise Windows will
add '.txt' on the end.) This will create a file that will take up no
space, but /will/ prevent the file from showing back up. To keep it
from showing up at all, simply check the 'Hidden' box in 'file/properties'.

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Dead_Dad Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> Instead of deleting
> the offending files, create an empty file in notepad, then save it
> as "adultmanga1.zip" (or whatever) in your ROMs folder. (Remember
> to include the double-quotes around the file name, otherwise
> Windows will add '.txt' on the end.)

This is not 100% true while the solution requires almost as much work
it is doable without the quotes. Just change the "save as type" to all
files and it will not add the TXT extension.

--
David

SINNER wrote:
> * Dead_Dad Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>

>>Instead of deleting
>>the offending files, create an empty file in notepad, then save it
>>as "adultmanga1.zip" (or whatever) in your ROMs folder. (Remember
>>to include the double-quotes around the file name, otherwise
>>Windows will add '.txt' on the end.)
>

> This is not 100% true while the solution requires almost as much work
> it is doable without the quotes. Just change the "save as type" to all
> files and it will not add the TXT extension.

True. I had forgotten that. I use DN for editing most of my text files
anyway. For something as simple as creating an empty file, I just use
'echo off > whatever.xxx' (XP) or 'REM > whatever.xxx' (DOS/9x)

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad