Javascript / CGI on pocket IE

July 28, 2004 6:20:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Hi there,

In summary: 1) Does Javascrpt work on Pocket IE?
2) If storing web pages locally, is there some way I can simulate CGI form
processing on my Pocket PC.

I want to write an interactive quiz for the pocket PC. Therefore some
questions in web pages (that are stored locally on the Pocket PC) that are
asked to the user with multiple choice answers and at the end the user is
given a score and rating etc.

However I made some assumtions that Javascript would just work in Pocket IE
but my first attempt has shown that it is ignored. Is this the case?

Further to that, lets say I want to do more advance stuff with the quiz and
process form input, as I am storing the web pages locally, does that mean I
have to have some type of mini server running on the Pocket PC.

Suddenly something that I thought was very simple, is maybe not as simple as
it first seemed.

I really appreicate any help on this matter.

Kind regards

Dave

More about : javascript cgi pocket

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:20:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Yes, Javascript should just work in PIE. I don't know why you're having
problems with it - at least if you're doing something not that complicated
(PIE doesn't have full WinXP JScript, but it's close for full-blown apps).
Are you trying to open JScript files directly (i.e. foobar.js)? That I
don't think will work. But you can embedd JScript commands inside HTML. If
you are not having luck and you're using HTML/JScript combo, then you should
post a small sample of something that's broken on this newsgroup and
hopefully someone can help (this is well outside my area of expertice).

The way you're currently writing this, to actually save the scores to a file
then you would either need to be able to access the filesystem directly
through JScript. There's no built-in support for this on PocketPC due to
dev resource limitations and also because there's tons of security issues
with this - we don't want a random website to be able to open up the
device's filesys. On this front, you'd need to either write an ACtiveX
control to do filesystem operations -- which is very dangerous for a user
visiting websites and is also very tricky - so I don't recommend that.

Alternatly you could go with your idea of having the mini HTTP server do the
backend logic. Microsoft ships a web server for PocketPC that you can
install and redistribute. It's in the PocketPC SDK. Note however that
there's a bug in PIE in 2003 where accessing http://localhost/ is busted.
There's a workaround for this that you should be able to get to on google.
This web server supports ASP pages and ISAPI extensions. ISAPI's can access
filesystem directly, ASP can't - you'd need that activeX object again,
though the security wouldn't be as bad because you could mark the object so
it wasn't safe to be run from PocketIE. The short answer is that ASP or
ISAPI and the HTTPD server in general are total over-kill here unless you've
had a fair amount of experience with this stuff.

So... is the only reason you're using JSCRIPT/HTML because you want to make
the display easy? If you have a stateless quiz app (with no filesys access,
throw out results once app is done running) then that's a fine way to go.
Once you want to persist stuff, however, I'd recommend not messing with mini
web servers or ActiveX objects or any of that stuff and just write your app
in C#. Display is a bit trickier than HTML, but all the other problems go
away.

--
John Spaith
Software Design Engineer, Windows CE

Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Let
us know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroup...

You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

"Dave Smithz" <SPAM FREE WORLD> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> In summary: 1) Does Javascrpt work on Pocket IE?
> 2) If storing web pages locally, is there some way I can simulate CGI form
> processing on my Pocket PC.
>

> I want to write an interactive quiz for the pocket PC. Therefore some
> questions in web pages (that are stored locally on the Pocket PC) that are
> asked to the user with multiple choice answers and at the end the user is
> given a score and rating etc.
>
> However I made some assumtions that Javascript would just work in Pocket
IE
> but my first attempt has shown that it is ignored. Is this the case?
>
> Further to that, lets say I want to do more advance stuff with the quiz
and
> process form input, as I am storing the web pages locally, does that mean
> have to have some type of mini server running on the Pocket PC.
>
> Suddenly something that I thought was very simple, is maybe not as simple
as
> it first seemed.
>
> I really appreicate any help on this matter.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:23:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

I may be wrong but don't you need the .NET Framework for C# to work? Is
there a version of the .NET Framework for WM 2003? If so I would think that
would be a must have for users of WM 2003...

Also and please forgive my ignorance here. Is C# meant to replace Java? Is
it only a script language? Or is it an actual programming language?

Rick Wessels

"John Spaith [MS]" <jspaith@ONLINE.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
are
> > asked to the user with multiple choice answers and at the end the user
is
> > given a score and rating etc.
> >
> > However I made some assumtions that Javascript would just work in Pocket
> IE
> > but my first attempt has shown that it is ignored. Is this the case?
> >
> > Further to that, lets say I want to do more advance stuff with the quiz
> and
> > process form input, as I am storing the web pages locally, does that
mean
> > have to have some type of mini server running on the Pocket PC.
> >
> > Suddenly something that I thought was very simple, is maybe not as
simple
> as
> > it first seemed.
> >
> > I really appreicate any help on this matter.

July 29, 2004 4:09:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Thanks for the excellent answer John (see below).

In the end I did get the Javscript working. Turns out the pages I was tring
were a little complicated for the Pocket IE so were not working. When I made
a simple page it worked.

Anyway with regard to the JavaScript quiz, even if we at first go for a
stateless quiz, is there a way of passing the results from one page to the
other. This would at least need to be done because the quiz will be across
multiple pages.

Could I not use cookies?
I notice that there is an option to disable the cookies in Pocket IE so that
is a way of persiting data is it not.

Basically I am interesting in anyway of having a quiz that is across
multiple web pages where at the end gives the user a score. Long term the
data may need to be stored permently for reference (therefore wiritng to a
file) but for the proof of concept, as long as we can get the score
displayed at the end this is fine.

What do you think it the fastest way that will work.

Kind regards

Dave

> [...]
are
> > asked to the user with multiple choice answers and at the end the user
is
> > given a score and rating etc.
> >
> > However I made some assumtions that Javascript would just work in Pocket
> IE
> > but my first attempt has shown that it is ignored. Is this the case?
> >
> > Further to that, lets say I want to do more advance stuff with the quiz
> and
> > process form input, as I am storing the web pages locally, does that
mean
> > have to have some type of mini server running on the Pocket PC.
> >
> > Suddenly something that I thought was very simple, is maybe not as
simple
> as
> > it first seemed.
> >
> > I really appreicate any help on this matter.

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:44:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

To get cookies to work you'd need to have a web server receiving them - I
don't think they're something that can be passed between same pages. As far
as passing vars around between pages, I think if you had something where you
used frames and one frame was always say invisible but it had all the
JScript global vars on it, then you could access these vars from the "real"
frame that was displaying your web page. I don't know if this will work in
PIE or if it is the best way of doing this, however. I imagine there's
stuff about how to solve similiar problems on the web already. You can
probably go to some online survey site where they ask you a bunch of
questions and look at the source code to see how they do it, assuming each
answer isn't sent to the server but is instead locally.

--

> [...]
> is
> > > given a score and rating etc.
> > >
> > > However I made some assumtions that Javascript would just work in
Pocket
> > IE
> > > but my first attempt has shown that it is ignored. Is this the case?
> > >
> > > Further to that, lets say I want to do more advance stuff with the
quiz
> > and
> > > process form input, as I am storing the web pages locally, does that
> mean
> > > have to have some type of mini server running on the Pocket PC.
> > >
> > > Suddenly something that I thought was very simple, is maybe not as
> simple
> > as
> > > it first seemed.
> > >
> > > I really appreicate any help on this matter.

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 8:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Of course your're right: indeed you do need to .NET Compact Framework to run
a C# app on a WM2003 device. But that's no problem, because WM2003 has
already .NET CF in ROM. So the potential end-user does have it already.

And - of course C# is an actual programming language.
In my opion it's the best programming language, i had to deal with until
now.

The problem i see using C# in web scenarios is "no-touch deployment". This
simply does *not* work under Pocket PC. For no-touch deployment, you need a
browser on client-side, which is able to host the .NET CLR - and PIE can
not!

Reinhold

"Richard Wessels" <rorw@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]
> is
> > > given a score and rating etc.
> > >
> > > However I made some assumtions that Javascript would just work in
Pocket
> > IE
> > > but my first attempt has shown that it is ignored. Is this the case?
> > >
> > > Further to that, lets say I want to do more advance stuff with the
quiz
> > and
> > > process form input, as I am storing the web pages locally, does that
> mean
> > > have to have some type of mini server running on the Pocket PC.
> > >
> > > Suddenly something that I thought was very simple, is maybe not as
> simple
> > as
> > > it first seemed.
> > >
> > > I really appreicate any help on this matter.

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 8:20:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Danke

That was extremely informative and helpful. Can you direct me to more
information about C#? I am actually a little interested in maybe learning
this language. I despised Java and still do. I know that MS plans to phase
out all VB in the not to distant future. So maybe learning C# now would be
a good idea. Would I have to have the entire Visual Studio .NET package
just to learn and program in C#?

One last question. Are C# programs compiled? Or are they sort of
constructed the way Java apps are?

Rick Wessels

"Reinhold Schalk" <ReiSchalk@gmx.de> wrote in message
> [...]
your
> > app
> > > in C#. Display is a bit trickier than HTML, but all the other
problems
> go
> > > away.
> > >
> > > --
> > > John Spaith
> > > Software Design Engineer, Windows CE
> > > Microsoft Corporation
> > >
> > > Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups?
> > Let
> > > us know!
> > > https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroup...

> > rights.
> > > You assume all risk for your use. © 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All
> rights
> > > reserved.
> > >
> > > "Dave Smithz" <SPAM FREE WORLD> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:25:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Hello Rick,
yes, i guess you are right. Learning C# is indeed a good idea. .NET is
Microsoft's new strategy for developing web- and windows-apps.
Recommending a good information hub about C# is difficult, because there is
lots of information in the web and there are a lot of good books. I've read
"Inside C#" from Microsoft press and found it very usefull. But i think it's
perhaps not the best book to start with.
Visual Studio.NET is in my opinion rather intuitive. So if you are a
experienced developer - the language doesn't matter - you should have no
problems using VS.NET.

C# programs are compiled, but not to native code as C++, but to a special
kind of intermediate language - MSIL.
That's why you need a "special runtime" (like the Java VM) on your client.
In .NET it's the Common Language Runtime (CLR). A "Just-In-Time-Compiler"
(Jitter) compiles MSIL to native code and executes the app. So the model is
comparable to the Java approach.
The Jitter maintains caches to hold the native code. So in the lifetime of a
..NET app every MSIL-statement is compiled only once. The Jitter always
compiles on a "method-basis", so it looks a little bit ahead, gaining
performance.

Hope this information helps clearifying some things.
Reinhold

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

> [...]
This
> > simply does *not* work under Pocket PC. For no-touch deployment, you
need
> > browser on client-side, which is able to host the .NET CLR - and PIE can
> > not!
> >
> > Reinhold
> >
> > "Richard Wessels" <rorw@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > I may be wrong but don't you need the .NET Framework for C# to work?
Is
> > > there a version of the .NET Framework for WM 2003? If so I would
think
> > that
> > > would be a must have for users of WM 2003...
> > >
> > > Also and please forgive my ignorance here. Is C# meant to replace
Java?
> > Is
> > > it only a script language? Or is it an actual programming language?

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:27:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Reply in line
> To get cookies to work you'd need to have a web server receiving them - I
> don't think they're something that can be passed between same pages. As
far
> as passing vars around between pages, I think if you had something where
you
> used frames and one frame was always say invisible but it had all the
> JScript global vars on it, then you could access these vars from the
"real"
> frame that was displaying your web page. I don't know if this will work
in
> PIE or if it is the best way of doing this, however. I imagine there's
> stuff about how to solve similiar problems on the web already. You can
> probably go to some online survey site where they ask you a bunch of
> questions and look at the source code to see how they do it, assuming each
> answer isn't sent to the server but is instead locally.
>
> John Spaith
> Software Design Engineer, Windows CE
> Microsoft Corporation

Thanks for this John, but I seem to of got cookies working. Your reply makes
me think I am missing something. I got some cookie writing code in
Javascript from the web. Put that in, and I am able on the Pcoket PC to
write a cookie, that is based on the value of a text box, then in another
webpage in a different folder was able to read the value in the cookie.

This was the end of my test, but from this I assumed I would be able to
store the users score (selected answer) for each page in the quiz in a
difference cookie.

On the last page, a javascript algortihm can calculate the total score.

Please tell me if I am missing something here becasue I assumed this would
work fine.

Kind regards and thanks for your help.

Dave
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:25:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> Thanks for this John, but I seem to of got cookies working. Your reply
makes me think I am missing something.

If your app is working, this speaks more loudly than anything I can say :) .
I'm not an HTML expert so I was just assuming that you'd need a server to
bounce the cookies around on, but I stand corrected based on your
experience.

--

!