Hi,
I've got a dual AThlon MP 1600 on an Asus A7M266-D system here. By default
they are shown in the BIOS as 1400+. I have been able to cklock them up to
1586.279MHz so far without getting more than 65°C. How far can I actually
go without the risk of causing any harm?
MB manual says it supports 1.6GHz and higher, which was probably the fastest
CPU available at the time the MB was built. Does that mean I could fit it
with two 3.0GHz CPUs?
alex
--
"Terrorism is the war of the poor and war is the terrorism of the
rich." (Sir Peter Ustinov)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:53:39 +0000, Alexander Linkenbach wrote:

> I've got a dual AThlon MP 1600 on an Asus A7M266-D system here. By default
> they are shown in the BIOS as 1400+. I have been able to cklock them up to
> 1586.279MHz so far without getting more than 65°C. How far can I actually
> go without the risk of causing any harm? MB manual says it supports 1.6GHz
> and higher, which was probably the fastest CPU available at the time the
> MB was built. Does that mean I could fit it with two 3.0GHz CPUs?
> alex

Well, you've probably got Palomino core cpu's so you might get them up to
1800MHz if done right. the default speed for them is 1400MHz (10.5x133).
As for newer cpu's, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are loaded you could
drop a couple of 2800+ MP's into it for under $400, or you could get a
couple of XP-M's for less than half that and set the MP bit on them and
set them to the speed you want, but it it may be a hassle. Or, you could
just use new XP's and set the MP bit on them. Many options.

65C is pretty hot. Have you run an extended prime95 torture test to see if
they throw any errors?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:

> 65C is pretty hot. Have you run an extended prime95 torture test to see if
> they throw any errors?

mprime torture test mode (linux) brings the temp up to 62°C @ 1412MHz
already, but no errors. Hm, maybe I should consider better coolers and
fans...
alex
--

"Alexander Linkenbach" <Linkenbach@bigfoot.com> wrote
> mprime torture test mode (linux) brings the temp up to 62°C @ 1412MHz
> already, but no errors. Hm, maybe I should consider better coolers and
> fans...

It could get into trouble on a hot day.

--
Ed Light