Socket 754 vs 939 vs 940 -WTFO?

I'm trying (without much luck) to understand AMD's roadmap with respect
to sockets. With three to choose from currently, how do you decide
which is going to give you best future ability to upgrade to faster
processors?

I've decided to replace my Celeron 1100 with an AMD Athlon 64. What I'd
like to do to keep costs down is buy a motherboard with a socket that
will support future upgrades (say 18-24 months) and get an inexpensive
CPU to match with that socket for the present.

So, are the 754's going away? Do 939 and 940 represent the difference
between the 90nm and 130nm processors from AMD's roadmap? Or is it the
64 vs 64 Fx difference in the sockets?

Is there a part of the AMD website that I haven't found that explains this?

Thx
-K2

754 will be the cheap line.
940 is for servers.
939 with a Winchester cpu is the one to get. It will take future cpu's, such
as the first dual-core ones -- at least, according to current knowledge. The
Winchester will run cooler than the others.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Wilf Brim" <byte@me.org> wrote in message
> I'm trying (without much luck) to understand AMD's roadmap with respect to
> sockets. With three to choose from currently, how do you decide which is
> going to give you best future ability to upgrade to faster processors?
>
> I've decided to replace my Celeron 1100 with an AMD Athlon 64. What I'd
> like to do to keep costs down is buy a motherboard with a socket that will
> support future upgrades (say 18-24 months) and get an inexpensive CPU to
> match with that socket for the present.
>
> So, are the 754's going away? Do 939 and 940 represent the difference
> between the 90nm and 130nm processors from AMD's roadmap? Or is it the 64
> vs 64 Fx difference in the sockets?
>
> Is there a part of the AMD website that I haven't found that explains
> this?
>
> Thx
> -K2

Get socket 939.

--
Derek

Wilf Brim wrote:
> I'm trying (without much luck) to understand AMD's roadmap with respect
> to sockets. With three to choose from currently, how do you decide
> which is going to give you best future ability to upgrade to faster
> processors?
>
> I've decided to replace my Celeron 1100 with an AMD Athlon 64. What I'd
> like to do to keep costs down is buy a motherboard with a socket that
> will support future upgrades (say 18-24 months) and get an inexpensive
> CPU to match with that socket for the present.
>
> So, are the 754's going away? Do 939 and 940 represent the difference
> between the 90nm and 130nm processors from AMD's roadmap? Or is it the
> 64 vs 64 Fx difference in the sockets?
>
> Is there a part of the AMD website that I haven't found that explains this?
>
> Thx
> -K2

Try this link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/

--
FRH

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:01:13 -0500, Wilf Brim wrote:

> I've decided to replace my Celeron 1100 with an AMD Athlon 64. What I'd
> like to do to keep costs down is buy a motherboard with a socket that will
> support future upgrades (say 18-24 months) and get an inexpensive CPU to
> match with that socket for the present.
>
> So, are the 754's going away?

Not within your timeframe.

> Do 939 and 940 represent the difference between the 90nm and 130nm
> processors from AMD's roadmap?

No.

> Or is it the 64 vs 64 Fx difference in the sockets?

No. All AMD cpu's will be going to 90nm just as all went from 180 to 130.

> Is there a part of the AMD website that I haven't found that explains
> this?

Just the roadmap.

Anthing you choose will be so much faster than that Celeron that you won't
care about upgrading. And 3 years from now it will still be closer to the
top CPU than your current Celeron is today.

If you just want an upgrade for more speed, with a little future proofing,
go 754 board with a sempron(754)2800. Depend on which side of the pond
should cost you either £100 or $200.

However if gaming performance is what you crave, go 939 and get a athlon 64
3000(939) or higher depending on your budget. that should be £180/$360.

Most importantly get a good motherboard. I recommend something with a nforce
3 chipset and higher (built a system for a friend with one, very nice
install built in firewall, native sata, the list goes on!). Cause it will
ensure that you get the best from your current and future processor.

Either way you won't notice the difference really, i went to a sempron
2600(skt a) from a celeron 1 GHz, no comparison.

Hoped that helped

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote

> However if gaming performance is what you crave, go 939 and get a athlon
> 64 3000(939) or higher depending on your budget. that should be £180/$360.
As low as $240.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> If you just want an upgrade for more speed, with a little future proofing,
> go 754 board with a sempron(754)2800. Depend on which side of the pond
> should cost you either £100 or $200.

The Sempron 2800 is not a Socket 754, it's still a Socket A. Only the
Sempron 3100 is 754.

Either way, go with a socket 939 with 90nm.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:24:36 -0500, Bill G wrote:

> "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> If you just want an upgrade for more speed, with a little future
>> proofing, go 754 board with a sempron(754)2800. Depend on which side of
>> the pond should cost you either £100 or $200.
>
> The Sempron 2800 is not a Socket 754, it's still a Socket A. Only the
> Sempron 3100 is 754.

AMD released 2600+, 2800+, and 3000+ Semprons in socket 754 on the 14th
of Feb. They are available today in many places.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

> "Bill G" <rbatty00@hotmail.com> wrote
>>
>> The Sempron 2800 is not a Socket 754, it's still a Socket A. Only the
>> Sempron 3100 is 754.
>
> They've snuck in some new 754 ones:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Bad link.

--
Derek

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:24:36 -0500, Bill G wrote:
>
> > "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> If you just want an upgrade for more speed, with a little future
> >> proofing, go 754 board with a sempron(754)2800. Depend on which side of
> >> the pond should cost you either £100 or $200.
> >
> > The Sempron 2800 is not a Socket 754, it's still a Socket A. Only the
> > Sempron 3100 is 754.
> >
> AMD released 2600+, 2800+, and 3000+ Semprons in socket 754 on the 14th
> of Feb. They are available today in many places.

Those bastards! And they didn't even bother to tell me !!

:)~

Bill G