I find my Asus TI4200 video card fan too much noisy. I was thinking about
using a standard Athlon heat sink with its fan instead of the original heat
sink and fan. I was also thinking about plugging the fan on 5 volt instead
of 12 volt. Anyone tried something like this? Is it too risky?

Sylvain

alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

For the ultimate you could use the VGA Silencer model for the ti4200, which
blows the heat out the back.
Also there are fanned and fanless Zalmans.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Yeah, I was looking at going with the Zalman ZM80D heatpipe for my
Ti4400. There's a few options here:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/code_list.asp?code=013

Good luck!

JB

Ed Light wrote:
> alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
>
> For the ultimate you could use the VGA Silencer model for the ti4200, which
> blows the heat out the back.
> Also there are fanned and fanless Zalmans.

"Sylvain" wrote
> I find my Asus TI4200 video card fan too much noisy. I was thinking about
> using a standard Athlon heat sink with its fan instead of the original
heat
> sink and fan. I was also thinking about plugging the fan on 5 volt instead
> of 12 volt. Anyone tried something like this? Is it too risky?

Hi,

I bought a used Ti4200 off eBay. Of course when I recieved it I found out
the fan was barely working!

The Leadteck model I have used a massive heatsink, so I just unscrewed the
fan and bought one of those *VANTEC SPECTRUM* coolers and fitted that into
the slot next to the graphics card, workd really well!

http://img84.exs.cx:81/img84/9828/brokenti42008rs.jpg

Wayne ][

It looks quite HiTech. But it is as expensive as my video card! ;-) That is
why I was thinking about recycling this old Athlon heatsink which is much
bigger thant the hs that come with my card (you can see what it looks like
here http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/asus_ti4200d/card_front.htm )
Still, I don't know yet how I would install the Athlon heatsink on this
card...

"J B" <justin.bourneNOSPAM4ME@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I was looking at going with the Zalman ZM80D heatpipe for my
> Ti4400. There's a few options here:
>
> http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/code_list.asp?code=013
>
> Good luck!
>
> JB
>
> Ed Light wrote:
>> alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
>>
>> For the ultimate you could use the VGA Silencer model for the ti4200,
>> which
>> blows the heat out the back.
>> Also there are fanned and fanless Zalmans.

Do you think installing this fanslot near my card (
http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/asus_ti4200d/card_front.htm )
would be enough to cool it? Because the heatsink is quite small...

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Sylvain" wrote
>> I find my Asus TI4200 video card fan too much noisy. I was thinking about
>> using a standard Athlon heat sink with its fan instead of the original
> heat
>> sink and fan. I was also thinking about plugging the fan on 5 volt
>> instead
>> of 12 volt. Anyone tried something like this? Is it too risky?
>

> Hi,
>
> I bought a used Ti4200 off eBay. Of course when I recieved it I found out
> the fan was barely working!
>
> The Leadteck model I have used a massive heatsink, so I just unscrewed the
> fan and bought one of those *VANTEC SPECTRUM* coolers and fitted that into
> the slot next to the graphics card, workd really well!
>
> http://img84.exs.cx:81/img84/9828/brokenti42008rs.jpg
>
> Wayne ][

How about a $9 Thermaltake Crystal Orb?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

I finally bough a cooler master CoolViva VHC-L61. EXtremly silent and quite
inexpensive (30$ canadian). I also changed my CPU heatsink + fan with a
thermaltake TR2-M1 which has its speed controlled by the motherboard and it
is quite silent too. I think it is a great combo!