Price of OEM compared to RETAIL processors

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 2:41:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 2:41:11 PM

Jack Jack wrote:
> On Tue 01 Mar 2005 11:48:00, Mojo Pin wrote:
>
> > Jack Jack wrote:
> >> How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an
> >> RETAIL package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM
> >> version?
> >
> > Check out the suppliers !! You're sat in front of a pc, do the
> > work
> > yourself, or hadn't you thought of looking on websites. Lazy or
> > thick, you choose the most apt description of yourself.
>

> Oi, Mojo! :-)
>
> Of course I checked but I didn't find any web traders who were
> quoting prices for an OEM and retail processor both of the same
> specification. It's not so easy to locate that info.

eBuyer do. and Scan I think.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 2:48:00 PM

Jack Jack wrote:
> How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
> package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?

Check out the suppliers !! You're sat in front of a pc, do the work
yourself, or hadn't you thought of looking on websites. Lazy or thick,
you choose the most apt description of yourself.
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 3:24:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
> package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?

Don't forget, the retail versions come with heatsink/fan and 3 year
warranty - so factor that in when comparing...

Visit our online IT store! Trade prices direct to the public!
http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/buy/hardware
Get a FREE 0870 number for your home, business or Fax2Email service
http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/telco/
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e: sales@aceinternet.co.uk
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 3:51:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xns960C76E0E9E166AD265@130.133.1.4>, Jack Jack says...
> How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
> package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?

Typically around £7..the cost of a rasonable heatsink and fan.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 4:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Intel OEM CPU`s come with hs&f but only 12month warranty!

"Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <Xns960C76E0E9E166AD265@130.133.1.4>, Jack Jack says...
> > How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL
> > package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?
> >
> Typically around £7..the cost of a rasonable heatsink and fan.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 6:56:54 PM

Ginchy wrote:

> Intel OEM CPU`s come with hs&f but only 12month warranty!

???
In that case, I'm owed rather a lot of heatsinks and fans.

Most OEM processor stock on the market in the UK is 'Tray product', i.e.
in an anti-static tray such as those pictured at
http://www.nissenchemical.com/semi.htm (although these aren't actual P4
trays) ready for automated assembly, or, as it happens, to be picked out
and sold one-by-one at knockdown prices to bargain-hunters, or
occasionally, so that they can be stuck into insufficient mystery black
foam, wrapped in non-anti-static plastic bubble-wrap, and shipped off
with insufficient packaging such that they arrive squashed flat and
impossible to install due to bent pins (Oi! Redstore! Are you
listening!) Atleast the LGA chip package should not suffer that
particular problem.

Retail CPU products, sometimes called 'PIB' (for 'Processor In Box') not
only come with a matched Heatsink (fine if you are not overclocking,
although hideously noisy in the case of Intel S603 Xeons) but any
additional warranty that you may get will probably be with the CPU
manufacturer directly, handy if the supplier goes bust.

In most cases, the first 12 months will be handled by the retailer as
normal, but years 2 and 3 of a 3-year warranty are in many cases handled
directly by the manufacturer.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 7:21:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue 01 Mar 2005 11:48:00, Mojo Pin wrote:

> Jack Jack wrote:
>> How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an
>> RETAIL package of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM
>> version?
>
> Check out the suppliers !! You're sat in front of a pc, do the
> work
> yourself, or hadn't you thought of looking on websites. Lazy or
> thick, you choose the most apt description of yourself.

Oi, Mojo! :-)

Of course I checked but I didn't find any web traders who were
quoting prices for an OEM and retail processor both of the same
specification. It's not so easy to locate that info.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 7:40:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Here in the US an OEM AMD generally has a 15-30 day warrantee, but sometimes
you can buy a year's warrantee.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 7:41:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

In the US it seems that everyone checks on newegg.com. They have both.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2005 11:50:35 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:41:10 +0000, Jack Jack wrote:

> How much extra would I typically pay here in the UK for an RETAIL package
> of a Sempron Sempron 2400+ compared to the OEM version?

Do yourself a favor and forget about socket A Semprons. Even if you have a
new MB that will do 200MHz FSB (400FSB), the multiplier of the Sempron is
the same as a 1500+ XP (10), so the most speed you will get out of it is
2000MHz (10x200). Now if you have an older MB with only a 133MHz FSB the
Sempron 2400+ will only run at 1333MHz (10x133). So find even a used XP
with a Tbred B core if at all possible, or a Barton core if your board
will do 166MHz FSB. See Sempron in link below. You'll get more speed out
of an XP 1700+ (11*FSB) than you will a Sempron 2400+ at 10xFSB.

a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2005 6:15:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

I'd say it's worth to look if the mobo suppports XP-M processors. In
my online retailer of choice (in Spain) the Barton XP-M 2400+ goes at
the same price as the Sempron 2600+... same rating (if rated with the
Athlon XP ratings) , same price, but surprise surprise, the XP-M has
stock voltage of 1.45 and a Barton core (double the L2 cache),
unlocked multiplier.... need I say which one is better? I wonder if
other retailers price those two similarly. For me, bang for the buck
and sheer overclocking fun is XP-M with Barton core. Socket A
Sempron=bad bad idea , methinks

!