Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with power supply

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 19, 2005 11:02:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

I should probably start by saying, I am not electrical savy. With that
said, keep it simple for me k?

I purchased a Tekken3 arcade game, which originally housed a Street
Fighter2 Championship Edition PCB. I purchased this box with the
intent to gut it out so that I could build a mame system.

I'm using a PC with an Ipac keyboard encoder. I took out the jamma
board as I decided to not build my system around jamma. After taking
out the Jamma board the power supply now doesn't turn on. Unfortuntely,
I tossed the board so now I can't get it back to troubleshoot through
the process of elimination.

My only use for the power supply is so that I can power on the arcade
monitor. I should also add there is a transformer connecting to the
power supply.

Any ideas would be appreciated. thx.

More about : power supply

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2005 12:52:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

A pic?. no i dont have a camera. nothings left of the jamma board. i
tossed it compleltey, but kept the jamma cables.

I think i know whats wrong though. i believe its because the power
supply is "switched" and since theres no pcb board trying to draw power
its failing to start. stupid me. i knew of this concept but didnt think
about it.

anyone with any ways to get past a switched power supply?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2005 1:54:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Can you take a pic of what's left?

Thomas

<christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1116554550.226372.102330@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I should probably start by saying, I am not electrical savy. With that
> said, keep it simple for me k?
>
> I purchased a Tekken3 arcade game, which originally housed a Street
> Fighter2 Championship Edition PCB. I purchased this box with the
> intent to gut it out so that I could build a mame system.
>
> I'm using a PC with an Ipac keyboard encoder. I took out the jamma
> board as I decided to not build my system around jamma. After taking
> out the Jamma board the power supply now doesn't turn on. Unfortuntely,
> I tossed the board so now I can't get it back to troubleshoot through
> the process of elimination.
>
> My only use for the power supply is so that I can power on the arcade
> monitor. I should also add there is a transformer connecting to the
> power supply.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. thx.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2005 4:54:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

I know the JPAC doesn't use any power and you can use it without a power
supply. The reason I asked about a picture is did you remove the Isolation
transformer? If so this is what you need to power your arcade monitor.

Thomas

<christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1116561136.759174.31240@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>A pic?. no i dont have a camera. nothings left of the jamma board. i
> tossed it compleltey, but kept the jamma cables.
>
> I think i know whats wrong though. i believe its because the power
> supply is "switched" and since theres no pcb board trying to draw power
> its failing to start. stupid me. i knew of this concept but didnt think
> about it.
>
> anyone with any ways to get past a switched power supply?
>
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2005 12:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

My monitor is connected to a transformer before the power supply. maybe
this is why there is no draw?

thanks for your responses everyone.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 20, 2005 3:53:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Docrotcod wrote:
> I know the JPAC doesn't use any power and you can use it without a power
> supply. The reason I asked about a picture is did you remove the Isolation
> transformer? If so this is what you need to power your arcade monitor.

If your monitor uses and isolation transformer you might be tempted to
bypass it. RESIST THE TEMPTATION. It is a CRITICAL safety feature.

> <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1116561136.759174.31240@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>A pic?. no i dont have a camera. nothings left of the jamma board. i
>>tossed it compleltey, but kept the jamma cables.
>>
>>I think i know whats wrong though. i believe its because the power
>>supply is "switched" and since theres no pcb board trying to draw power
>>its failing to start. stupid me. i knew of this concept but didnt think
>>about it.

Typically the monitor power comes from the power supply on a couple
separate 110v connections. Your power supply probably has two 110v, a
+12v, +5v, -5v, and maybe a -12v and a couple ground connections. When
it is plugged in it will draw little or no power unless there is a
demand for it, same as a power strip. If your monitor is connected
correctly I assure you it will come on.

>>anyone with any ways to get past a switched power supply?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 21, 2005 2:06:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

cast wrote:
> My monitor is connected to a transformer before the power supply. maybe
> this is why there is no draw?

What is your transformer connected to? You might post in
rec.games.video.arcade.collecting to see if someone can scan you part of
the manual that shows the proper way to wire up your game. Of course
you are only concerned with the monitor part, but there is probably a
diagram in the Tekken3 manual.

The transformer has how many leads? The green one is ground, and
usually fused if IIRC (consult manual or an electrician) and the black
or white are your 110v.

Good luck.
!