Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon I850 Ink Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 1, 2004 3:44:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

When the printing box appears and states that one or two of the color ink
tanks are low should I change them then or will it tell me when they are out
of ink? Also is there a way to check on the status of the tanks before one
starts to print. I have only been able to see the box when it pops up just
before it prints.
Thanks david
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:44:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:44:05 GMT, "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote:

>When the printing box appears and states that one or two of the color ink
>tanks are low should I change them then or will it tell me when they are out
>of ink? Also is there a way to check on the status of the tanks before one
>starts to print. I have only been able to see the box when it pops up just
>before it prints.
>Thanks david
>



I would definately change it or refill the tank now. You can refill
yourself very economically with high quality matched ink for mere
pennies. The low ink indicator refers to the liquid tank that is
empty. Your sponge is still saturated but its not advisable, IMO to
use it much after the warning.

You will keep getting a warning each time you try printing.

I sure wouldnt print many photos thats for sure. You can bring up the
status check any time by right clicking on the printer device and then
properties.
August 1, 2004 10:29:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
news:9sdog098su4gubhdcsh49cum1rhdjnu3i1@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:44:05 GMT, "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote:
>
> >When the printing box appears and states that one or two of the color ink
> >tanks are low should I change them then or will it tell me when they are
out
> >of ink? Also is there a way to check on the status of the tanks before
one
> >starts to print. I have only been able to see the box when it pops up
just
> >before it prints.
> >Thanks david
> >
>
>
>
> I would definately change it or refill the tank now. You can refill
> yourself very economically with high quality matched ink for mere
> pennies. The low ink indicator refers to the liquid tank that is
> empty. Your sponge is still saturated but its not advisable, IMO to
> use it much after the warning.
>
> You will keep getting a warning each time you try printing.
>
> I sure wouldnt print many photos thats for sure. You can bring up the
> status check any time by right clicking on the printer device and then
> properties.
>
>

Thanks beezer for the quick and helpful reply.
In your reply you said "I could refill very economically with high quality
matched ink for mere pennies" can you elaborate more on were and how I
require the ink?
Also Properties,Maintenance (Start Status Monitor) this will only show the
status of the ink when you start to print and not when just want to just
check it?
Thanks again david
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 10:29:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 06:29:27 GMT, "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote:

>Thanks beezer for the quick and helpful reply.
>In your reply you said "I could refill very economically with high quality
>matched ink for mere pennies" can you elaborate more on were and how I
>require the ink?
>Also Properties,Maintenance (Start Status Monitor) this will only show the
>status of the ink when you start to print and not when just want to just
>check it?
>Thanks again david



Im sorry, as SleeperMan mentioned, just turn the printer power on and
look at your status monitor.

As far as the ink, I highly suggest using www.alotofthings.com for the
bulk ink and www.inkjetgoodies you can get blank cartridges that are
made for refilling and sealed with a rubber plug. They also have exit
hole caps that clip on as well.


Refilling your genuine cartridges is not hard to do but for the sake
of ease, I would suggest the buying the blank cartridges and avoid any
accidents that you may have since you are not familiar with refilling.

Either way, it will save you a bundle of money and the ink is
fantastically matched. I would guarantee you could not tell a
difference in your photos
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 10:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have a Cannon i850 and it seems as though the nozzles are blocked. I
tried using the printer software to clean them many times but without any
luck. I did a head aligment and still it won't print. I can't even get it
to print a nozzle pattern that makes much sense. Anyone have an idea of
what could be the problem?

--
Gayle
August 1, 2004 10:28:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:28:30 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Anyone have an idea of
>what could be the problem?

The first thing I would try would be to clean the contacts on the
heads and also clean the mating contacts on the printer. It may be as
simple a thing as the heads not making contact.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 10:28:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:57:45 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:28:30 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
><luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have an idea of
>>what could be the problem?
>
>The first thing I would try would be to clean the contacts on the
>heads and also clean the mating contacts on the printer. It may be as
>simple a thing as the heads not making contact.
>
>Regards,
>TR


If it does turn out to be clogged nozzles and not the contacts then
try this..

http://216.219.159.185/clean.html
August 1, 2004 10:28:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:25:55 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

>http://216.219.159.185/clean.html

Great Link! Leanred a lot on that one. I think the most important
thing that link left me with was: "Never, Never, Never keep a
cartridge out of one of these printers for more than a few minutes."

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 11:17:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

beezer typed:

> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 06:29:27 GMT, "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks beezer for the quick and helpful reply.
>> In your reply you said "I could refill very economically with high
>> quality matched ink for mere pennies" can you elaborate more on were
>> and how I require the ink?
>> Also Properties,Maintenance (Start Status Monitor) this will only
>> show the status of the ink when you start to print and not when just
>> want to just check it?
>> Thanks again david
>
>
>
> Im sorry, as SleeperMan mentioned, just turn the printer power on and
> look at your status monitor.
>
> As far as the ink, I highly suggest using www.alotofthings.com for the
> bulk ink and www.inkjetgoodies you can get blank cartridges that are
> made for refilling and sealed with a rubber plug. They also have exit
> hole caps that clip on as well.
>
>
> Refilling your genuine cartridges is not hard to do but for the sake
> of ease, I would suggest the buying the blank cartridges and avoid any
> accidents that you may have since you are not familiar with refilling.
>
> Either way, it will save you a bundle of money and the ink is
> fantastically matched. I would guarantee you could not tell a
> difference in your photos

Just small comment...
I refill original carts and as supplier of ink told me, i drilled small
(1mm) hole at the top and each time i seal it with electrical tape and it
holds like a blast. Canons is really the easiest to refill - dum easy, i
would say.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 11:17:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:17:11 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>Just small comment...
>I refill original carts and as supplier of ink told me, i drilled small
>(1mm) hole at the top and each time i seal it with electrical tape and it
>holds like a blast. Canons is really the easiest to refill - dum easy, i
>would say.


Very true.. I also refill my genuine cartridges. I drill a hole large
enough to vent as I inject ink. I then seal it with clear good
quality box tape.

You can then squeegie it with your fingers and be assure there are no
air pockets to be seen.

OH, just another point if he is considering refilling originals, save
your old breakoff seals and hold them in place with a rubber band. And
for storage, dont forget to tape over the vent hole as original
cartridges are and or store in a airtight ziplock bag to be sure.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 5:08:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Gee Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm now sure what you mean when you
refer to the mating contacts. Are these the electrical contacts on the back
of the plastic thing that the heads are in? Somewhere in my manual it
advised not to touch these so I was being very careful not to. What do I
clean these with?
This could be the problem because when I try to print the nozzle pattern it
looks like dots and dashes and streaks of color. If it's worked there are
no signs of letters same thing kind of like dots and dashes. I did wonder
if the software could be corrupt so I did an uninstall and reinstalled it.
Thanks again
Gayle
August 2, 2004 5:08:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:08:51 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>What do I clean these with?

I use a lint free rag (a square cut out of an old cotton T-Shirt) and
put some rubbing alcohol on it (not saturating to the point its
dripping, just damp with it) and rub the head contacts and mating
printer side contacts with that, making sure not to touch anything
else. I used this method for years on the HP carts (built in heads)
and the mating contacts on the printer side with success. When I got
this new i960, I cleaned the head contacts and mating printer contacts
on it before even inserting it for the first time just in case.

Now, some have told me not to use alcohol but they can't tell me why.
They use clear bottled water instead.

Keep us advised......

Regards,
TR
August 2, 2004 5:08:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:08:51 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Now I'm now sure what you mean when you
>refer to the mating contacts. Are these the electrical contacts on the back
>of the plastic thing that the heads are in? Somewhere in my manual it
>advised not to touch these so I was being very careful not to.

Sorry, forgot to answer the other part of your question in my last
reply...

Yes, those little contacts on the back of the plastic housing the
heads are in and the contacts on the printer that they would press up
against when installed.

Yes, they say not to touch them but they mean with your fingers
because your natural body oil will get on them and they will not make
good contact then. From my HP days, I leaned that these contacts are
real sensitive about getting contaminated. We have a printer in the
hanger where it is exposed to all kinds of grit and grime and engine
exhaust. It doesn't last more than a week without needing those
contacts cleaned. And we aren't doing any more than printing out
black ink maintenance reports and schedules with it.

I have a friend that still smokes and still smokes around his
computer. He's also always having to clean those contacts more than
normal and I would say it has something to do with his smoking in
close proximity to the printer.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 6:06:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks a lot for the information I can't wait to see if it works. I'll be
keeping my fingers crossed.

Gayle
August 2, 2004 7:10:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
news:cmaqg0le2f02cs300qsr81ic5md4314v2o@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:17:11 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>
> >Just small comment...
> >I refill original carts and as supplier of ink told me, i drilled small
> >(1mm) hole at the top and each time i seal it with electrical tape and it
> >holds like a blast. Canons is really the easiest to refill - dum easy, i
> >would say.
>
>
> Very true.. I also refill my genuine cartridges. I drill a hole large
> enough to vent as I inject ink. I then seal it with clear good
> quality box tape.
>
> You can then squeegie it with your fingers and be assure there are no
> air pockets to be seen.
>
> OH, just another point if he is considering refilling originals, save
> your old breakoff seals and hold them in place with a rubber band. And
> for storage, dont forget to tape over the vent hole as original
> cartridges are and or store in a airtight ziplock bag to be sure.
>
>
>
Thank you beezer and SleeperMan for you replies.
I will order my next ink refill from the web sight beezer suggested and
inkjetgoodies for the blank cartridges.
Thanks again david
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 10:29:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:33:25 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>
>Now, some have told me not to use alcohol but they can't tell me why.
>They use clear bottled water instead.
>
>Keep us advised......
>
>Regards,
>TR


The reason would be that alcohol leaves a film and its not the best
cleaner for electronics as it may cause corrosino over time. In this
case, there are no components to corrode but the film will exist.

Given the life and age of these printer, I highly doubt that alcohol
will cause any problems during the printers usefull life.
August 2, 2004 7:11:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 06:29:03 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

>The reason would be that alcohol leaves a film and its not the best
>cleaner for electronics as it may cause corrosino over time. In this
>case, there are no components to corrode but the film will exist.

Okay, got ya'..... Then distilled water (bottled drinking water)
should do the job just fine.

>Given the life and age of these printer, I highly doubt that alcohol
>will cause any problems during the printers usefull life.

Probably not, but the film thing could be of concern although I don't
think it has ever played a factor in my old HP unit which is the one I
did this ritual cleaning to before going with this new i960.

Back to the original reason for doing the cleaning.... With that old
HP-952c, every time it would start doing funny things, leading me to
contact cleaning, I would always get a little coloration (black
mostly) on the cleaning rag after swiping it across the contacts.
That led me to believe that over time, these inkjets do a buildup of
ink "dusting" around the immediate area to the heads. In other words,
with every page printed, you get a infinitesimal amount of "over
spray" so to speak that starts building up with time. Or at least it
seemed so on the HP-952c. Whether it does on other
brands/makes/models I don't know but I did get this discoloration on
the cleaning rag when cleaning the contacts on the HP-952c every 2-3
months of usage.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 8:33:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:11:07 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 06:29:03 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
>
>>The reason would be that alcohol leaves a film and its not the best
>>cleaner for electronics as it may cause corrosino over time. In this
>>case, there are no components to corrode but the film will exist.
>
>Okay, got ya'..... Then distilled water (bottled drinking water)
>should do the job just fine.
>
>>Given the life and age of these printer, I highly doubt that alcohol
>>will cause any problems during the printers usefull life.
>
>Probably not, but the film thing could be of concern although I don't
>think it has ever played a factor in my old HP unit which is the one I
>did this ritual cleaning to before going with this new i960.
>
>Back to the original reason for doing the cleaning.... With that old
>HP-952c, every time it would start doing funny things, leading me to
>contact cleaning, I would always get a little coloration (black
>mostly) on the cleaning rag after swiping it across the contacts.
>That led me to believe that over time, these inkjets do a buildup of
>ink "dusting" around the immediate area to the heads. In other words,
>with every page printed, you get a infinitesimal amount of "over
>spray" so to speak that starts building up with time. Or at least it
>seemed so on the HP-952c. Whether it does on other
>brands/makes/models I don't know but I did get this discoloration on
>the cleaning rag when cleaning the contacts on the HP-952c every 2-3
>months of usage.
>
>Regards,
>TR


Ive never cleaned my contacts and never removed the 960 head yet but
when i decide to do a full pressure cleaning for the hell of it, I
will certainly check out the contacts for dirt and let ya know.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:21:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I cleaned the contacts on the printer today but it didn't seem to help. The
contacts on the printer are like needles sticking out and a bit difficult to
clean. That are on an angle pointing downward so I just moistened a piece
of knit fabric and rubbed them in a downward motion. The contacts on the
head are flat and were easy to clean. I did try wiping both of them a few
times. I guess the only thing I can do is try ordering the cleaner and see
if that helps. I hate spending the money if it doesn't work. After this I
don't know if I would buy another Cannon printer. The printer is only about
15 months old and has problems. I had an Epson about 4 years and whenever I
had a printing problem I just used the software and cleaned the nozzles and
everything was fine. I really liked the speed of the Cannon but this
problem is a bummer.

--
Gayle
August 3, 2004 5:21:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:21:03 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I cleaned the contacts on the printer today but it didn't seem to help.

Sorry that that was not the problem Gayle. That would have been the
easiest and no cost fix if it had been the root of the problem.

I think maybe next step would be to do the suggestion that Beezer
posted at http://216.219.159.185/clean.html

A little more complicated than cleaning the contacts but another
inexpensive thing to try before getting more involved and spending
more money to try and fix this thing.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 9:45:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:21:03 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I cleaned the contacts on the printer today but it didn't seem to help. The
>contacts on the printer are like needles sticking out and a bit difficult to
>clean. That are on an angle pointing downward so I just moistened a piece
>of knit fabric and rubbed them in a downward motion. The contacts on the
>head are flat and were easy to clean. I did try wiping both of them a few
>times. I guess the only thing I can do is try ordering the cleaner and see
>if that helps. I hate spending the money if it doesn't work. After this I
>don't know if I would buy another Cannon printer. The printer is only about
>15 months old and has problems. I had an Epson about 4 years and whenever I
>had a printing problem I just used the software and cleaned the nozzles and
>everything was fine. I really liked the speed of the Cannon but this
>problem is a bummer.


I am wondering what led up to your trouble. Have you let the unit idle
for long periods? Exactly what was the circumstances between your
last good print and the trouble you had now?

Have you left the unit unplugged?

I have an 850 as well (15 months or so) and I barely use it. Maybe
once a month if its lucky since I got a 960 five months ago. But my
850 still runs like a champ. No signs of clogging and the nozzle
checks print perfectly.

I never manually ran the cleaning utility. It only takes care of
itsself when it needs to.

I was just wondering what your situations was that led up to the
trouble you are having because obviously, I couldnt neglect the
printer more than you by letting it sit idle.
August 3, 2004 12:55:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 05:45:05 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

>Have you left the unit unplugged?

Does that effect something? We have a bit of a problem with
lightning running in where I have my i960. Even though it is plugged
into a UPS, I still unplug everything at the end of the day or during
storms. IOW, the printer is unplugged 12 - 14 hours/day.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:28:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 08:55:49 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 05:45:05 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
>
>>Have you left the unit unplugged?
>
>Does that effect something? We have a bit of a problem with
>lightning running in where I have my i960. Even though it is plugged
>into a UPS, I still unplug everything at the end of the day or during
>storms. IOW, the printer is unplugged 12 - 14 hours/day.
>
>Regards,
>TR


Naw that doesnt bother anything but from what i gather, it does erase
its memory status as far as cleaning. If you notice never ending
cleaning cycles, that would be the reason why.

Of course unplugging it prior to the heads parking is not a good
thing, LOL... who knows what the case may be for the problem printer.
I was just curious and wanted to find out
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 5:52:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I never unplug the printer since I use it quite frequently. I put in new
cartridges just recently. They were generics and the first time I was using
them. After putting them in I printed about 60 pages and it was fine. I
had another print job to do and it printed about 5 pages and then the
printer acted up and the print was totally unreadable. It never worked right
since then. Do any of you refill your cartridges or use generics? I could
never afford to buy name brands with the amount of printing I do.
Gayle
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 01:52:11 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I never unplug the printer since I use it quite frequently. I put in new
>cartridges just recently. They were generics and the first time I was using
>them. After putting them in I printed about 60 pages and it was fine. I
>had another print job to do and it printed about 5 pages and then the
>printer acted up and the print was totally unreadable. It never worked right
>since then. Do any of you refill your cartridges or use generics? I could
>never afford to buy name brands with the amount of printing I do.
>Gayle


see NOW we know the real story.. GENERICS!!!! Now we know the rest of
the story..

Yes, I bet 99.9% that the generics you used is what clogged the print
head. I been using bulk refill ink from a reputable source. Its the
best bulk ink and very economical. (about 3 dollars to refill all
colors)

I would definately use the cleaning method that I posted. You do not
need anything special, just a syringe and tubing or even a straw
fitted to it to enclose the head intake as shown.

Im sure after that, you will have no trouble. Use ink from reputable
sources and you will never have trouble again.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 6:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Who would you consider a reputable source. The cartridges I used were from
"Best Ink Buy Ozark Ink". A friend of mine was also using their ink on a
cannon and never had any trouble so this is why I tried it. He had a Cannon
printer but a different model than mine. His was a lower end printer. He
did have some trouble with that printer but not with the nozzles blocking he
would get messages like " empty ink cartridges" when the cartridge wasn't
empty. His printer was under warranty at the time so they did fix it but it
wasn't long before he had problems again. He ended up buying a new printer.
Thanks again for you help in this matter it is really appreciated. Just
hope the cleaning works.

Gayle
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:32:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:58:46 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Who would you consider a reputable source. The cartridges I used were from
>"Best Ink Buy Ozark Ink". A friend of mine was also using their ink on a
>cannon and never had any trouble so this is why I tried it. He had a Cannon
>printer but a different model than mine. His was a lower end printer. He
>did have some trouble with that printer but not with the nozzles blocking he
>would get messages like " empty ink cartridges" when the cartridge wasn't
>empty. His printer was under warranty at the time so they did fix it but it
>wasn't long before he had problems again. He ended up buying a new printer.
>Thanks again for you help in this matter it is really appreciated. Just
>hope the cleaning works.
>
>Gayle
>



Several well known popular dealers would be.....

www.alotofthings.com my favorite
www.atlaticinkjet.com
www.weink.com


I can not speak for the earlier models of canons but there is no such
thing as generic inks... Your canon uses a specific formula and each
printer will very somewhat in ink hue and viscosity (thinkness)

So... what is good for one printer, may be total death to another. Go
with the sources I listed. Do get bulk ink and refill your originals
or you may get blank cartridges made for refilling at
www.inkjetgoodies.com

keep us posted on your progress
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:47:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"david" <anoname@att.com> wrote in message
news:99WOc.160110$OB3.69676@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> When the printing box appears and states that one or two of the color ink
> tanks are low should I change them then or will it tell me when they are
out
> of ink? Also is there a way to check on the status of the tanks before
one
> starts to print. I have only been able to see the box when it pops up just
> before it prints.
> Thanks david
>

There is no need to change them at that point and in fact you can generally
get several more photos out of them. The printer will actually again signal
when the ink tank is empty. Also due to the process used to determine ink
level you can actually throw off the accuracy by changing the tank prior to
it being empty (though this can easily be corrected).
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:49:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
news:9sdog098su4gubhdcsh49cum1rhdjnu3i1@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:44:05 GMT, "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote:
>
> >When the printing box appears and states that one or two of the color ink
> >tanks are low should I change them then or will it tell me when they are
out
> >of ink? Also is there a way to check on the status of the tanks before
one
> >starts to print. I have only been able to see the box when it pops up
just
> >before it prints.
> >Thanks david
> >
>
>
>
> I would definately change it or refill the tank now. You can refill
> yourself very economically with high quality matched ink for mere
> pennies. The low ink indicator refers to the liquid tank that is
> empty. Your sponge is still saturated but its not advisable, IMO to
> use it much after the warning.

It is actually designeds to continue using until you actually receive an
'xxx Ink is Empty' warning.

>
> You will keep getting a warning each time you try printing.
>

Yes, but it will continue to print

> I sure wouldnt print many photos thats for sure. You can bring up the
> status check any time by right clicking on the printer device and then
> properties.
>

When the tank is empty the print process will stop and you will get a
warning to replace the tank at that time.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:51:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"david" <anoname@att.com> wrote in message
news:b50Pc.364351$Gx4.143328@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
> "beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
> news:9sdog098su4gubhdcsh49cum1rhdjnu3i1@4ax.com...
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:44:05 GMT, "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote:
> >
> > >When the printing box appears and states that one or two of the color
ink
> > >tanks are low should I change them then or will it tell me when they
are
> out
> > >of ink? Also is there a way to check on the status of the tanks before
> one
> > >starts to print. I have only been able to see the box when it pops up
> just
> > >before it prints.
> > >Thanks david
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > I would definately change it or refill the tank now. You can refill
> > yourself very economically with high quality matched ink for mere
> > pennies. The low ink indicator refers to the liquid tank that is
> > empty. Your sponge is still saturated but its not advisable, IMO to
> > use it much after the warning.
> >
> > You will keep getting a warning each time you try printing.
> >
> > I sure wouldnt print many photos thats for sure. You can bring up the
> > status check any time by right clicking on the printer device and then
> > properties.
> >
> >
>
> Thanks beezer for the quick and helpful reply.
> In your reply you said "I could refill very economically with high quality
> matched ink for mere pennies" can you elaborate more on were and how I
> require the ink?
> Also Properties,Maintenance (Start Status Monitor) this will only show the
> status of the ink when you start to print and not when just want to just
> check it?
> Thanks again david
>

Only economical if you never have problems from third party inks (image
quality, wasted paper, clogged printheads, etc).
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:55:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Gayle Faraday" <luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:iDaPc.162651$OB3.20426@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I have a Cannon i850 and it seems as though the nozzles are blocked. I
> tried using the printer software to clean them many times but without any
> luck. I did a head aligment and still it won't print. I can't even get
it
> to print a nozzle pattern that makes much sense. Anyone have an idea of
> what could be the problem?
>
> --

If the nozzle test is being executed from the printer (not the driver) and
is missing parts of the grids after the cleanings, then a printhead
replacement is *probably* in order. If the printer is still under warranty
then the printhead is also covered in the U.S. and most other countries.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:04:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Gayle Faraday" <luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:D ugPc.368965$Gx4.142196@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Gee Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm now sure what you mean when you
> refer to the mating contacts. Are these the electrical contacts on the
back
> of the plastic thing that the heads are in? Somewhere in my manual it
> advised not to touch these so I was being very careful not to. What do I
> clean these with?

The manual is correct and it is not recommended that you touch these
contacts.
I am suprised at some of the responses I am seeing to your question here,
especially when no one has bothered to ask if the printer was in warranty.

> This could be the problem because when I try to print the nozzle pattern
it
> looks like dots and dashes and streaks of color. If it's worked there are
> no signs of letters same thing kind of like dots and dashes. I did wonder
> if the software could be corrupt so I did an uninstall and reinstalled it.
> Thanks again

I also have not seen anyone ask if these symptoms were during a self test,
or only when printing from the PC. (corrupt drivers, bad cables, and many
other causes are possible if only when printing from PC?

If this is happening on a self-test and you have already tried reseating the
ink tanks and performed 3 consecutive cleanings, then yes it is *possible*
that the printhead is the issue. If in warranty give Canon a call. If not
you can get a replacement through Canon Parts or any of their authorized
service centers. As for cleaning the contacts, doubtful it will work and
definately not recommended to do on the printer side as damage to the
carriage or encoder is possible if care is not taken in this area.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
news:es5rg0dk9vr0fej7bcc12o7ao63fdv9ira@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:08:51 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
> <luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >What do I clean these with?
>
> I use a lint free rag (a square cut out of an old cotton T-Shirt) and
> put some rubbing alcohol on it (not saturating to the point its
> dripping, just damp with it) and rub the head contacts and mating
> printer side contacts with that, making sure not to touch anything
> else. I used this method for years on the HP carts (built in heads)
> and the mating contacts on the printer side with success. When I got
> this new i960, I cleaned the head contacts and mating printer contacts
> on it before even inserting it for the first time just in case.
>
> Now, some have told me not to use alcohol but they can't tell me why.
> They use clear bottled water instead.
>

Because the alcohol can 'etch' the service of the printhead. Not a good
thing if you are interested in print quality.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:08:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
news:gm5sg098oggaf1sscp576jakg7flcem7hd@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:33:25 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >Now, some have told me not to use alcohol but they can't tell me why.
> >They use clear bottled water instead.
> >
> >Keep us advised......
> >
> >Regards,
> >TR
>
>
> The reason would be that alcohol leaves a film and its not the best
> cleaner for electronics as it may cause corrosino over time. In this
> case, there are no components to corrode but the film will exist.

Just what kind of alchohol are you using that would leave a film???
Budweiser is certainly not recommended!

>
> Given the life and age of these printer, I highly doubt that alcohol
> will cause any problems during the printers usefull life.
>

An i850 is not that old a printer and I would DEFINITELY advise against the
use of alcohol .
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:17:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
news:jm6rg01vs9jsqq06a1ukctgeomqlo07tgm@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:08:51 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
> <luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Now I'm now sure what you mean when you
> >refer to the mating contacts. Are these the electrical contacts on the
back
> >of the plastic thing that the heads are in? Somewhere in my manual it
> >advised not to touch these so I was being very careful not to.
>
> Sorry, forgot to answer the other part of your question in my last
> reply...
>
> Yes, those little contacts on the back of the plastic housing the
> heads are in and the contacts on the printer that they would press up
> against when installed.
>
> Yes, they say not to touch them but they mean with your fingers
> because your natural body oil will get on them and they will not make
> good contact then.

The reasoning is more related to damage from static than oil from your skin
(though if you just finished eating some fried chicken, I guess that could
also be a problem). The printhead contains so micro-electronics that are
very suceptible to voltage and can easily be damaged (as many computer
components) by a sudden discharge of static.

From my HP days, I leaned that these contacts are
> real sensitive about getting contaminated. We have a printer in the
> hanger where it is exposed to all kinds of grit and grime and engine
> exhaust. It doesn't last more than a week without needing those
> contacts cleaned. And we aren't doing any more than printing out
> black ink maintenance reports and schedules with it.
>
> I have a friend that still smokes and still smokes around his
> computer. He's also always having to clean those contacts more than
> normal and I would say it has something to do with his smoking in
> close proximity to the printer.
>

My wife smokes heavily (a nasty habit by the way) and has a tendency to set
her ash tray directly in front of my printers. I have never had to clean the
contacts on any printer I have owned and all have lasted me years of worry
free operation. If the printhead to carriage contacts are mated properly to
begin with, no smoke is going to build up in there to 'break' that contact.
Now oxidation from other elements in the air in the type of environment you
describe is a different possibility, but your operating area is hardly the
norm.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:21:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Gayle Faraday" <luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:3MBPc.167195$OB3.95480@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I cleaned the contacts on the printer today but it didn't seem to help.
The
> contacts on the printer are like needles sticking out and a bit difficult
to
> clean. That are on an angle pointing downward so I just moistened a piece
> of knit fabric and rubbed them in a downward motion. The contacts on the
> head are flat and were easy to clean. I did try wiping both of them a few
> times. I guess the only thing I can do is try ordering the cleaner and
see
> if that helps. I hate spending the money if it doesn't work. After this
I
> don't know if I would buy another Cannon printer. The printer is only
about
> 15 months old and has problems. I had an Epson about 4 years and whenever
I
> had a printing problem I just used the software and cleaned the nozzles
and
> everything was fine. I really liked the speed of the Cannon but this
> problem is a bummer.
>
> --

After only 15 months this is definitely not a normal condition. If this has
been an on going issue, may be worth giving Canon a call. It certainly can't
hurt being a toll free call and all.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:24:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
news:3i2vg0hjl6feplogeiu0g2e3g90e11stgu@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 05:45:05 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
>
> >Have you left the unit unplugged?
>
> Does that effect something? We have a bit of a problem with
> lightning running in where I have my i960. Even though it is plugged
> into a UPS, I still unplug everything at the end of the day or during
> storms. IOW, the printer is unplugged 12 - 14 hours/day.
>

As long as the printer is first powered off by its power switch, or has been
more than 45 seconds since last print job then unplugging it will have no
effect on clogged printheads. This is because when you power the printer off
it parks and caps the printhead to prevent clogging. It also automatically
does this approximately 45 seconds after the last print job was completed.
August 5, 2004 1:52:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:06:11 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>Because the alcohol can 'etch' the service of the printhead. Not a good
>thing if you are interested in print quality.

I'm not cleaning the heads with alcohol, just the contacts with a lint
free cloth that is dampened with alcohol.

[From original message the we are suppose to be referring to]
> rub the head contacts and mating printer side contacts with that,
> making sure not to touch anything else

Regards,
TR
August 5, 2004 1:59:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:17:45 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>> It doesn't last more than a week without needing those
>> contacts cleaned.

>but your operating area is hardly the norm.

And after reading your reply, I see that I made a wrong statement
about how often we have to clean those contacts... I meant to say
that we it doesn't last more than a month without needing those
contacts cleaned.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 10:26:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:49:53 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>It is actually designeds to continue using until you actually receive an
>'xxx Ink is Empty' warning.


Yes, but for refilling, it is not good to let the sponge desaturate
and who knows how long it would sit idle while its drying up and
becoming useless to hold ink.
August 5, 2004 1:32:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 06:26:44 -0400, beezer <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

>Yes, but for refilling, it is not good to let the sponge desaturate
>and who knows how long it would sit idle while its drying up and
>becoming useless to hold ink.

That brings up a question I have concerning this. If I am going to
have a set of "extra" filled carts sitting by to use when the carts in
the i960 get low, are there any storage specific I should pay
attention to beside making sure I cap the outlets?

BTW, the caps I have will be the caps that came on the OEM carts and I
don't know if any caps come with the unfilled spares I order but I
assume the OEM caps will work on them if they don't provide any with
them.

Regards,
TR
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 7:17:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:32:14 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>
>That brings up a question I have concerning this. If I am going to
>have a set of "extra" filled carts sitting by to use when the carts in
>the i960 get low, are there any storage specific I should pay
>attention to beside making sure I cap the outlets?
>
>BTW, the caps I have will be the caps that came on the OEM carts and I
>don't know if any caps come with the unfilled spares I order but I
>assume the OEM caps will work on them if they don't provide any with
>them.
>
>Regards,
>TR


If you ordered blanks from inkjetgoodies or weink.com then yes, they
come with clip on caps.

Any cap that came with your cartridge will work fine.. hold in place
with rubberbands. Ive never knows any type of cartridge that did not
come with caps.

If you happen to have the need to seal the exit hole without caps, use
some heavy duty duct tape or good quality celophane box tape.

As far as storage, I dont think there are requirements but what I like
to do is lay them on their sides so keep the ink dispursed evening
throughout the sponge and I flip them over to the otherside every
month or so but Im sure none of that is needed.

Laying on the side prior to installing does help in eliminating the
dripping. I do blot the exit ports and bleed them prior to installing
to make sure they are clean and ink is flowing and wipe the inside rip
to ensure there is no dried ink particles that could get into the
head.

When one color is needing replacement, I replace every color wether
its full or not just to keep the cartridges rotated and used.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 9:34:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
news:lc15h0hib3v8vti7kqgsbknh79r5pgbusl@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:32:14 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >That brings up a question I have concerning this. If I am going to
> >have a set of "extra" filled carts sitting by to use when the carts in
> >the i960 get low, are there any storage specific I should pay
> >attention to beside making sure I cap the outlets?
> >
> >BTW, the caps I have will be the caps that came on the OEM carts and I
> >don't know if any caps come with the unfilled spares I order but I
> >assume the OEM caps will work on them if they don't provide any with
> >them.
> >
> >Regards,
> >TR
>
>

The OEM carts for this and all S, i and IP series have a break away twist
off cap which can not be re-attached (unless you care to glue it on!)
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 10:55:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:34:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>The OEM carts for this and all S, i and IP series have a break away twist
>off cap which can not be re-attached (unless you care to glue it on!)


Thats silly
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:47:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rubber bands work just fine.
--
Ron Cohen

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
news:5OxQc.10572$Bb.7690@lakeread08...
>
> "beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
> news:lc15h0hib3v8vti7kqgsbknh79r5pgbusl@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:32:14 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >That brings up a question I have concerning this. If I am going to
> > >have a set of "extra" filled carts sitting by to use when the carts in
> > >the i960 get low, are there any storage specific I should pay
> > >attention to beside making sure I cap the outlets?
> > >
> > >BTW, the caps I have will be the caps that came on the OEM carts and I
> > >don't know if any caps come with the unfilled spares I order but I
> > >assume the OEM caps will work on them if they don't provide any with
> > >them.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >TR
> >
> >
>
> The OEM carts for this and all S, i and IP series have a break away twist
> off cap which can not be re-attached (unless you care to glue it on!)
>
>
>


---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.734 / Virus Database: 488 - Release Date: 8/4/2004
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:47:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:47:44 GMT, "Ron Cohen"
<drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Rubber bands work just fine.


They sure do.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:25:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I've been checking out the link you sent for ink supplies. There only seems
to be one place to get the cleaner for the head which is what I think I need
to try first. I also what to purchase a new set of cartridges in case the
ones I'm using are no good and the fault of my problems.
http://216.219.159.185/clean.html
The above link is one that you sent and seems to be the only one that has a
cleaner for the heads. Do you think their ink is of good quality? If so I
would order the cleaner and refills at the same time.

I don't want to order a lot of ink till I know I can get the printer
working.
Gayle
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:25:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:25:10 GMT, "Gayle Faraday"
<luvtoso@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I've been checking out the link you sent for ink supplies. There only seems
>to be one place to get the cleaner for the head which is what I think I need
>to try first. I also what to purchase a new set of cartridges in case the
>ones I'm using are no good and the fault of my problems.
>http://216.219.159.185/clean.html
>The above link is one that you sent and seems to be the only one that has a
>cleaner for the heads. Do you think their ink is of good quality? If so I
>would order the cleaner and refills at the same time.
>
>I don't want to order a lot of ink till I know I can get the printer
>working.
>Gayle
>
>


Ok well you truely can use windex for your cleaning purposes. Make
sure its the type that has amonia. Give that a whirl. If you have a
syringe laying around, find a stray or tubing that you can glue to it
that would allow you to create the cleaning technique per the
instructions....

I highly highly suggest you do not use the ink you have in there now.
As I mentioned earlier, you should absolutely not use generic inks in
the printer. Your next clog from them may end up burning the head up
beyond repair...

Order yourself a small bulk ink kit from one of the reputable sources
that people highly suggest here.

also, you may want to get the blank cartridges as Ive suggested
earlier to fill with the fresh bulk ink that you should get.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:45:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
news:9me5h05hjmk9l86d99qn5ujcu7bpjfdr2r@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:34:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:
>
> >The OEM carts for this and all S, i and IP series have a break away twist
> >off cap which can not be re-attached (unless you care to glue it on!)
>
>
> Thats silly
>

What's silly ???? The fact that someone thinks you can place these break
away caps back on forming the needed air tight seal (which you can not). I
don't find it half as silly as forcing harsh cleaners into the intake ports
on a precision printhead. Amazes me how many will do this and then post in
these groups about the poor print quality they experienced with their brand
XXX printer.
Or advice like don't by the generics, but instead get the bulk inks
recommended by people here in the newsgroup. If you are buying bulk non OEM,
you are buying generic.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 3:45:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:45:37 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>What's silly ???? The fact that someone thinks you can place these break
>away caps back on forming the needed air tight seal (which you can not). I
>don't find it half as silly as forcing harsh cleaners into the intake ports
>on a precision printhead. Amazes me how many will do this and then post in
>these groups about the poor print quality they experienced with their brand
>XXX printer.
>Or advice like don't by the generics, but instead get the bulk inks
>recommended by people here in the newsgroup. If you are buying bulk non OEM,
>you are buying generic.



Buying proven generics that are formulated and matched to meet the
standards of OEM ink is completely different than buying inks that
claim to work in ALL printers...

You do not know what you buy with those "Works in all printers" inks.
Are they pigmented, too thick, too thin? who knows. If you buy
formulabs ink which is proven time and time again, thats a different
story.

Used caps reinstalled with rubberbands offer as much or more
compression as the original seal. Surely after 16 months of use I
would have noticed leaking or drying if they were not.

People don't want to buy a new printhead due to a difficult clog or
brand new OEM ink when they run out. What they do want in here is
economical refilling information and proven repair techniques.

People come here for solutions to lower their cost of operation or
perhaps fix their mistakes of buying unproven inks that cause
clogging. They do not come here to be told to buy retail OEM products
for their printers, thats a no brainer.
!