Unlocked Barton 2500+ cannot boot to 1.833?

Model number AGXEA0328MPMW: at first it would post at 2200mhz but now
not even that. It posts up to 2000mhz but will not boot into WinXP at
any speed within 100mhz of 1833, regardless of the fsb speed,
multiplier, vcore strength, ram timings or vdimm settings.

Is the cpu bad? Or is this typical of Barton, or early Bartons? Is
WinXP rebelling against Barton? I have done several clean re-installs
of XP on both nForce2 and KT880 mobos, it makes no difference, despite
changing the bios respectively for each.

Can HDD errors do this? The drive (Maxtor 133) has been wiped and
re-formatted several times also. Although I have read of many
successful o/c's of 2500+ to 3200+ I realize my mileage will vary.
However it seems this particular Barton has no juice.

Is there something I am missing or is this one a dud? Any useful
suggestions appreciated, and thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about unlocked barton 2500 boot

    theredpriest@altavista.com wrote:
    > Model number AGXEA0328MPMW: at first it would post at 2200mhz but now
    > not even that. It posts up to 2000mhz but will not boot into WinXP at
    > any speed within 100mhz of 1833, regardless of the fsb speed,
    > multiplier, vcore strength, ram timings or vdimm settings.
    >
    > Is the cpu bad? Or is this typical of Barton, or early Bartons? Is
    > WinXP rebelling against Barton? I have done several clean re-installs
    > of XP on both nForce2 and KT880 mobos, it makes no difference, despite
    > changing the bios respectively for each.
    >
    > Can HDD errors do this? The drive (Maxtor 133) has been wiped and
    > re-formatted several times also. Although I have read of many
    > successful o/c's of 2500+ to 3200+ I realize my mileage will vary.
    > However it seems this particular Barton has no juice.
    >
    > Is there something I am missing or is this one a dud? Any useful
    > suggestions appreciated, and thanks

    definately a dud (i'll take it if you don't want it)

    M. Bezzel wrote:
    > definately a dud (i'll take it if you don't want it)

    Okay Bezel, I admit it, imahstoopidsheet. Now, why in hell doesn't
    this Barton boot to XP? I could assume my Maxton HDD as my culprit,
    despite repeated wipings and re-installs of XP, without errors. I have
    yet to try my WD Caviar as the boot device for it. Oh, and I forgot to
    add my ram is Kingston PC-3500 and I've ran it up to 452mhz stable at
    default timings with vdimm at 2.8 on an XP2400+. Think I feel like
    returning an UNLOCKED Barton, as rare as they are....NOOOOO!

    Guess I just have to exhaust every other possibility. I think that was
    the whole reason for my post, to try and figure out what else is left.

    theredpriest@altavista.com wrote:
    > M. Bezzel wrote:
    >
    >>definately a dud (i'll take it if you don't want it)
    >

    > Okay Bezel, I admit it, imahstoopidsheet. Now, why in hell doesn't
    > this Barton boot to XP? I could assume my Maxton HDD as my culprit,
    > despite repeated wipings and re-installs of XP, without errors. I have
    > yet to try my WD Caviar as the boot device for it. Oh, and I forgot to
    > add my ram is Kingston PC-3500 and I've ran it up to 452mhz stable at
    > default timings with vdimm at 2.8 on an XP2400+. Think I feel like
    > returning an UNLOCKED Barton, as rare as they are....NOOOOO!
    >
    > Guess I just have to exhaust every other possibility. I think that was
    > the whole reason for my post, to try and figure out what else is left.

    Have you tried putting your 2400+ or another processor in your setup to
    see if that works? If it still doesn't work then there is something
    wrong with your setup, or your bios settings. But then you said that you
    tried it in two different mobos, sure seems like it would be the
    processor. I had a similar nightmare with an nvidia board, but it
    wouldn't even load windows at stock speeds. The ram was the culprit,
    worked great in a different board but nvidia didn't like it, swapped it
    for some cheep generic ram and it worked perfect. (i'll still take it
    off your hands if you dont want it)

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:04:38 -0800, theredpriest wrote:

    > Model number AGXEA0328MPMW: at first it would post at 2200mhz but now
    > not even that. It posts up to 2000mhz but will not boot into WinXP at
    > any speed within 100mhz of 1833, regardless of the fsb speed,
    > multiplier, vcore strength, ram timings or vdimm settings.

    Don't use the OS to test. Boot from floppy or cd first. I use a memtest CD
    to test the stability before ever booting from the HD. if the ssytem isn't
    stable and you boot from the HD, it's likely to get corrupted and then
    when you do have the cpu stable it still screws up because of the
    corrupted OS.

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote
    > Don't use the OS to test. Boot from floppy or cd first. I use a memtest CD
    > to test the stability before ever booting from the HD. if the ssytem isn't
    > stable and you boot from the HD, it's likely to get corrupted and then
    > when you do have the cpu stable it still screws up because of the
    > corrupted OS.

    I use a great way around that problem, using bootitng partition and boot
    manager. I keep all my data in its own 5gig partition, with Windows in its
    own 10gig partition. Now, I copy the Windows partition to empty space a
    couple of times, and I have a backup copy and one to boot and play with
    that's dispensable. Actually I can make a whole bunch of them, and they will
    boot from the slave too. In the boot menu I show each one I'm going to boot
    the data partition. When they boot they sometimes don't know they've moved
    to another hd location, sometimes they set it up and say reboot me.

    (Of course I back up the data to DVD multisession. And I image Windows to
    DVD.)

    It's great to be able to tear up a copy of Windows that's a clone of the
    real one and then throw it out, or just test a new program or driver. If I
    just copied the main partition and the new software works out, I can switch
    to the test partition as the new main one, or go ahead and install it again
    in the main one.

    I have the favorites and e-mail folders on the data partition, but there are
    a couple of things on C: that I can't move so I run a batch file that copies
    them to the data partition for backup.

    Anyhow, I totally agree with pass memtest86 first. If that works, then
    prime95 still may not.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    <theredpriest@altavista.com> wrote in message
    > M. Bezzel wrote:
    >> definately a dud (i'll take it if you don't want it)
    >
    > Okay Bezel, I admit it, imahstoopidsheet. Now, why in hell doesn't
    > this Barton boot to XP? I could assume my Maxton HDD as my culprit,
    > despite repeated wipings and re-installs of XP, without errors. I have
    > yet to try my WD Caviar as the boot device for it. Oh, and I forgot to
    > add my ram is Kingston PC-3500 and I've ran it up to 452mhz stable at
    > default timings with vdimm at 2.8 on an XP2400+. Think I feel like
    > returning an UNLOCKED Barton, as rare as they are....NOOOOO!
    >
    > Guess I just have to exhaust every other possibility. I think that was
    > the whole reason for my post, to try and figure out what else is left.

    Unlocked Bartons can't be that rare, I just got a brand new 3200+ Barton and
    it's unlocked I've changed both the processor clock and FSB on it. Your
    problem may not be the processor at all but the memory timing, try clocking
    to 11*166 (1833) with the vcore at 1.65 and memory timing at BySPD or
    3-3-3-8 if it has to be set manually.

AMD Boot Overclocking