help needed supporting weight of zalman cooler

Hi,

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
barton XP 2400+ 35W

I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g

has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would bear
the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?

any ideas appreciated!

cowboy

Chachi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

cowboy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
> barton XP 2400+ 35W
>
> I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
> case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g
>
> has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
> surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
> would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would bear
> the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?
>
> any ideas appreciated!
>
> cowboy

My Friend had a similar dilemma, same cooler and case type, different
copmponents. What he did originally was put a couple pieces of tie wire
from the top of the case to the top of the cooler, he then tightened to
his liking. I suggested he do what you are thinking. I told him to drill
through the mb holes right through the case (or mb tray) and use longer
bolts. The only stipulation was that between the mb and the tray/case
side, you would have to find washer/nuts to compensate for the gap or
your wonderful mounting job might do more harm than good (I wonder how
much flex it could take before it snaps?).

Hope it helps

> I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
> barton XP 2400+ 35W
>
> I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
> case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g
>
> has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
> surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
> would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would
bear
> the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?

Myself, I wouldn't even worry about it. Motherboards are made of
fiberglass, which is awfully tough. I've got a 7000B-Cu on a machine which
regularly gets jostled around, and I've never given it a second thought. If
you're throwing your case around a lot, then you might worry...

steve

Caution:

Motherboards are mult-layer things, and you might end up drilling through
some traces and ruining them.