help needed supporting weight of zalman cooler

Hi,

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
barton XP 2400+ 35W

I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g

has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would bear
the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?

any ideas appreciated!

cowboy
3 answers Last reply
More about help needed supporting weight zalman cooler

    cowboy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
    > barton XP 2400+ 35W
    >
    > I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
    > case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g
    >
    > has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
    > surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
    > would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would bear
    > the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?
    >
    > any ideas appreciated!
    >
    > cowboy

    My Friend had a similar dilemma, same cooler and case type, different
    copmponents. What he did originally was put a couple pieces of tie wire
    from the top of the case to the top of the cooler, he then tightened to
    his liking. I suggested he do what you are thinking. I told him to drill
    through the mb holes right through the case (or mb tray) and use longer
    bolts. The only stipulation was that between the mb and the tray/case
    side, you would have to find washer/nuts to compensate for the gap or
    your wonderful mounting job might do more harm than good (I wonder how
    much flex it could take before it snaps?).

    Hope it helps

    > I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
    > barton XP 2400+ 35W
    >
    > I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
    > case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g
    >
    > has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
    > surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
    > would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would
    bear
    > the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?

    Myself, I wouldn't even worry about it. Motherboards are made of
    fiberglass, which is awfully tough. I've got a 7000B-Cu on a machine which
    regularly gets jostled around, and I've never given it a second thought. If
    you're throwing your case around a lot, then you might worry...

    steve

    Caution:

    Motherboards are mult-layer things, and you might end up drilling through
    some traces and ruining them.

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:22:54 -0500, cowboy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an ASUS A7N8X-E with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler running a mobile
    > barton XP 2400+ 35W
    >
    > I want to get some additional support to hold up this weight in a tower
    > case, as this cooler weighs close to 800g
    >
    > has anyone experimented with drilling through the existing holes that
    > surround the CPU socket and inserting something akin to long bolts that
    > would be terminated at the outside of the case, so that the case would bear
    > the weight of this wonderful cooler and not my poor asus mainboard?
    >
    > any ideas appreciated!
    >
    > cowboy

AMD Zalman Cooling Cases Overclocking