Sempron 3000+ on an Asus A7V8X

Hello, All!

I currently have an Asus A7V8X m/b with an Athlon XP 2200+ (or maybe 2400+?)
rated at 2.2 mhz system which is oc'ed by about 12%.

I understand I can upgrade this to a Sempron 3000+.

Questions:

Will this chip work?
If that is all I change will I really see much difference in overall
performance?
Would it likely continue to be a stable mb/cpu combination at the oc I use?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:49:17 -0600, Colonel Blip wrote:

> I currently have an Asus A7V8X m/b with an Athlon XP 2200+ (or maybe 2400+?)
> rated at 2.2 mhz system which is oc'ed by about 12%.
>
> I understand I can upgrade this to a Sempron 3000+.

That would be a downgrade unless you are talking about the new socket 754
Sempron 3000+ and it won't fit in your current MB.

> Questions:
>
> Will this chip work?

Sure, as long as the Mb supports a 166Mhz FSB, and it does, Hope your ram
will too.

> If that is all I change will I really see much difference in overall
> performance?

Performance probably won't go down much.

> Would it likely continue to be a stable mb/cpu combination at the oc I
> use?

The Sempron socket A 3000+ plus will overclock the same as the Athlon XP
Barton core 2700+, since that's what it is, just with a new name, and a
higher price tag. It runs at 2000MHz (12x166). If you want a barton core
cpu, buy an Athlon XP 2800+ for less money and get more speed. It runs at
2083MHz (12.5x166). But to be honest, you'd be wasting your money
upgrading the cpu you have now. If you have a 2400+ and you can lower the
multiplier to 13.5 and then set the FSB 166, you would have a 2800+ XP.
See Sempron in link below. At least with the Sempron socket A 3000+ they
only raised the number by 300 instead of closer to 400 for the slower
Semprons

Hello, Wes!
You wrote on Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:14:39 GMT:

Thanks for the info. Makes the decision easy. I'll think I will continue to
hang on with existing setup for a bit longer and replace mb and chip to
upgrade to 64 when it makes a bit more sense (or fewer cents) to do so.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

WN> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:49:17 -0600, Colonel Blip wrote:

WN> That would be a downgrade unless you are talking about the new socket
WN> 754 Sempron 3000+ and it won't fit in your current MB.

WN> Sure, as long as the Mb supports a 166Mhz FSB, and it does, Hope your
WN> ram will too.

WN> Performance probably won't go down much.

WN> The Sempron socket A 3000+ plus will overclock the same as the Athlon
WN> XP Barton core 2700+, since that's what it is, just with a new name,
WN> and a higher price tag. It runs at 2000MHz (12x166). If you want a
WN> barton core cpu, buy an Athlon XP 2800+ for less money and get more
WN> speed. It runs at 2083MHz (12.5x166). But to be honest, you'd be
WN> wasting your money upgrading the cpu you have now. If you have a 2400+
WN> and you can lower the multiplier to 13.5 and then set the FSB 166, you
WN> would have a 2800+ XP. See Sempron in link below. At least with the
WN> Sempron socket A 3000+ they only raised the number by 300 instead of
WN> closer to 400 for the slower Semprons

Should work as long as your mobo has the right choice of voltage
adjustments.I think the Sempron uses lower voltage that the XP. Why not
check with Asus for recent BIOS updates?
"Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All!
>
> I currently have an Asus A7V8X m/b with an Athlon XP 2200+ (or maybe
2400+?)
> rated at 2.2 mhz system which is oc'ed by about 12%.
>
> I understand I can upgrade this to a Sempron 3000+.
>
> Questions:
>
> Will this chip work?
> If that is all I change will I really see much difference in overall
> performance?
> Would it likely continue to be a stable mb/cpu combination at the oc I
use?

> Thanks.
>
> Colonel Blip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Hi,
Out of interest, what timings do you use for this mobo / cpu
combination. I have the exact same system and pondered also an upgrade.
My conclusion - based primarily on the great feedback I had - was to
wait and upgrade both the mobo / cpu / RAM a little while from now. Any
minor tweaks won't buy me much on the existing system.

But anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me the timings
you have for the mobo / 2200+ combo,

Many TIA,

Jonathan.

Colonel Blip wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> I currently have an Asus A7V8X m/b with an Athlon XP 2200+ (or maybe 2400+?)
> rated at 2.2 mhz system which is oc'ed by about 12%.
>
> I understand I can upgrade this to a Sempron 3000+.
>
> Questions:
>
> Will this chip work?
> If that is all I change will I really see much difference in overall
> performance?
> Would it likely continue to be a stable mb/cpu combination at the oc I use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colonel Blip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Hello, Jonathan!
You wrote on Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:01:32 GMT:

JO> But anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me the timings
JO> you have for the mobo / 2200+ combo,

JO> Many TIA,

JO> Jonathan.

JO> Colonel Blip wrote:
??>> Hello, All!

Here you are, in order on the Advanced menu (pg. 4-17 in manual):

Manual
12.5
177/35
354
Manual
1.85
Auto
2.85
Turbo
Enabled
Enabled
Auto
Auto
Disabled

Under Chip Configuraion the only one that matters is the first one and I
have it set at 'by SPD'.

Hope that helps.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:01:32 +0000, Jonathan Oakley wrote:

> Colonel Blip wrote:
>> I currently have an Asus A7V8X m/b with an Athlon XP 2200+ (or maybe 2400+?)
>> rated at 2.2 mhz system which is oc'ed by about 12%.
>>
> But anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me the timings
> you have for the mobo / 2200+ combo,

Before you use his settings, you need to make sure you have a tbred B core
CPU, otherwise it won't work. CPUID for the B core is 681. CPUID for the
A core is 680. The A core won't run much above 1900MHz. The B core will
generally run up to 2400MHz.

Hello, Wes!
You wrote on Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:35:39 GMT:

WN> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:01:32 +0000, Jonathan Oakley wrote:

WN> Before you use his settings, you need to make sure you have a tbred B
WN> core CPU, otherwise it won't work. CPUID for the B core is 681. CPUID
WN> for the A core is 680. The A core won't run much above 1900MHz. The B
WN> core will generally run up to 2400MHz.

Just to confirm for Johnathan, I am running a tbred B (681).

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Hey, many thanks!

Jonathan.

Colonel Blip wrote:
> Hello, Jonathan!
> You wrote on Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:01:32 GMT:
>

> JO> But anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me the timings
> JO> you have for the mobo / 2200+ combo,
>
> JO> Many TIA,
>
> JO> Jonathan.
>
> JO> Colonel Blip wrote:
> ??>> Hello, All!
>
> Here you are, in order on the Advanced menu (pg. 4-17 in manual):
>
> Manual
> 12.5
> 177/35
> 354
> Manual
> 1.85
> Auto
> 2.85
> Turbo
> Enabled
> Enabled
> Auto
> Auto
> Disabled
>
> Under Chip Configuraion the only one that matters is the first one and I
> have it set at 'by SPD'.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Colonel Blip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Thanks again guys. I do indeed have a B-core tbred. Bought it last year.

Cheers,

Jonathan.