rewiring VGA cable

Ok im confused. My goal is to rewire my vga cable so that I can plug my
vga card into my arcade monitor.

i stripped my vga cable and found 7 pins.

red
green
blue
hsync
vsync
one white wire that doesn't connect anywhere
one black wire that connects to pin 12

I've been using my multimeter to test resistance and thats how i find
out where the wires on the chopped end are going.

My question is.... where is the rgb ground wires??

im lost, are there more than 1 kinds of vga cables? any info is
appreciated. thx.
21 answers Last reply
More about rewiring cable

    Tim Worthington wrote:
    > On 19 May 2005 21:22:20 -0700, "cast" <christopher_corn@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ok im confused. My goal is to rewire my vga cable so that I can plug
    my
    > >vga card into my arcade monitor.
    > >
    > >i stripped my vga cable and found 7 pins.
    > >
    > >red
    > >green
    > >blue
    > >hsync
    > >vsync
    > >one white wire that doesn't connect anywhere
    > >one black wire that connects to pin 12
    > >
    > >I've been using my multimeter to test resistance and thats how i
    find
    > >out where the wires on the chopped end are going.
    > >
    > >My question is.... where is the rgb ground wires??
    > >
    > >im lost, are there more than 1 kinds of vga cables? any info is
    > >appreciated. thx.
    >
    > Each of the three video signals is usualy sent along 75ohm mini-coax.
    > The coax sheild is connected to the 'colour ground' while the centre
    > is connected to the video signal. If you've got a cheap cable that
    > uses normal wire for the video signals you won't find anything
    > connected to R,G,B grounds (there's not much point).
    >
    > In your list you're missing the common ground, connects to pin 5.
    > That's what you should be worried about.

    ok that sounds like the problem, so i think i need to find a cable that
    does have an r g b ground. otherwise, since i've already stripped the
    mini-coax shield off the rgb wires it prob doesn't have a ground
    anymore.

    thanks everyone for your responses.

    "cast" <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > My question is.... where is the rgb ground wires??

    Without looking it up, is pin 12 a ground?

    Wait, wait...lemme look it up...

    http://www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q17_page.html

    Hm...that's a big NO. Where are *any* grounds?

    Unless perhaps the white is the ground, and it connects to the metal d-
    sub connector. Do a continuity check from the metal casing on the D-sub
    to the white wire

    --
    Do you want a free iPod?
    http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

    cast wrote:
    > Ok im confused. My goal is to rewire my vga cable so that I can plug my
    > vga card into my arcade monitor.
    >
    > i stripped my vga cable and found 7 pins.
    >
    > red
    > green
    > blue
    > hsync
    > vsync
    > one white wire that doesn't connect anywhere
    > one black wire that connects to pin 12
    >
    > I've been using my multimeter to test resistance and thats how i find
    > out where the wires on the chopped end are going.
    >
    > My question is.... where is the rgb ground wires??
    >
    > im lost, are there more than 1 kinds of vga cables? any info is
    > appreciated. thx.

    Start here: http://www.technick.net/public/code/pinouts.php
    This is a /great/ resource site.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 05:59:42 GMT, Dead_Dad
    <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

    >Start here: http://www.technick.net/public/code/pinouts.php
    >This is a /great/ resource site.

    it's not so good, it's full of ads, and besides, most of the pinout
    info has been ripped straight from http://www.hardwarebook.net

    * Tim Worthington wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 05:59:42 GMT, Dead_Dad
    ><XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

    >>Start here: http://www.technick.net/public/code/pinouts.php
    >>This is a /great/ resource site.

    > it's not so good, it's full of ads,

    Could not find one ad.

    --
    David
    We don't care how they do it in New York.

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Tim Worthington wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >>On Sat, 21 May 2005 05:59:42 GMT, Dead_Dad
    >><XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:
    >

    >>>Start here: http://www.technick.net/public/code/pinouts.php
    >>>This is a /great/ resource site.
    >

    >>it's not so good, it's full of ads,
    >

    > Could not find one ad.

    It has google ads on there, they are unobtrusive and match the look of
    the site..

    --
    MCR
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

    MER wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Tim Worthington wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>> it's not so good, it's full of ads,
    >>

    >> Could not find one ad.
    >>

    > It has google ads on there, they are unobtrusive and match the look of
    > the site..

    VIVA LE GOOGLE!!!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:

    > * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:
    >>> * Tim Worthington wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >>
    >> It has google ads on there, they are unobtrusive and match the
    >> look of the site..
    >>

    > Ahh, Pivoxy killed them for me.

    My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    Dead_Dad wrote:
    > MER wrote:
    >> SINNER wrote:

    >>> Could not find one ad.
    >>>

    >> It has google ads on there, they are unobtrusive and match the look
    >> of the site..
    >>

    > VIVA LE GOOGLE!!!

    I agree! I plan to put some Google ads on my page sometime too.

    I would also like to buy some stock in them in the future...they have quite
    a few services that I like, and maybe if I was a stockholder I could ask
    them to make their SafeSearch technology available through a free
    downloadable program. That's why I use Google search even though my browser
    has a built-in Yahoo! search bar. I often do ROM searches, and rom sites
    tend to have some trashy stuff on them sometimes, Google does a good job of
    filtering it out.

    * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:
    >>
    >> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>> It has google ads on there, they are unobtrusive and match the
    >>> look of the site..
    >>>

    >> Ahh, Pivoxy killed them for me.
    >
    > My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.

    What are you using? Firefox, Privoxy or something new I should be
    looking into :) ?

    --
    David

    SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:

    > * Andreas Kohlbach Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:

    >>> Ahh, Pivoxy killed them for me.
    >>
    >> My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.
    >
    > What are you using? Firefox, Privoxy or something new I should be
    > looking into :) ?

    I use Privoxy, but with some special filter rules. I can may be forward
    them to you. Found them at a Google page.

    If you want to try it before (and have time, because I also use an
    anominzier behind the Privoxy, which is slow) I can give you access to my
    proxy. Mail me your IP then.

    F'up poster.
    --

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:
    >>
    >> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>> It has google ads on there, they are unobtrusive and match the
    >>> look of the site..
    >>>

    >> Ahh, Pivoxy killed them for me.
    >
    > My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.

    Actually, in my mind, unlike other ads, Google ads, which are tailored to
    their page's content, can be good to find more resources related to the
    page you are viewing. So if I got an ad blocker I would set it to allow
    *google.com.

    * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:

    >>> Ahh, Pivoxy killed them for me.
    >>
    >> My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.
    >
    > Actually, in my mind, unlike other ads, Google ads, which are
    > tailored to their page's content, can be good to find more
    > resources related to the page you are viewing.

    Not really, they are PAID ads. THere may very well be a cheaper and
    or better alternative to the one google provides. If you are looking
    for something, search google, dont let them search for you, its not
    in your best interest, its in the interest of the paying cusotmer.

    > So if I got an ad
    > blocker I would set it to allow *google.com.

    Not me.

    --
    David

    SINNER wrote:
    > * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

    >>> My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.
    >>
    >> Actually, in my mind, unlike other ads, Google ads, which are
    >> tailored to their page's content, can be good to find more
    >> resources related to the page you are viewing.
    >
    > Not really, they are PAID ads. THere may very well be a cheaper and
    > or better alternative to the one google provides. If you are looking
    > for something, search google, dont let them search for you, its not
    > in your best interest, its in the interest of the paying cusotmer.
    >
    >> So if I got an ad
    >> blocker I would set it to allow *google.com.
    >
    > Not me.

    Well, I try to click on the Google ads on pages that I like because one
    thing I know is that it makes money for the site owner. For example, if you
    like a roms site that has google ads on it and you click on the ads, you
    make money with each click for the roms page. It works the same for any
    other web page too. That's why people put them on their sites.

    * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > Well, I try to click on the Google ads on pages that I like
    > because one thing I know is that it makes money for the site
    > owner. For example, if you like a roms site that has google ads on
    > it and you click on the ads, you make money with each click for
    > the roms page. It works the same for any other web page too.
    > That's why people put them on their sites.

    And thats why people use ad blockers most ads are obtrusive and
    annoying. Blindly cliking an add to support a site in Not a Good Thing
    (TM).

    I guess you are OK with Pop-up ads to as they do the same thing. First
    of all some sites are FORCED to display ads regardless of content
    becuase the host provider demands it. While this may be great for the
    host company, there is no benefit to the site you are viewing.

    I use Tivo on my TV so I dont have to view ads either, I suppose one
    could argue I am stealing TV, but then I don't use Cialus or Tampax.

    --
    David

    SINNER wrote:
    > * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >

    >>Well, I try to click on the Google ads on pages that I like
    >>because one thing I know is that it makes money for the site
    >>owner. For example, if you like a roms site that has google ads on
    >>it and you click on the ads, you make money with each click for
    >>the roms page. It works the same for any other web page too.
    >>That's why people put them on their sites.
    >

    > And thats why people use ad blockers most ads are obtrusive and
    > annoying. Blindly cliking an add to support a site in Not a Good Thing
    > (TM).
    >
    > I guess you are OK with Pop-up ads to as they do the same thing. First
    > of all some sites are FORCED to display ads regardless of content
    > becuase the host provider demands it. While this may be great for the
    > host company, there is no benefit to the site you are viewing.
    >
    > I use Tivo on my TV so I dont have to view ads either, I suppose one
    > could argue I am stealing TV, but then I don't use Cialus or Tampax.

    As long as they are something I am interested in, I make a point of
    clicking on Google ads to encourage advertisers to switch from graphic
    ads to text ones, as they take up a /lot/ less screen 'real estate' and
    bandwidth.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    Dead_Dad wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >>

    >>> Well, I try to click on the Google ads on pages that I like
    >>> because one thing I know is that it makes money for the site
    >>> owner. For example, if you like a roms site that has google ads on
    >>> it and you click on the ads, you make money with each click for
    >>> the roms page. It works the same for any other web page too.
    >>> That's why people put them on their sites.
    >>

    >> And thats why people use ad blockers most ads are obtrusive and
    >> annoying. Blindly cliking an add to support a site in Not a Good
    >> Thing (TM).
    >>
    >> I guess you are OK with Pop-up ads to as they do the same thing.
    >> First of all some sites are FORCED to display ads regardless of
    >> content becuase the host provider demands it. While this may be
    >> great for the host company, there is no benefit to the site you are
    >> viewing.
    >>
    >> I use Tivo on my TV so I dont have to view ads either, I suppose one
    >> could argue I am stealing TV, but then I don't use Cialus or Tampax.
    >
    > As long as they are something I am interested in, I make a point of
    > clicking on Google ads to encourage advertisers to switch from graphic
    > ads to text ones, as they take up a /lot/ less screen 'real estate'
    > and bandwidth.

    Amen!

    "AnonyMouse" <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> skrev i melding
    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> SINNER wrote on 23. May 2005:

    >>> Ahh, Pivoxy killed them for me.
    >>
    >> My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.
    >
    > Actually, in my mind, unlike other ads, Google ads, which are tailored to
    > their page's content, can be good to find more resources related to the
    > page you are viewing. So if I got an ad blocker I would set it to allow
    > *google.com.

    I agree with you, AnonyMouse. The Google ads I have in left side on my
    www.Kn7000.net webpage is not anoying for anyone. And as you say it is also
    related to the page. I think this is a nice way to advertise, because you
    are not received stupid ads you are not interested in.

    Ken

    Ken wrote:
    > "AnonyMouse" <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> skrev i melding
    >> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

    >>> My ad blocker also removes the "Sponsored links" on Google.
    >>
    >> Actually, in my mind, unlike other ads, Google ads, which are
    >> tailored to their page's content, can be good to find more
    >> resources related to the page you are viewing. So if I got an ad
    >> blocker I would set it to allow *google.com.
    >>

    > I agree with you, AnonyMouse. The Google ads I have in left side on my
    > www.Kn7000.net webpage is not anoying for anyone. And as you say it
    > is also related to the page. I think this is a nice way to advertise,
    > because you are not received stupid ads you are not interested in.
    >
    > Ken

    Amen!

VGA Cable Video Games