sempron + 200mhz fsb

Decided i want a cheap performance boost. Come to the conclusion that buying
a new motherboard with a pci/agp lock would let me push the fsb closer to
200. This would put my cpu at (11x)2.2ghz and run in sync with my DDR 400
ram. Currently i can get my sempron to 1924 @ 170 i think before it crashes
due to the pci bus running so fast. Questions are
1. Whats the best skt a motherboard for overclocking under £50.
2. Anyone got a sempron 2600 or lower running at 200fsb
3. Can i do it with stock cooling(currently running at 47c)

Specs at the bottom of the post

Thanks alot
--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)

abit nf7 is about £45 and probably as good as it gets.
"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Decided i want a cheap performance boost. Come to the conclusion that
> buying a new motherboard with a pci/agp lock would let me push the fsb
> closer to 200. This would put my cpu at (11x)2.2ghz and run in sync with
> my DDR 400 ram. Currently i can get my sempron to 1924 @ 170 i think
> before it crashes due to the pci bus running so fast. Questions are
> 1. Whats the best skt a motherboard for overclocking under £50.
> 2. Anyone got a sempron 2600 or lower running at 200fsb
> 3. Can i do it with stock cooling(currently running at 47c)
>
> Specs at the bottom of the post
>
> Thanks alot
> --
> "Blu-Ray"
> 2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)
> 512Mb DDR 400
> 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 425/540)
> Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ mobo with 400mhz fsb
> Raidmax cobra case with 420w psu
> Dual 12" Blue CCFL
> Blue LED fans
> "Cheap and very cheerful"

DFI nFII Ultra Infinity - but it's about 60.00
280 FSB with good memory

Veritech wrote:
> Decided i want a cheap performance boost. Come to the conclusion that
> buying a new motherboard with a pci/agp lock would let me push the
> fsb closer to 200. This would put my cpu at (11x)2.2ghz and run in
> sync with my DDR 400 ram. Currently i can get my sempron to 1924 @
> 170 i think before it crashes due to the pci bus running so fast.
> Questions are 1. Whats the best skt a motherboard for overclocking under
> £50.
> 2. Anyone got a sempron 2600 or lower running at 200fsb
> 3. Can i do it with stock cooling(currently running at 47c)
>
> Specs at the bottom of the post
>
> Thanks alot

which one cause they have 3 variations i think
or is it just a feature thing?

"Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> abit nf7 is about £45 and probably as good as it gets.
> "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Decided i want a cheap performance boost. Come to the conclusion that
>> buying a new motherboard with a pci/agp lock would let me push the fsb
>> closer to 200. This would put my cpu at (11x)2.2ghz and run in sync with
>> my DDR 400 ram. Currently i can get my sempron to 1924 @ 170 i think
>> before it crashes due to the pci bus running so fast. Questions are
>> 1. Whats the best skt a motherboard for overclocking under £50.
>> 2. Anyone got a sempron 2600 or lower running at 200fsb
>> 3. Can i do it with stock cooling(currently running at 47c)
>>
>> Specs at the bottom of the post
>>
>> Thanks alot
>> --
>> "Blu-Ray"
>> 2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)
>> 512Mb DDR 400
>> 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 425/540)
>> Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ mobo with 400mhz fsb
>> Raidmax cobra case with 420w psu
>> Dual 12" Blue CCFL
>> Blue LED fans
>> "Cheap and very cheerful"

"Veritech" wrote
> which one cause they have 3 variations i think
> or is it just a feature thing?

Hi,

I think he means the NF7 or the NF7-S, the latter adding SATA HDD support,
FireWire and pimpin *SoundStorm* onboard audio. ABIT have released an
updated version called the *Abit NF7-S2G* but this isn't so hot according to
a few posts I read, also it doesn't have *SoundStorm* anymore.

Grab the NF7 if your just into overclocking, or the NF7-S if you like
overclocking and a few extra features.

The DFI Lanparty series are also said to be very good for high FSB
overclocking, but its not a big deal really!

Wayne ][

Thanks to all those all helped my out.
I'm a little partial to the gigabtye board(i decided to theme my pc all
blue, lol) but i think the availibilty of the nf-7 will win it in the end.
Next question is i'm buying the mb cause i can't afford a new
system(especially as i only built this one in january) for a while and i
plan on getting a 6600gt in a few months, and unless the processor can hack
it, its useless.

so should i
A) cry as i watch my mates 130 fps in COD and wait till i can get cash for a
athlon64 939
B)watch him cry, save a close to £200 quid and buy a new motherboard and get
oc'ing
C)stop going to my mates, lol.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> Thanks to all those all helped my out.
> I'm a little partial to the gigabtye board(i decided to theme my pc all
> blue, lol) but i think the availibilty of the nf-7 will win it in the end.
> Next question is i'm buying the mb cause i can't afford a new
> system(especially as i only built this one in january) for a while and i
> plan on getting a 6600gt in a few months, and unless the processor can
> hack it, its useless.
>
> so should i
> A) cry as i watch my mates 130 fps in COD and wait till i can get cash for
> a athlon64 939
> B)watch him cry, save a close to £200 quid and buy a new motherboard and
> get oc'ing
> C)stop going to my mates, lol.
Try raising your FSB to 200 and watch the AGP/PCI settings. If it does not
www.ocinside.de in the English section there is a thing called the pin-mod
(workshop icon, Interactive Pin-Mod...). Set to Socket view then change FSB
to 200MHz. Get a thin strand of wire about 1cm 1/8" long and bend it in a U
shape and insert on the socket holes. This may work with your sempron but
no guarantees. I have used this to get my unlocked XP2000 from 12.5x to
13.5x on a board that did not have anything higher than 12.5 in BIOS and to
get a bit of a boost to the voltage as the BIOS did not add enough.

Other than that, while the NF7 is a good board, I think your proposed video
card may outperform the board. I have the NF7-S v2 (not the G - don't get
it). Lots of adjustability. You can set the AGP/PCI at 66/33 or change
independently of the FSB.

Don't be too obsessed with FPS in games. You won't see anything higher than
the refresh rate of your monitor.

Dave