OCZ vs Generic PC3200 RAM?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2005 6:01:24 AM

hey all,

My house was broken into in Oct, and my old IBM laptop was stolen. My
insurance company replaced it with a Toshiba Satellite A70-KL1 which I'm
SUPER happy with... so what's the problem? Well, I've always been of
the opinion that a laptop computer should complement a powerful desktop
computer; however I found my desktop (Athlon XP 2400+) was getting it's
ASS KICKED by my laptop... I do a lot of video editing, DVD authoring,
and computer modelling (I'm an engineer) on my desktop, so I like it to
be fast.

Anyways, now since I've got this awesome laptop, it's not the end of the
world if my tower goes down for a while... SO, I decided that now would
be a good time to learn a bit about overclocking... been bargain hunting
and was able to pick up a Barton XP-M 2500+ for reasonably cheap..
(though I had to RMA it back to AMD, and expect the replacement in a
week or two). Decided it was time to get rid of my microATX board so i
sold it to a friend who was building a mini-system and bought myself an
Abit NF7-S. Got me an Extreme Volcano 12+ for cooling my CPU. Got an
Enermax PSU. Now it's time for RAM..... this is where you all come in.

I found a deal on 2 x 512MB sticks of Samsung PC3200 RAM (Looks like the
model # is MDS512HA3AMNB1TR). Figured I'd pick it up since it was cheap
and decide whether to use it or flip it later. Anyways, I've also been
considering going for some high-end RAM, such as the OCZ Platinum Series
184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 PC3200 (part # OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K). I'm
wondering what you guys think the performance difference would be in my
system assuming I only changed the RAM. Basically I can pick up the OCZ
RAM for about $60-80 more than I paid for the generic Samsung stuff...
wondering if I'd get $60-80 more performance?

thanks a lot!

Justin

More about : ocz generic pc3200 ram

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2005 6:27:32 AM

sorry - forgot this was an international group. my upgrade cost would
be $60-80 canadian, or roughly $45-65 US.

J B wrote:
> hey all,
>
> My house was broken into in Oct, and my old IBM laptop was stolen. My
> insurance company replaced it with a Toshiba Satellite A70-KL1 which I'm
> SUPER happy with... so what's the problem? Well, I've always been of
> the opinion that a laptop computer should complement a powerful desktop
> computer; however I found my desktop (Athlon XP 2400+) was getting it's
> ASS KICKED by my laptop... I do a lot of video editing, DVD authoring,
> and computer modelling (I'm an engineer) on my desktop, so I like it to
> be fast.
>
> Anyways, now since I've got this awesome laptop, it's not the end of the
> world if my tower goes down for a while... SO, I decided that now would
> be a good time to learn a bit about overclocking... been bargain hunting
> and was able to pick up a Barton XP-M 2500+ for reasonably cheap..
> (though I had to RMA it back to AMD, and expect the replacement in a
> week or two). Decided it was time to get rid of my microATX board so i
> sold it to a friend who was building a mini-system and bought myself an
> Abit NF7-S. Got me an Extreme Volcano 12+ for cooling my CPU. Got an
> Enermax PSU. Now it's time for RAM..... this is where you all come in.
>
> I found a deal on 2 x 512MB sticks of Samsung PC3200 RAM (Looks like the
> model # is MDS512HA3AMNB1TR). Figured I'd pick it up since it was cheap
> and decide whether to use it or flip it later. Anyways, I've also been
> considering going for some high-end RAM, such as the OCZ Platinum Series
> 184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 PC3200 (part # OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K). I'm
> wondering what you guys think the performance difference would be in my
> system assuming I only changed the RAM. Basically I can pick up the OCZ
> RAM for about $60-80 more than I paid for the generic Samsung stuff...
> wondering if I'd get $60-80 more performance?
>
> thanks a lot!
>
> Justin
March 6, 2005 12:56:08 PM

"J B" <justin.bourneNOSPAM4ME@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hey all,
>
> My house was broken into in Oct, and my old IBM laptop was stolen. My
> insurance company replaced it with a Toshiba Satellite A70-KL1 which I'm
> SUPER happy with... so what's the problem? Well, I've always been of
> the opinion that a laptop computer should complement a powerful desktop
> computer; however I found my desktop (Athlon XP 2400+) was getting it's
> ASS KICKED by my laptop... I do a lot of video editing, DVD authoring,
> and computer modelling (I'm an engineer) on my desktop, so I like it to
> be fast.
>
> Anyways, now since I've got this awesome laptop, it's not the end of the
> world if my tower goes down for a while... SO, I decided that now would
> be a good time to learn a bit about overclocking... been bargain hunting
> and was able to pick up a Barton XP-M 2500+ for reasonably cheap..
> (though I had to RMA it back to AMD, and expect the replacement in a
> week or two). Decided it was time to get rid of my microATX board so i
> sold it to a friend who was building a mini-system and bought myself an
> Abit NF7-S. Got me an Extreme Volcano 12+ for cooling my CPU. Got an
> Enermax PSU. Now it's time for RAM..... this is where you all come in.
>
> I found a deal on 2 x 512MB sticks of Samsung PC3200 RAM (Looks like the
> model # is MDS512HA3AMNB1TR). Figured I'd pick it up since it was cheap
> and decide whether to use it or flip it later. Anyways, I've also been
> considering going for some high-end RAM, such as the OCZ Platinum Series
> 184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 PC3200 (part # OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K). I'm
> wondering what you guys think the performance difference would be in my
> system assuming I only changed the RAM. Basically I can pick up the OCZ
> RAM for about $60-80 more than I paid for the generic Samsung stuff...
> wondering if I'd get $60-80 more performance?

If the two brands have similar timings then go for the lower priced set
unless you are going to push an overclock much above 200MHz on the RAM bus.
If you are then you'd be better off getting some PC3500 or faster RAM. The
added benefit of the faster RAM is that it can be used in a socket 754/939
board, etc when time comes for upgrade.

Dave
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2005 8:08:51 PM

J B wrote:
[...]
> I found a deal on 2 x 512MB sticks of Samsung PC3200 RAM (Looks like
> the model # is MDS512HA3AMNB1TR). Figured I'd pick it up since it
> was cheap and decide whether to use it or flip it later. Anyways,
> I've also been considering going for some high-end RAM, such as the
> OCZ Platinum Series 184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 PC3200 (part #
> OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K). I'm wondering what you guys think the
> performance difference would be in my system assuming I only changed
> the RAM. Basically I can pick up the OCZ RAM for about $60-80 more
> than I paid for the generic Samsung stuff... wondering if I'd get
> $60-80 more performance?

The K7 is relatively insensitive to memory timings, so the only thing you'd
get out of the OCZ modules is a possibly slightly better FSB speed. I'm
assuming there is a difference in timings between the modules; a google
search on the Samsung modules didn't get anywhere. Local pricing dependent,
it may be better value for money to get a faster grade (such as PC3500)
stick of Samsung than the OCZ.

[...]
--
Michael Brown
a b K Overclocking

In an AMD system a 3500 chip isnt going to help you at all. Intel yes, but
you won't see the increase in your setup.

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
>J B wrote:
> [...]
>> I found a deal on 2 x 512MB sticks of Samsung PC3200 RAM (Looks like
>> the model # is MDS512HA3AMNB1TR). Figured I'd pick it up since it
>> was cheap and decide whether to use it or flip it later. Anyways,
>> I've also been considering going for some high-end RAM, such as the
>> OCZ Platinum Series 184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 PC3200 (part #
>> OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K). I'm wondering what you guys think the
>> performance difference would be in my system assuming I only changed
>> the RAM. Basically I can pick up the OCZ RAM for about $60-80 more
>> than I paid for the generic Samsung stuff... wondering if I'd get
>> $60-80 more performance?
>
> The K7 is relatively insensitive to memory timings, so the only thing
> you'd get out of the OCZ modules is a possibly slightly better FSB speed.
> I'm assuming there is a difference in timings between the modules; a
> google search on the Samsung modules didn't get anywhere. Local pricing
> dependent, it may be better value for money to get a faster grade (such as
> PC3500) stick of Samsung than the OCZ.
>
> [...]
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2005 8:08:52 PM

OK, the other one I can get is this:
OCZ4331024ELDC-K
That's a PC3500 OCZ chip; so even though the timings 2-3-3-7 vs 2-3-2-5
on the PC3200 chip, I should still see a difference? The PC3200 and the
PC3500 I can get for roughly the same price....

Thanks!
Justin

Michael Brown wrote:
> J B wrote:
> [...]
>
>>I found a deal on 2 x 512MB sticks of Samsung PC3200 RAM (Looks like
>>the model # is MDS512HA3AMNB1TR). Figured I'd pick it up since it
>>was cheap and decide whether to use it or flip it later. Anyways,
>>I've also been considering going for some high-end RAM, such as the
>>OCZ Platinum Series 184 Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 PC3200 (part #
>>OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K). I'm wondering what you guys think the
>>performance difference would be in my system assuming I only changed
>>the RAM. Basically I can pick up the OCZ RAM for about $60-80 more
>>than I paid for the generic Samsung stuff... wondering if I'd get
>>$60-80 more performance?
>

> The K7 is relatively insensitive to memory timings, so the only thing you'd
> get out of the OCZ modules is a possibly slightly better FSB speed. I'm
> assuming there is a difference in timings between the modules; a google
> search on the Samsung modules didn't get anywhere. Local pricing dependent,
> it may be better value for money to get a faster grade (such as PC3500)
> stick of Samsung than the OCZ.
>
> [...]
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2005 11:28:06 PM

Mr. Bean wrote:
> In an AMD system a 3500 chip isnt going to help you at all.

(assuming you're talking about PC3500 RAM)

Say what? We're talking about a mobile Barton here remember. You WILL see a
significant performance difference between, say, 217x11 and 200x12 in games
and the like, even if the timings are quite a lot tighter at 200MHz.

[...]

--
Michael Brown