Gigabyte GA-7DX+, 1700+ and PC2700

moods

Hi all,

A friend of me asked me if I could take a look at his computer and make
it a little faster. This PC has an Athlon XP, 1474 MHz (5.5 x 268) 1700+
Palomino on an Gigabyte GA-7DX+ and one stick of PC2700 (166 Mhz) 256MB.
Is there any change I can get it to run a little faster? Can this
Palomino do 166mhz? Does anyone have any tips or good advice for this
combination?
Thanks!

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:45:28 +0100, Moods wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A friend of me asked me if I could take a look at his computer and make
> it a little faster. This PC has an Athlon XP, 1474 MHz (5.5 x 268) 1700+
> Palomino on an Gigabyte GA-7DX+ and one stick of PC2700 (166 Mhz) 256MB.
> Is there any change I can get it to run a little faster? Can this
> Palomino do 166mhz? Does anyone have any tips or good advice for this
> combination?
> Thanks!

It might do 11x166 (1833MHz), but that would be pushing it and it would
need max vcore to reach that speed if it can reach it at all. Most
palomino cores will work at 1733MHz without any problems. I got a little
over 1800MHz out of my 1600+, but it was a challenge and required max
vcore. The AMD 761 chipset in the MB isn't rated for a 166MHz FSB so I'm
not sure if it will even work at that speed or not. So I'd stick with just
raising the multiplier. That can be done in several ways. If the MB has
multiplier control via jumpers or bios you can unlock the cpu by closing
the L1 bridges and then have a range of multipliers up to 12.5. If the
board doesn't have multiplier control you could unlock the cpu and then
use the pinmod to change the multiplier to anything within the cpu range.
Or, you could leave locked and change the default multiplier using the L3,
L4, and L10 bridges. See link in sig line and here's some other helpful
sites.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

http://fab51.com/index-e.html

http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/index.html

moods

Wes Newell wrote:

> It might do 11x166 (1833MHz), but that would be pushing it and it would
> need max vcore to reach that speed if it can reach it at all. Most
> palomino cores will work at 1733MHz without any problems. I got a little
> over 1800MHz out of my 1600+, but it was a challenge and required max
> vcore. The AMD 761 chipset in the MB isn't rated for a 166MHz FSB so I'm
> not sure if it will even work at that speed or not. So I'd stick with just
> raising the multiplier. That can be done in several ways. If the MB has
> multiplier control via jumpers or bios you can unlock the cpu by closing
> the L1 bridges and then have a range of multipliers up to 12.5. If the
> board doesn't have multiplier control you could unlock the cpu and then
> use the pinmod to change the multiplier to anything within the cpu range.
> Or, you could leave locked and change the default multiplier using the L3,
> L4, and L10 bridges. See link in sig line and here's some other helpful
> sites.
>
> http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
>
> http://fab51.com/index-e.html
>
> http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/index.html