WMI corruption

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 30, 2005 12:00:01 PM

I had alot of problems when I first created my wireless network about 3
months ago but with the help of you lot, I finally got it working. Part of
the hard-drive then became corrupt so I had to get a new one. So now, I've
lost everything and tried to start again. But this time, I have a more
complex problem. I cannot create a network becuase when I try, it always says
that it was unable to create it. Also, when I go to enable the internet
sharing by right clicking the connection under connections, and go to
properties and then advanced, it gives an error instead of giving the usual
options. It says this "Windows cannot display the properties of this
connection. THe Windows Management Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be
corrupted..." I have tried numerous ways to fix it, but all have not worked.
I have tried to restore it, but when I try, it will not let me becuase its
new. I have also tried to delete the files in the respiratory file to try to
create a new database, but this did not work either.

Has anyone got any other idea of how I can fix this? I'm on Windows XP SP2
(I upgraded to sp2 to try and fix it)

Thanks in advance

More about : wmi corruption

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:07:01 PM

Also, I have found out that my computer was infected with some trojan that
infected the svchost or w/e its called. So anyway, AVG "healed" the file so i
suppose this is what corrupted it. Anyway, is there anyway to get a new file?
Thanks

"pcgfx805" wrote:

> I had alot of problems when I first created my wireless network about 3
> months ago but with the help of you lot, I finally got it working. Part of
> the hard-drive then became corrupt so I had to get a new one. So now, I've
> lost everything and tried to start again. But this time, I have a more
> complex problem. I cannot create a network becuase when I try, it always says
> that it was unable to create it. Also, when I go to enable the internet
> sharing by right clicking the connection under connections, and go to
> properties and then advanced, it gives an error instead of giving the usual
> options. It says this "Windows cannot display the properties of this
> connection. THe Windows Management Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be
> corrupted..." I have tried numerous ways to fix it, but all have not worked.
> I have tried to restore it, but when I try, it will not let me becuase its
> new. I have also tried to delete the files in the respiratory file to try to
> create a new database, but this did not work either.
>
> Has anyone got any other idea of how I can fix this? I'm on Windows XP SP2
> (I upgraded to sp2 to try and fix it)
>
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:13:54 PM

More bad news, it also deleted C:\Windows\System32\mbywh.exe

"pcgfx805" wrote:

> I had alot of problems when I first created my wireless network about 3
> months ago but with the help of you lot, I finally got it working. Part of
> the hard-drive then became corrupt so I had to get a new one. So now, I've
> lost everything and tried to start again. But this time, I have a more
> complex problem. I cannot create a network becuase when I try, it always says
> that it was unable to create it. Also, when I go to enable the internet
> sharing by right clicking the connection under connections, and go to
> properties and then advanced, it gives an error instead of giving the usual
> options. It says this "Windows cannot display the properties of this
> connection. THe Windows Management Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be
> corrupted..." I have tried numerous ways to fix it, but all have not worked.
> I have tried to restore it, but when I try, it will not let me becuase its
> new. I have also tried to delete the files in the respiratory file to try to
> create a new database, but this did not work either.
>
> Has anyone got any other idea of how I can fix this? I'm on Windows XP SP2
> (I upgraded to sp2 to try and fix it)
>
> Thanks in advance
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:13:55 PM

WHEN WILL IT END?? It also deleted "spoolsv.exe" I'm thinking this is bad :(

"pcgfx805" wrote:

> I had alot of problems when I first created my wireless network about 3
> months ago but with the help of you lot, I finally got it working. Part of
> the hard-drive then became corrupt so I had to get a new one. So now, I've
> lost everything and tried to start again. But this time, I have a more
> complex problem. I cannot create a network becuase when I try, it always says
> that it was unable to create it. Also, when I go to enable the internet
> sharing by right clicking the connection under connections, and go to
> properties and then advanced, it gives an error instead of giving the usual
> options. It says this "Windows cannot display the properties of this
> connection. THe Windows Management Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be
> corrupted..." I have tried numerous ways to fix it, but all have not worked.
> I have tried to restore it, but when I try, it will not let me becuase its
> new. I have also tried to delete the files in the respiratory file to try to
> create a new database, but this did not work either.
>
> Has anyone got any other idea of how I can fix this? I'm on Windows XP SP2
> (I upgraded to sp2 to try and fix it)
>
> Thanks in advance
April 30, 2005 7:13:02 PM

pcgfx805 wrote:

> More bad news, it also deleted C:\Windows\System32\mbywh.exe
>
> "pcgfx805" wrote:
>
>> I had alot of problems when I first created my wireless network about
>> 3 months ago but with the help of you lot, I finally got it working.
>> Part of the hard-drive then became corrupt so I had to get a new one.
>> So now, I've lost everything and tried to start again. But this time,
>> I have a more complex problem. I cannot create a network becuase when
>> I try, it always says that it was unable to create it. Also, when I
>> go to enable the internet sharing by right clicking the connection
>> under connections, and go to properties and then advanced, it gives
>> an error instead of giving the usual options. It says this "Windows
>> cannot display the properties of this connection. THe Windows
>> Management Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be corrupted..." I
>> have tried numerous ways to fix it, but all have not worked. I have
>> tried to restore it, but when I try, it will not let me becuase its
>> new. I have also tried to delete the files in the respiratory file to
>> try to create a new database, but this did not work either.
>>
>> Has anyone got any other idea of how I can fix this? I'm on Windows
>> XP SP2 (I upgraded to sp2 to try and fix it)
>>
>> Thanks in advance

The "mbywh.exe" is a virus file. It sounds like your system isn't clean.
Rather than posting piecemeal like this (and I have no idea what your
previous issues were from earlier posts), go through these malware
removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe Mode. You
may need to get tools/updates from a different, known-clean machine
with a good Internet connection and a cd burner. If the malware removal
steps seems too complicated, then do yourself a favor and take the
machine to a good local professional (not your local equivalent of
BigStoreUSA) and have them fix it for you. Do something fun while your
computer is being worked on.

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. To do this, go
to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab. You'll see where you can
delete cookies and files. For Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr
[enter] and then:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
novices should get help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
http://www.tomcoyote.com/hjt/ - HijackThis
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
removing spyware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

HijackThis:
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://aumha.net - forums
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

General:
http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for the info :)  I've scanned it and it hasnt found anything, but the
logs do say that it deleted the file that you said is a virus. So I think its
clean now. But still, it does the exact same thing. It says that "Windows
cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management
Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be corrupted..." But when I try to fix
this by stoping it and reseting it, deleting the certain files, and trying to
restore it it never works. I need this option becuase I want to share my
internet connection to my laptop. I can however, share files now. Thanks for
the help :D
*And about the small posts, I was only just finding it out and wanted you to
be updated with as much info as possible*
May 1, 2005 9:57:47 AM

pcgfx805 wrote:

> Thanks for the info :)  I've scanned it and it hasnt found anything,
> but the logs do say that it deleted the file that you said is a virus.
> So I think its clean now. But still, it does the exact same thing. It
> says that "Windows cannot display the properties of this connection.
> The Windows Management Instrumentaion(WMI) information might be
> corrupted..." But when I try to fix this by stoping it and reseting
> it, deleting the certain files, and trying to restore it it never
> works. I need this option becuase I want to share my internet
> connection to my laptop. I can however, share files now. Thanks for
> the help :D  *And about the small posts, I was only just finding it out
> and wanted you to be updated with as much info as possible*

OK, so now you know the computer is clean. Since I don't know exactly
what was wrong, I can only speculate that some system files have been
damaged by malware or you may have hardware problems. Here are three
things to try. Try one thing at a time, testing after each step:

1. Run the System File Checker by doing:
Start>Run sfc /scannow [enter]

2. Do a Repair Install. Here is a link to help you with that:

3. Do hardware testing. Your first post said something about your hard
drive failing so you needed to replace it. Perhaps others components
are failing as well.

4. Depending on your skill-set, you might want to take the machine to a
good local professional (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and
have them check it out.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:29:06 AM

Thanks for the info :D

Ok, I tried the system file checker, but all what happened was that cmd came
upthen closed very quickly. And about the HD, I replaced that which is why
I'm having these problems :(
Thanks again
May 2, 2005 9:52:25 AM

pcgfx805 wrote:

> Thanks for the info :D
>
> Ok, I tried the system file checker, but all what happened was that
> cmd came upthen closed very quickly. And about the HD, I replaced that
> which is why I'm having these problems :(
> Thanks again

No, you're missing the point. All we know is that your hard drive
failed. We don't know if other components are also damaged, such as the
RAM. Here are general hardware troubleshooting steps. Since you have a
new hard drive, you can probably skip that part. I would start by
testing the RAM.

1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
errors, replace it.

4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
laptop, although of course the power
supply can be faulty.

5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a good local
computer repair shop (not a CompUSA or Best Buy type of store).

Malke
--
!