Help: Quick question on Abit NF7 2S MoBo

We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown type
(actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the manual,
because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.

I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this problem. Has anyone else
encountered this problem? The board was purchased a week ago from NewEgg.

TIA,

Pete

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:20:50 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:

> We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
> where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown type
> (actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the manual,
> because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.
>
> I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this problem. Has anyone else
> encountered this problem? The board was purchased a week ago from NewEgg.

I've heard the Nforce chipset doesn't support the mobile cpu's, but don't
know specifics. What's it running at 1667MHz? Looks like that's the
default. Try raising the FSB to 166MHz and raising vcore to about 1.65v.
That would get you 2083MHz assuming it's running 1667 now at 12.5x133. If
that works and you want more, well you might get by with 2500MHz
(12.5x200) with enough vcore. let me know how this turns out. I'm just
curious.:)

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Peter Harrington" <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
> where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown type
> (actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the manual,
> because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.
>
> I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this problem. Has anyone else
> encountered this problem? The board was purchased a week ago from NewEgg.

Highlight the CPU type and change it to "User Defined" then you can change
the FSB and multiplier if you have the NF7-S v2.0. Not sure about the
NF7-S2G though.

Dave

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:20:50 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:
>
>> We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
>> where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown
>> type
>> (actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the manual,
>> because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.
>>
>> I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this problem. Has anyone else
>> encountered this problem? The board was purchased a week ago from
>> NewEgg.
>>
> I've heard the Nforce chipset doesn't support the mobile cpu's, but don't
> know specifics. What's it running at 1667MHz? Looks like that's the
> default. Try raising the FSB to 166MHz and raising vcore to about 1.65v.
> That would get you 2083MHz assuming it's running 1667 now at 12.5x133. If
> that works and you want more, well you might get by with 2500MHz
> (12.5x200) with enough vcore. let me know how this turns out. I'm just
> curious.:)

> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

When we set the FSB to 166 MHz it is running at 600 MHz after flashing to
latest BIOS. With the factory BIOS this board ran at 1000 MHz. So you see
it is very important that we access the multiplier. We will call into ABIT
Tech Support today and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Harrington" <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
>> where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown
>> type (actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the
>> manual, because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.
>>
>> I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this problem. Has anyone else
>> encountered this problem? The board was purchased a week ago from
>> NewEgg.
>
> Highlight the CPU type and change it to "User Defined" then you can change
> the FSB and multiplier if you have the NF7-S v2.0. Not sure about the
> NF7-S2G though.
>
> Dave

Unfortunately, the CPU Type is not appearing in our CMOS settings under Soft
Menu. Neither is the multiplier. If we could only get the CMOS to appear
as it does in the manual that came with the board, I think that we would be
happy.

As in my previous post, we did flash to the newest BIOS. We will call tech
support today and see what they say.

We also have an NF7-S2 board.

Thanks for the help,

Pete

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:44:23 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:20:50 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:
>>
>>> We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
>>> where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown
>>> type
>>> (actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the manual,
>>> because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.
>>>
>> I've heard the Nforce chipset doesn't support the mobile cpu's, but don't
>> know specifics. What's it running at 1667MHz? Looks like that's the
>> default. Try raising the FSB to 166MHz and raising vcore to about 1.65v.
>> That would get you 2083MHz assuming it's running 1667 now at 12.5x133. If
>> that works and you want more, well you might get by with 2500MHz
>> (12.5x200) with enough vcore. let me know how this turns out. I'm just
>> curious.:)
>>

> When we set the FSB to 166 MHz it is running at 600 MHz after flashing to
> latest BIOS. With the factory BIOS this board ran at 1000 MHz. So you see
> it is very important that we access the multiplier. We will call into ABIT
> Tech Support today and see what they say.

I think others have had to pull AJ27 (8x multiplier bit) high to get
higher multipliers on the mobiles. Good luck with Abit. I wouldn't believe
a word they say. A few years ago they siad I couldn't run an XP cpu in my
KT7 MB. See sig line.:)

This link has lots of info that should help you.

http://fab51.com/index-e.html

My Mobile 2500 works fin on my NF7-S 2.0 2.2 ghz thank you :0

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:44:23 GMT, "Peter Harrington"
<pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:20:50 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:
>>
>>> We just purchased an Abit NF7 2S Motherboard. I cannot find in the CMOS
>>> where to set the multiplier. In the Soft Menu, the CPU is an unknown
>>> type
>>> (actually 2200 XP+ M) and the menu differs from what is in the manual,
>>> because there is no multiplier setting listed or displayed.
>>>
>>> I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this problem. Has anyone else
>>> encountered this problem? The board was purchased a week ago from
>>> NewEgg.
>>>
>> I've heard the Nforce chipset doesn't support the mobile cpu's, but don't
>> know specifics. What's it running at 1667MHz? Looks like that's the
>> default. Try raising the FSB to 166MHz and raising vcore to about 1.65v.
>> That would get you 2083MHz assuming it's running 1667 now at 12.5x133. If
>> that works and you want more, well you might get by with 2500MHz
>> (12.5x200) with enough vcore. let me know how this turns out. I'm just
>> curious.:)
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
>> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
>>

>When we set the FSB to 166 MHz it is running at 600 MHz after flashing to
>latest BIOS. With the factory BIOS this board ran at 1000 MHz. So you see
>it is very important that we access the multiplier. We will call into ABIT
>Tech Support today and see what they say.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Pete

Can you set the multiplier in the CMOS or set the chip type?

I don't think that the 2200 vs 2500 would be responsible for the difference.

Thanks,

Pete

"Plasma BOY" <PlasmaBoy@1.com.uk> wrote in message

> My Mobile 2500 works fin on my NF7-S 2.0 2.2 ghz thank you :0
>

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:44:23 GMT, "Peter Harrington"
> <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

>>> I've heard the Nforce chipset doesn't support the mobile cpu's, but
>>> don't
>>> know specifics. What's it running at 1667MHz? Looks like that's the
>>> default. Try raising the FSB to 166MHz and raising vcore to about 1.65v.
>>> That would get you 2083MHz assuming it's running 1667 now at 12.5x133.
>>> If
>>> that works and you want more, well you might get by with 2500MHz
>>> (12.5x200) with enough vcore. let me know how this turns out. I'm just
>>> curious.:)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>>> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
>>> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
>>>

>>When we set the FSB to 166 MHz it is running at 600 MHz after flashing to
>>latest BIOS. With the factory BIOS this board ran at 1000 MHz. So you
>>see
>>it is very important that we access the multiplier. We will call into
>>ABIT
>>Tech Support today and see what they say.
>>
>>Thanks for the help.
>>
>>Pete

bill

In article <pan.2005.03.10.20.51.04.891530@TAKEOUTverizon.net>,
w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net says...
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:22:46 +1100, Plasma BOY wrote:
>
> > My Mobile 2500 works fin on my NF7-S 2.0 2.2 ghz thank you :0
> >
> Then why not give the guy some info on how you got it to work? Both are
> Barton cores.

An NF7-S V2.0 is not the same board as a NFS7 S2. Seems the latter is
a cheaper board thats missing a few things. Plasma Boy missed the
difference.

Bill

But the NF7-S (v2.0) is a much different board than the NF7-S2... that's
what this guy has (the NF7-S2). haven't heard of many people running
XP-M's on that board... I myself have an NF7-S which I bought
specifically to run my XP-M 2500+ (that just got back from AMD; it was
defective when I bought it 2nd hand from someone, so I RMA'd it - can't
wait to set up my new system now though!
JB