getting a new abit nf7s2.0 so i can do some serious oc'ing. I'm aiming at
200fsb for a 2.2ghz oc(200 x11). Thanks to the aid of 4 80mm fans not
including the 2 psu fans, lol. i've got the below temps running @ 179 fsb

Cpu
45 idle
52 load

case
31 idle
33 load

Any recommendations on a "cheap" skt a hsf unit that will stop me from
burning a hole in my new motherboard.

I've been looking at a few zalman fakes on ebuyer
http://www.pccooler.cn/english-www/product/product_9c_38.html

Thanks
--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @1.968Ghz)

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> getting a new abit nf7s2.0 so i can do some serious oc'ing. I'm aiming at
> 200fsb for a 2.2ghz oc(200 x11). Thanks to the aid of 4 80mm fans not
> including the 2 psu fans, lol. i've got the below temps running @ 179 fsb
>
> Cpu
> 45 idle
> 52 load
>
> case
> 31 idle
> 33 load
>
> Any recommendations on a "cheap" skt a hsf unit that will stop me from
> burning a hole in my new motherboard.

The temps don't mean anything without knowing the room temp.

Anyhow, check the case first. A bit of hacking and you may be able to save
the cash. A lot of cases are very restrictive to air flow. Check the air
intake slot in the bottom front of the case. Some are only 1cm x 5cm. Open
it up as much as possible. On my case I got it to 2.5cm x 16cm, approx and
got a big drop in temps. The punched-in fan grills are also very
restrictive. I cut the grills out with some snips and fitted some chrome
wire grills. With those two things alone I got temps down by 12C at the
same room temp.

My case originally had an 80mm exhaust fan mount but I used snips to make it
take a 90mm exhaust fan for an other 2-3C reduction in temp.

I also tidied up the wiring with a sleave kit and used round data cables for
the disc drives. I'm not sure if that had much effect on temps but it sure
looks neat, even though I don't have a side window.

Now, the case temp is about the same as room temp for average use. When the
CPU is working at 100% for a while the case temp goes 5-10C above room temp,
depending on how hot the room is (10C when room temp is 35C).

My heatsink is an TR2-M1, with the original 2500 RPM fan replaced with a
3100 RPM sunon fan. My CPU is a bit weird. It runs hotter at 10.5x200,
1.85V (2100MHz) than when at 13x166, 1.85V (2160MHz). It's an old XP2000+
T'bred B, and is nearing 2 years old. It is 12.5x133, 1.60V standard
(1666MHz).

I am happy with my TR2-M1 heatsink. I'm not sure if you can still get it
but the TR2-M3 is the same, except the M1 had a clear coloured plastic fan
with 3 LEDs and the M3 has a black fan without LEDs. The fans are otherwise
the same specs.

What ever type of heatsink you get, get one that takes an 80x80x25 fan or
bigger as there are a wide range of fans with various speeds available.
70x70x10-15mm fans only move about half as much air as the 80x80x25mm fan so
steer clear of heatsinks that have the 70s. There are a few 70mm fans that
may move 25CFM of air but they spin at about 7000RPM and are LOUD. You can
also get some 80mm fans that spin nearly as fast but they are shifting about
80CFM and are still LOUDER.

The NF7-S v2.0 has 4 bolt holes around the CPU area so you can fit some high
performance heatsinks. I'd like to try a Thermalright SI-97 heatsink but
they are not available near me, not would it fit in the "cheap" category,
you need to buy a fan for it as well.

Dave

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:20:12 +0000, Veritech wrote:

> Any recommendations on a "cheap" skt a hsf unit that will stop me from
> burning a hole in my new motherboard.

TR2-M1 or TR2-M3. They're the same except the M1 has leds on the fan.

> I've been looking at a few zalman fakes on ebuyer
> http://www.pccooler.cn/english-www/product/product_9c_38.html

I have no idea how well this one works but it does look interesting. 2
things I don't like about it though. It's 32db compared to the 21db of the
TR2-M1 and I'd hate to have to find a replacement for the custom fan.