What Anti-Virus and Firewall are you using with Windows 7

dpnaugle

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Hi all,

Just wondering what you are using for antivirus and firewall with windows 7.

Currently I am using Avast Home ant-virus, and Win 7 FW. I may give Comodo a try.

What do you think?

Don

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
AVIRA anti virus,and COMODO firewall,although the COMODO is a PITA when first installed [ sorta carries on like vista's UAC] ,,it settles down after a few days,whereas with some firewalls you never know that they are there ,,let alone working..:)

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Avira Antivir, and for firewall just Windows firewall since I rarely mess with networking or rarely get viruses period. I must say however Antivir has a really annoying false reporting. Everything I go to aion's official website, it logs it as a malware HTML cache. I had to select several folders as an exception to remove that, even then it sometimes brings up the alert anyways.

Wow.... I just attempted another install of ZoneAlarm (I haven't used it since I moved to Vista 64 back in February '07) and the installer had to be opened in compatibility mode just to run itself. It's frustrating how developers can't do a simple f***ing version check and allow 6.1.7600 as well as 6.0.6001, 5.1... etc. I had a good laugh as soon as the ZA installer told me I had to upgrade to Vista SP1 before I could install it under Windows 7. As I said already, running the installer's executable in compatibility mode for Vista SP1 fixed this, but it's still so sad, it's laughable.

Edit: Now this is even more laughable. The ZoneAlarm install was blocked due to compatibility issues. For the record, this was a freshly downloaded copy of ZoneAlarm Free 8 from the Zonelabs website.

boldgamer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
I was using Avast but noticed a file that I use to "test" my virus protection didn't flag Avast when using Windows 7 (still does when using XP). It even allowed me to run the .exe without even once flagging me. So I switched to AVG and it flags me before I can even click on the file.

For my firewall I'm using Comodo. I prefer Zonealarm but the free version doesn't work under Win 7 yet.

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

You're not alone. I just installed MSE this morning on my newly-installed Win7 Professional x64.

But I only did that because my copy of Ye Olde Symantec AV Corporate 8.0 (been using it since college, has always worked great) won't work on x64 systems it seems. :(

rickp227

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

You are not alone, I started using MSE as soon as I installed Win 7. So far it works great.