Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mixing PC2700 with PC3200?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2005 4:54:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I am buying an A64 3200+ (939) to replace my P4 1.8GHz (478). I will be
buying most likely the EPoX EP-9NDA3+ board since it looks to be the best
out there that is actually in stock anywhere. (MSI K8N Neo2 was my first
choice, Soltek K8T Pro-939 was my second choice, neither in stock anywhere
that I can find).

My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my D845PESV with
the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new board, but could I use
the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB? And if this is possible, would this
2GB combination prohibit me from using Dual Channel mode? And also, would
it slow all the DIMMs down to 333MHz?

Basically I guess I want to know what would be faster, a mixed-memory combo
of 2GB, or a PC3200 setup of 1GB. I've also seen many discussions that say
that the so-called Value RAM performs just as good as the expensive stuff.
Comments?

Thanks in advance!

More about : mixing pc2700 pc3200

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2005 10:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Ok Ive heard that the 64 3000 will happily run as a 3200 anyone know how
I can do this...or higher..

I have 1.5 GB ddr400
modded x800 to x800 xt pe
mb K8V se Deluxe

first time cpu overclocker...please be gentle..

thanks
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2005 10:39:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Jon Griffiths" <griff27@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:VF0Zd.18821$3A6.7718@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Ok Ive heard that the 64 3000 will happily run as a 3200 anyone know how I
> can do this...or higher..
>
> I have 1.5 GB ddr400
> modded x800 to x800 xt pe
> mb K8V se Deluxe
>
> first time cpu overclocker...please be gentle..
>
> thanks
>

You may want to post a new thread...you replied to mine.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2005 3:30:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Jon Griffiths" <griff27@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:VF0Zd.18821$3A6.7718@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Ok Ive heard that the 64 3000 will happily run as a 3200 anyone know how I
> can do this...or higher..
>
> I have 1.5 GB ddr400
> modded x800 to x800 xt pe
> mb K8V se Deluxe
>
> first time cpu overclocker...please be gentle..
>
> thanks
>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2005 12:06:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

ReddShadoe wrote:
[...]
> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?

Yes.

> And if
> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
> Dual Channel mode?

In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice they may
simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.

> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
> 333MHz?

Yes.

> Basically I guess I want to know what would be faster, a mixed-memory
> combo of 2GB, or a PC3200 setup of 1GB.

That depends a lot on what you do. If you're frequently using more than 1GB
of RAM, then the 2GB will perform better. Otherwise, the faster 1GB will go
.... faster :)  The best way to tell, since you are going to have both sticks,
is to try it out yourself. You know what you use the most, and each system
is different in how it reacts.

> I've also seen many
> discussions that say that the so-called Value RAM performs just as
> good as the expensive stuff. Comments?

The A64 is a bit more sensitive to timings than the P4 or AXP. I thought
there was an article on Anandtech that benchmarked a few different timing
configurations, but I can't find it at the moment. The best I could do is:
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2330
which showed 2-2-2 RAM being between 1% and 5% faster (averaging 2.5%) than
3-3-3 RAM in Half Life 2. Bear in mind that their test system was a FX55
with an X850 XT PE, so was more sensitive to memory speed than your average
rig. If you want to spend significantly more money for a 2.5% increase
that's up to you :)  A probably better choice price/performance wise is to go
dual-channel.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2005 9:59:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
news:4234ba77$1@clarion.carno.net.au...
> ReddShadoe wrote:
> [...]
>> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
>> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
>> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?
>
> Yes.
>
>> And if
>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>> Dual Channel mode?
>
> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice they
> may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>
>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>> 333MHz?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Basically I guess I want to know what would be faster, a mixed-memory
>> combo of 2GB, or a PC3200 setup of 1GB.
>
> That depends a lot on what you do. If you're frequently using more than
> 1GB of RAM, then the 2GB will perform better. Otherwise, the faster 1GB
> will go ... faster :)  The best way to tell, since you are going to have
> both sticks, is to try it out yourself. You know what you use the most,
> and each system is different in how it reacts.
>
>> I've also seen many
>> discussions that say that the so-called Value RAM performs just as
>> good as the expensive stuff. Comments?
>
> The A64 is a bit more sensitive to timings than the P4 or AXP. I thought
> there was an article on Anandtech that benchmarked a few different timing
> configurations, but I can't find it at the moment. The best I could do is:
> http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2330
> which showed 2-2-2 RAM being between 1% and 5% faster (averaging 2.5%)
> than 3-3-3 RAM in Half Life 2. Bear in mind that their test system was a
> FX55 with an X850 XT PE, so was more sensitive to memory speed than your
> average rig. If you want to spend significantly more money for a 2.5%
> increase that's up to you :)  A probably better choice price/performance
> wise is to go dual-channel.
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
>

Actually, I was referring to Dual Channel Value Ram. I defeinitely plan to
go Dual Channel. BUt there is the $108 brand, then there is the $300 brand.
The Anandtech forums had a whole thread about how it's not a huge increase
for the money, so I was figuring I would buy the cheap Dual Channel sticks.

As for what I plan to do, I plan to play 3d-intensive games. I think I will
just put th 1GB (PC3200) in, and see if it suits me. I think it will, as
most people who bought the same board/CPU gave great reviews with 1GB RAM.
THe only bad thing about Newegg that I noticed is that there seems to be
only 1 bad review for every 1000 good ones, and 90% of the reviews have
something like "Newegg rocks!" at the end, which leads me to believe Newegg
wrote the reviews to sell more products. Or I could just be paranoid.

Thanks for your help!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2005 9:59:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

If you can alt-tab out during the game and have task manager running you can
see how much memory is free and how much swap file is in use. That can give
you an idea about whether to get more memory.

Hope nothing freezes when you try it.

If you get that Corsair Value Ram and later get another pair, don't expect
it to match the first pair. They mix in a bunch of different chips in their
Value Ram that they got from other manufacturers. Darn. So I can't dual
channel with the 2 singles I got. They don't even have the same number of
chips on them.

I'm about to try the Kingmax pc3200, which is now under $100 a pair. I have
my fingers crossed that my board will pick it up in dual channel.

People have said that their negative reviews don't all get published on
newegg. Had that happen too. You probably have to hide it in a good-seeming
review. Seeing 90 glowing reviews is pretty encouraging, though.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2005 12:07:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Michael Brown wrote:
> ReddShadoe wrote:
> [...]
>> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
>> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
>> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?
>
> Yes.
>
>> And if
>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>> Dual Channel mode?
>
> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.


Rubbish.


>
>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>> 333MHz?
>
> Yes.


Complete rubbish.
They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.


>
>> Basically I guess I want to know what would be faster, a mixed-memory
>> combo of 2GB, or a PC3200 setup of 1GB.
>
> That depends a lot on what you do. If you're frequently using more
> than 1GB of RAM, then the 2GB will perform better. Otherwise, the
> faster 1GB will go ... faster :)  The best way to tell, since you are
> going to have both sticks, is to try it out yourself. You know what
> you use the most, and each system is different in how it reacts.
>
>> I've also seen many
>> discussions that say that the so-called Value RAM performs just as
>> good as the expensive stuff. Comments?
>
> The A64 is a bit more sensitive to timings than the P4 or AXP. I
> thought there was an article on Anandtech that benchmarked a few
> different timing configurations, but I can't find it at the moment.
> The best I could do is:
> http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2330 which showed 2-2-2 RAM
> being between 1% and 5% faster (averaging
> 2.5%) than 3-3-3 RAM in Half Life 2. Bear in mind that their test
> system was a FX55 with an X850 XT PE, so was more sensitive to memory
> speed than your average rig. If you want to spend significantly more
> money for a 2.5% increase that's up to you :)  A probably better
> choice price/performance wise is to go dual-channel.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 2:35:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Forum User wrote:
> Michael Brown wrote:
>> ReddShadoe wrote:
>> [...]
>>> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
>>> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
>>> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> And if
>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>>> Dual Channel mode?
>>
>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>
> Rubbish.

No, you are the one talking rubbish. It's not very common, but in some cases
two quite different sticks will just not work together however hard you try.
There's plenty of information out there on this, just use google.

>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>> 333MHz?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Complete rubbish.
> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.

Are you blind, dumb or just trolling? Read what you just quoted above: he's
wanting to put a stick of PC3200 (= 400MHz using the OP's notation) along
with a stick of PC2700 (= 333MHz in the OP's notation). 333 < 400 so it'll
run at 333MHz.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 2:35:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Michael Brown wrote:
> Forum User wrote:
>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>> ReddShadoe wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
>>>> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
>>>> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>>> And if
>>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>>>> Dual Channel mode?
>>>
>>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>>
>> Rubbish.
>
> No, you are the one talking rubbish. It's not very common, but in
> some cases two quite different sticks will just not work together
> however hard you try. There's plenty of information out there on
> this, just use google.
>>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>>> 333MHz?
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>
>> Complete rubbish.
>> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.
>
> Are you blind, dumb or just trolling? Read what you just quoted
> above: he's wanting to put a stick of PC3200 (= 400MHz using the OP's
> notation) along with a stick of PC2700 (= 333MHz in the OP's
> notation). 333 < 400 so it'll run at 333MHz.

It'll run at whatever FSB he sets it to, if it's within the capability of
the slowest stick.
I run all sorts of combinations of slow and fast RAM - and never had a
problem.
But you know what they say : - those who know, do - those who don't, teach.
You've obviously never tried it before.
It's not illegal, you know <gasp>



>
> [...]
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 3:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:4BxZd.22619$3A6.6785@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Michael Brown wrote:
>> ReddShadoe wrote:
>> [...]
>>> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
>>> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
>>> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> And if
>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>>> Dual Channel mode?
>>
>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>
>
> Rubbish.
>
>
>>
>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>> 333MHz?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>
> Complete rubbish.
> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.
>
>
Seeing as how my lowest max for any one stick is 333Mhz, how is this
"complete rubbish"?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 11:30:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

ReddShadoe wrote:
> "Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:4BxZd.22619$3A6.6785@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>> ReddShadoe wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>> My question: I have 1GB of PC2700 RAM that I was using on my
>>>> D845PESV with the P4 1.8. I plan to buy 1GB of PC3200 for the new
>>>> board, but could I use the PC2700 also for a total of 2GB?
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>>> And if
>>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>>>> Dual Channel mode?
>>>
>>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>>
>>
>> Rubbish.
>>
>>
>>>
>>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>>> 333MHz?
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>
>>
>> Complete rubbish.
>> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.
>>
>>
> Seeing as how my lowest max for any one stick is 333Mhz, how is this
> "complete rubbish"?

Please READ before responding - I said lowest MAX, which is unlikely to be
the same as the default.
Most memory will do at least 30% more than the default FSB - some will do
more than double.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 12:16:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Forum User wrote:

> Michael Brown wrote:
>> Forum User wrote:
>>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>>> ReddShadoe wrote:
[...]
>>>>> And if
>>>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from using
>>>>> Dual Channel mode?
>>>>
>>>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>>>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>>>
>>> Rubbish.
>>
>> No, you are the one talking rubbish. It's not very common, but in
>> some cases two quite different sticks will just not work together
>> however hard you try. There's plenty of information out there on
>> this, just use google.
>>
>>>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>>>> 333MHz?
>>>>
>>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> Complete rubbish.
>>> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.
>>
>> Are you blind, dumb or just trolling? Read what you just quoted
>> above: he's wanting to put a stick of PC3200 (= 400MHz using the OP's
>> notation) along with a stick of PC2700 (= 333MHz in the OP's
>> notation). 333 < 400 so it'll run at 333MHz.
>
> It'll run at whatever FSB he sets it to, if it's within the capability of
> the slowest stick.

Nice dodge. And you didn't respond to the first section either. You do sales
or marketing by any chance? :) 

> I run all sorts of combinations of slow and fast RAM - and never had a
> problem.

I was in the same situation, until about three weeks ago ...

> But you know what they say : - those who know, do - those who don't,
> teach.

And those who think they know but don't have the experience to know that
what they know isn't the universal rule go onto usenet and proclaim
themselves to be the One True Source of information.

> You've obviously never tried it before.

Damn, so the 5-odd 939 boards and the 10-odd dual-channel P4 boards I've set
up or worked with that have had weird configurations have been illusions.

If you want first-hand evidence (which you will no doubt call an invention
since it doesn't fit your picture of the world, but hey), I recently tried
to stick a 512MB generic stick (AM1, CL3 at DDR400 can't remember the other
timings) along with a stick of HyperX (CL2, google will tell you the other
timings). The motherboard was a Soltek K8T800 Pro 939 board; I can't
remember the name off the top of my head. It was since the software he was
running (home-grown nuclear physics simulation) was needing more RAM, and
it would take a week or two to grind through the paperwork to get another
stick. I had the AM1 more or less lying around spare, so I loaned it to him
for a couple of weeks (or that was the plan).

Popped it straight in and it wouldn't boot. Somewhat surprising to me, since
I'd seem more weird combinations working, so I removed the HyperX, fired it
up (it booted fine), and put the board into manual timing mode (which used
the current AM1 timings). IIRC, the memory timing capabilities of the board
were somewhat limited. Only the most common 3 or 4 properties. Trying to
boot with both stick still didn't get anywhere. Tried loosening (and also
general fiddling with) all the timings even more, dropping it down to
DDR333 and even DDR200, and the only time it POSTed was with loosened
timings DDR200, where it was so unstable that memtest86+ crashed before it
even really got running.

This is the only time I've ever had trouble with a mixed-memory dual-channel
setup out of the 15-odd "mixed-memory" dual-channel boards I've worked
with. The one that I had problems with probably was one of the least mixed
configurations I've dealt with. So like I said, it's not common, but it
does happen.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 12:16:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

MIchael Brown wrote:
> Forum User wrote:
>
>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>> Forum User wrote:
>>>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>>>> ReddShadoe wrote:
> [...]
>>>>>> And if
>>>>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from
>>>>>> using Dual Channel mode?
>>>>>
>>>>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>>>>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>>>>
>>>> Rubbish.
>>>
>>> No, you are the one talking rubbish. It's not very common, but in
>>> some cases two quite different sticks will just not work together
>>> however hard you try. There's plenty of information out there on
>>> this, just use google.
>>>
>>>>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>>>>> 333MHz?
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes.
>>>>
>>>> Complete rubbish.
>>>> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.
>>>
>>> Are you blind, dumb or just trolling? Read what you just quoted
>>> above: he's wanting to put a stick of PC3200 (= 400MHz using the
>>> OP's notation) along with a stick of PC2700 (= 333MHz in the OP's
>>> notation). 333 < 400 so it'll run at 333MHz.
>>
>> It'll run at whatever FSB he sets it to, if it's within the
>> capability of the slowest stick.
>
> Nice dodge. And you didn't respond to the first section either. You
> do sales or marketing by any chance? :) 
>
>> I run all sorts of combinations of slow and fast RAM - and never had
>> a problem.
>
> I was in the same situation, until about three weeks ago ...
>
>> But you know what they say : - those who know, do - those who don't,
>> teach.
>
> And those who think they know but don't have the experience to know
> that what they know isn't the universal rule go onto usenet and
> proclaim themselves to be the One True Source of information.
>
>> You've obviously never tried it before.
>
> Damn, so the 5-odd 939 boards and the 10-odd dual-channel P4 boards
> I've set up or worked with that have had weird configurations have
> been illusions.


No, but they may all have been exceptions ... hehe.


>
> If you want first-hand evidence (which you will no doubt call an
> invention since it doesn't fit your picture of the world, but hey), I
> recently tried to stick a 512MB generic stick (AM1, CL3 at DDR400
> can't remember the other timings) along with a stick of HyperX (CL2,
> google will tell you the other timings). The motherboard was a Soltek
> K8T800 Pro 939 board; I can't remember the name off the top of my
> head. It was since the software he was running (home-grown nuclear
> physics simulation) was needing more RAM, and it would take a week or
> two to grind through the paperwork to get another stick. I had the
> AM1 more or less lying around spare, so I loaned it to him for a
> couple of weeks (or that was the plan).
>
> Popped it straight in and it wouldn't boot. Somewhat surprising to
> me, since I'd seem more weird combinations working, so I removed the
> HyperX, fired it up (it booted fine), and put the board into manual
> timing mode (which used the current AM1 timings). IIRC, the memory
> timing capabilities of the board were somewhat limited. Only the most
> common 3 or 4 properties. Trying to boot with both stick still didn't
> get anywhere. Tried loosening (and also general fiddling with) all
> the timings even more, dropping it down to DDR333 and even DDR200,
> and the only time it POSTed was with loosened timings DDR200, where
> it was so unstable that memtest86+ crashed before it even really got
> running.
>
> This is the only time I've ever had trouble with a mixed-memory
> dual-channel setup out of the 15-odd "mixed-memory" dual-channel
> boards I've worked with. The one that I had problems with probably
> was one of the least mixed configurations I've dealt with. So like I
> said, it's not common, but it does happen.

I think what the OP should be drawing from all this is that the overwhelming
likelihood is that he won't run into any problems - and that he should go
ahead ... he has my blessings.


>
> [...]
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 12:16:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o CJZd.1386$V12.1202@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> MIchael Brown wrote:
>> Forum User wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>>> Forum User wrote:
>>>>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>>>>> ReddShadoe wrote:
>> [...]
>>>>>>> And if
>>>>>>> this is possible, would this 2GB combination prohibit me from
>>>>>>> using Dual Channel mode?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In theory, assuming the timings were set corectly, no. In practice
>>>>>> they may simply just not want to cooperate in dual-channel mode.
>>>>>
>>>>> Rubbish.
>>>>
>>>> No, you are the one talking rubbish. It's not very common, but in
>>>> some cases two quite different sticks will just not work together
>>>> however hard you try. There's plenty of information out there on
>>>> this, just use google.
>>>>
>>>>>>> And also, would it slow all the DIMMs down to
>>>>>>> 333MHz?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes.
>>>>>
>>>>> Complete rubbish.
>>>>> They'll run at whatever the lowest max for any one stick is.
>>>>
>>>> Are you blind, dumb or just trolling? Read what you just quoted
>>>> above: he's wanting to put a stick of PC3200 (= 400MHz using the
>>>> OP's notation) along with a stick of PC2700 (= 333MHz in the OP's
>>>> notation). 333 < 400 so it'll run at 333MHz.
>>>
>>> It'll run at whatever FSB he sets it to, if it's within the
>>> capability of the slowest stick.
>>
>> Nice dodge. And you didn't respond to the first section either. You
>> do sales or marketing by any chance? :) 
>>
>>> I run all sorts of combinations of slow and fast RAM - and never had
>>> a problem.
>>
>> I was in the same situation, until about three weeks ago ...
>>
>>> But you know what they say : - those who know, do - those who don't,
>>> teach.
>>
>> And those who think they know but don't have the experience to know
>> that what they know isn't the universal rule go onto usenet and
>> proclaim themselves to be the One True Source of information.
>>
>>> You've obviously never tried it before.
>>
>> Damn, so the 5-odd 939 boards and the 10-odd dual-channel P4 boards
>> I've set up or worked with that have had weird configurations have
>> been illusions.
>
>
> No, but they may all have been exceptions ... hehe.
>
>
>>
>> If you want first-hand evidence (which you will no doubt call an
>> invention since it doesn't fit your picture of the world, but hey), I
>> recently tried to stick a 512MB generic stick (AM1, CL3 at DDR400
>> can't remember the other timings) along with a stick of HyperX (CL2,
>> google will tell you the other timings). The motherboard was a Soltek
>> K8T800 Pro 939 board; I can't remember the name off the top of my
>> head. It was since the software he was running (home-grown nuclear
>> physics simulation) was needing more RAM, and it would take a week or
>> two to grind through the paperwork to get another stick. I had the
>> AM1 more or less lying around spare, so I loaned it to him for a
>> couple of weeks (or that was the plan).
>>
>> Popped it straight in and it wouldn't boot. Somewhat surprising to
>> me, since I'd seem more weird combinations working, so I removed the
>> HyperX, fired it up (it booted fine), and put the board into manual
>> timing mode (which used the current AM1 timings). IIRC, the memory
>> timing capabilities of the board were somewhat limited. Only the most
>> common 3 or 4 properties. Trying to boot with both stick still didn't
>> get anywhere. Tried loosening (and also general fiddling with) all
>> the timings even more, dropping it down to DDR333 and even DDR200,
>> and the only time it POSTed was with loosened timings DDR200, where
>> it was so unstable that memtest86+ crashed before it even really got
>> running.
>>
>> This is the only time I've ever had trouble with a mixed-memory
>> dual-channel setup out of the 15-odd "mixed-memory" dual-channel
>> boards I've worked with. The one that I had problems with probably
>> was one of the least mixed configurations I've dealt with. So like I
>> said, it's not common, but it does happen.
>
> I think what the OP should be drawing from all this is that the
> overwhelming likelihood is that he won't run into any problems - and that
> he should go ahead ... he has my blessings.
>
>

What I'm drawing from this is that you like to start arguments. I am the
OP, and I and the responder both have pointed out more than once that my
slowest stick is 333Mhz. Therefore, all 4 sticks would run at 333Mhz. Your
childlike responses take all credibility away from you.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2005 2:09:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Forum User wrote:
> MIchael Brown wrote:

Oops, looks like I stuffed up the capitalisation in knode ...

>> Forum User wrote:
[...]
>>> You've obviously never tried it before.
>>
>> Damn, so the 5-odd 939 boards and the 10-odd dual-channel P4 boards
>> I've set up or worked with that have had weird configurations have
>> been illusions.
>
> No, but they may all have been exceptions ... hehe.

Oh, by "weird configurations" I just meant "weird configurations"; only one
of them (as detailed below) actually had problems. Most of the P4 boxes
were Dells. For some reason, Dell seems to ship a lot of dual-channel
capable boxes that only have one stick of RAM in them, often also only
PC2700 RAM. The main ones I dealt with needed a RAM upgrade, and generic
PC3200 was in fact faster (at PC2700 speeds) than the RAM that was in
there, and cheaper than getting similar-timing PC2700. The one that I
mainly used was the AM1 PC3200 that the 939 board below had problems with.
However, the Dell boxes had no trouble running a PC2700/PC3200 combination.

[...]
>> the only time it POSTed was with loosened timings DDR200, where
>> it was so unstable that memtest86+ crashed before it even really got
>> running.

I should mention that after messing around for a while I/we just gave up and
used both sticks in single-channel mode, which worked fine.

>> This is the only time I've ever had trouble with a mixed-memory
>> dual-channel setup out of the 15-odd "mixed-memory" dual-channel
>> boards I've worked with. The one that I had problems with probably
>> was one of the least mixed configurations I've dealt with. So like I
>> said, it's not common, but it does happen.
>
> I think what the OP should be drawing from all this is that the
> overwhelming likelihood is that he won't run into any problems - and that
> he should go ahead ... he has my blessings.

Absolutely. The chances of running onto problems, from my experience and
reading, are pretty slim. In any case, dual-channel has a fairly small
real-world performance gain, so if the OP really does need the full 2GB and
they don't do dual-channel together, then it's very likely that the two
sticks will cooperate in single-channel mode.

I was merely responding to your (apparent) point that everything will work
fine 100% of the time. But I'm glad this finished up somewhat civilised :) 

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
!