Athlon XP 2400+ CPU fan appears to have a problem

My retail CPU fan on my Athlon XP 2400+ has appeared to spun a baring.
(Literally.) My question is, I have a CPU fan & heatsink from an XP 1800+.
Will it at least get the job for a while if I pull the CPU fan off of the
1800+ heatsink and put it on my 2400+ heatsink? Eventually, it will be
replaced. Is there just a CPU fan replacement I can get or an alternative?
I don't want to take off the heatsink unless I have to. Thanks.

I can't recall what the stock fans are like on the XP2400+; should just
be a standard 60mm fan. In which case you can just head out to any
computer shop, pick up a 60mm fan for a few bucks (just make sure it has
at least the same airflow as the stock one does; some quiet 60mm fans
sacrifice air flow for silence).
Then all you'll have to do is unscrew the old fan and pop the new one
on... shouldn't need to take the heatsink off.

Justin

"Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> My retail CPU fan on my Athlon XP 2400+ has appeared to spun a baring.
> (Literally.) My question is, I have a CPU fan & heatsink from an XP
> 1800+. Will it at least get the job for a while if I pull the CPU fan off
> of the 1800+ heatsink and put it on my 2400+ heatsink? Eventually, it
> will be replaced. Is there just a CPU fan replacement I can get or an
> alternative? I don't want to take off the heatsink unless I have to.
> Thanks.

I went ahead and tried it, but the noise was still there. Found out that
the barely new video card was the culprit. the grease on it was caked.
Cleaned off the grease and oiled it and now it's fine, but I did have one of
the two bearings fall out when we tore apart the CPU fan, but it seems to be
working, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Glad you found the problem :)

JB

Travis King wrote:
> "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
>
>>My retail CPU fan on my Athlon XP 2400+ has appeared to spun a baring.
>>(Literally.) My question is, I have a CPU fan & heatsink from an XP
>>1800+. Will it at least get the job for a while if I pull the CPU fan off
>>of the 1800+ heatsink and put it on my 2400+ heatsink? Eventually, it
>>will be replaced. Is there just a CPU fan replacement I can get or an
>>alternative? I don't want to take off the heatsink unless I have to.
>>Thanks.
>>

> I went ahead and tried it, but the noise was still there. Found out that
> the barely new video card was the culprit. the grease on it was caked.
> Cleaned off the grease and oiled it and now it's fine, but I did have one of
> the two bearings fall out when we tore apart the CPU fan, but it seems to be
> working, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

TRENDING THREADS