Help with 2500 Barton & MSI KT6V KT600 mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2005 9:07:49 PM

Hi all, new to overclocking - just curious to see how high I can go really.

Have MSI KT6V (VIA KT600) mobo & Barton 2500 processor & 512Mb DDR 2700 RAM.
Standard (166Mhz FSB) runs fine no problems.
In theory I should be able to overlcock by raising FSB right ?? when I do
this I either get straight reboots, or reboots when launching
game/application.
Have been up to 195, very unstable, cranked down in 5Mhz jumps to 180 &
still get reboots in game.

Anyone got experience of this combination & can help ??

cheers JonMaC
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2005 11:28:24 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:07:49 +0000, JonMaC wrote:

> Hi all, new to overclocking - just curious to see how high I can go really.
>
> Have MSI KT6V (VIA KT600) mobo & Barton 2500 processor & 512Mb DDR 2700 RAM.
> Standard (166Mhz FSB) runs fine no problems.
> In theory I should be able to overlcock by raising FSB right ?? when I do
> this I either get straight reboots, or reboots when launching
> game/application.
> Have been up to 195, very unstable, cranked down in 5Mhz jumps to 180 &
> still get reboots in game.
>
> Anyone got experience of this combination & can help ??

First of all, the KT600 doesn't have a pci lock so you need to make sure
to keep the PCI bus within limits. If the bios has a divider setting you
need to set it to 6:2:1. Voltage and ram timings also need to be
considered when changing the FSB, meaning you probably need to manually
set vcore and ram timings before raising the FSB. Your ram is only rated
for 166MHz, so raing the FSB to 190 overclocks the ram from 166 to 190MHz.
Different MB handle this differently, so you need to find out how yours
handles the ram timings. Once you know what you're doing, you shouldn't
have a problem running the CPU as a 3200+ (11x200).

a b K Overclocking
March 20, 2005 9:58:14 PM

"JonMaC" <jonmac73@NOSPAMbtconnect.com> wrote in message
news:D 1ch1l$3ug$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Hi all, new to overclocking - just curious to see how high I can go
really.

> Have MSI KT6V (VIA KT600) mobo & Barton 2500 processor & 512Mb DDR 2700
RAM.
> Standard (166Mhz FSB) runs fine no problems.
> In theory I should be able to overlcock by raising FSB right ?? when I
do
> this I either get straight reboots, or reboots when launching
> game/application.
> Have been up to 195, very unstable, cranked down in 5Mhz jumps to 180 &
> still get reboots in game.
>
> Anyone got experience of this combination & can help ??
>
> cheers JonMaC

Thanks - any more opinions / experiences on this combination ???
JonMaC
!