processor not running at true speed

Hi, assembled a system one year ago, and now am trying to capture analogue
video to disk. Although I have the minimum spec for the hardware, I just
cannot process the signal fast enough, therefore resulting in a few dropped
frames. Looking at the system tab, it states processor running at 1.24ghz,
yet I have an Athlon 2600+ which shouild actually run at 2.13ghz. Spec
below.

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm)
Family/Model/Stepping 681
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping B0
Technology 0.13µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Clock Speed 1243.3 MHz
Clock multiplier x12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 99.5 MHz
Bus Speed 198.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1243.3 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Chipset

Northbridge nVidia nForce2 400 rev. C1
Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A4
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 3.0
AGP Transfert Rate 8x
AGP SBA supported, not enabled
AGP Aperture 64 MBytes
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 768 MBytes
Memory Frequency 165.8 MHz (3:5)
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7

have ram of 768mb

DIMM #1
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)

DIMM #2
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)

other info

DMI BIOS
--------
BIOS #1
vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
version 6.00 PG
date 08/01/2003

DMI Processor
-------------
CPU #1
manufacturer AMD
model AMD Athlon(tm) XP
clock speed 1250.0MHz
FSB speed 100.0MHz
multiplier 12.5x

I am just concerned it is not running at the proper speed. I have the manual
for the motherboard - Biostar M7NCD, but there seems to be no jumpers or
switches to change the cpu settings, if they have to be changed. Although I
have read later boards are jumperless.

If there are any changes, I haven't a clue. Although ooking at the Biostar
site, you can download winflash bios utility, and then follow instructions.
So, are the settings about right, and if so, why does the speed show as
1.24ghz ? Bios hasn't been changed from purchase.

If anyone has Athlon XP2600+ on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard, can they tell
me what their system tab shows ?

Thanks
18 answers Last reply
More about processor running true speed

    "anon" <spambulgelover@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > -------------
    > CPU #1
    > manufacturer AMD
    > model AMD Athlon(tm) XP
    > clock speed 1250.0MHz
    > FSB speed 100.0MHz
    > multiplier 12.5x
    >

    > I am just concerned it is not running at the proper speed. I have the
    > manual for the motherboard - Biostar M7NCD, but there seems to be no
    > jumpers or switches to change the cpu settings, if they have to be
    > changed. Although I have read later boards are jumperless.
    >
    > If there are any changes, I haven't a clue. Although ooking at the Biostar
    > site, you can download winflash bios utility, and then follow
    > instructions. So, are the settings about right, and if so, why does the
    > speed show as 1.24ghz ? Bios hasn't been changed from purchase.
    >
    > If anyone has Athlon XP2600+ on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard, can they tell

    There was probably something that caused the system's CMOS to reset to
    defaults which for FSB is 100 the 2600+ has a multiplier of 12.5 so 12.5 x
    100=1250 mhz. Where the FSB normally runs at 167 mhz 12.5 x 167= 2088 mhz.
    simply enter your bios and set it to the correct FSB timing.

    "anon" <spambulgelover@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, assembled a system one year ago, and now am trying to capture analogue
    > video to disk. Although I have the minimum spec for the hardware, I just
    > cannot process the signal fast enough, therefore resulting in a few
    > dropped frames. Looking at the system tab, it states processor running at
    > 1.24ghz, yet I have an Athlon 2600+ which shouild actually run at 2.13ghz.
    > Spec below.

    snip

    > Clock Speed 1243.3 MHz
    > Clock multiplier x12.5
    > Front Side Bus Frequency 99.5 MHz

    Reset your FSB from 100MHz (99.5 MHz) to 166MHz

    > Memory Type DDR
    > Memory Size 768 MBytes
    > Memory Frequency 165.8 MHz (3:5)
    > CAS# 2.5
    > RAS# to CAS# 3
    > RAS# Precharge 3
    > Cycle Time (tRAS) 7

    snip

    It appears your board may be using the AUTO RAM speed option in BIOS as your
    slowest RAM module is PC2700. If you want to synchonise the RAM to the CPU
    then set your RAM frequency to 166MHz (5:5) to match your FSB. That will
    help if you want to overclock. You may get your FSB to around 180MHz with
    the PC2700 RAM in you system. For best overall performance the RAM speed
    should be the same as the CPU FSB.

    > I am just concerned it is not running at the proper speed. I have the
    > manual for the motherboard - Biostar M7NCD, but there seems to be no
    > jumpers or switches to change the cpu settings, if they have to be
    > changed. Although I have read later boards are jumperless.

    The changes will have to be set in BIOS. Refer to your manual for how to
    access BIOS.

    > If there are any changes, I haven't a clue. Although ooking at the Biostar
    > site, you can download winflash bios utility, and then follow
    > instructions. So, are the settings about right, and if so, why does the
    > speed show as 1.24ghz ? Bios hasn't been changed from purchase.

    Make the above basic changes before worrying about a BIOS update. If the
    changes won't save, ie the CPU defaults back to 1.25GHz, then it most likely
    the battery is dead, assuming you have not left the BIOS jumper in the
    re-set position.

    Progressed somewhat....changed fsb frequency to 166mhz, and yes, system now
    showing 2.08ghz. However, frames still being dropped, and software states
    system still not fast enough ( despite stating minimum of 2ghz ). As far as
    changing memory frequency. It is set on byspd, not set on auto. It's odd, as
    the three settings allowed are Optimal ( most stable ), Turbo ( some
    restrictions ) Expert ( no restrictions ) - optimal was set on byspd, yet
    changing to turbo ( and its set on auto permanently ). For expert, I can set
    mem speed to 200mhz, but as dave says, it should match the fsb frequency. I
    presume I am gonna have to live with the dropped frames ?

    > Progressed somewhat....changed fsb frequency to 166mhz, and yes,
    system now
    > showing 2.08ghz. However, frames still being dropped, and
    software states
    > system still not fast enough ( despite stating minimum of 2ghz ).
    As far as
    > changing memory frequency. It is set on byspd, not set on auto.
    It's odd, as
    > the three settings allowed are Optimal ( most stable ), Turbo (
    some
    > restrictions ) Expert ( no restrictions ) - optimal was set on
    byspd, yet
    > changing to turbo ( and its set on auto permanently ). For
    expert, I can set
    > mem speed to 200mhz, but as dave says, it should match the fsb
    frequency. I
    > presume I am gonna have to live with the dropped frames ?

    The only way I've found around it, is to get a dedicated card that
    converts on the fly to MPG format.

    Those minimum requirements are probably minimum for the hardware to
    work. Minimum for no dropped frames are likely significantly
    higher.

    --
    LTP

    When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't
    spoken yet.

    anon wrote:
    > Progressed somewhat....changed fsb frequency to 166mhz, and yes, system now
    > showing 2.08ghz. However, frames still being dropped, and software states
    > system still not fast enough ( despite stating minimum of 2ghz ). As far as
    > changing memory frequency. It is set on byspd, not set on auto. It's odd, as
    > the three settings allowed are Optimal ( most stable ), Turbo ( some
    > restrictions ) Expert ( no restrictions ) - optimal was set on byspd, yet
    > changing to turbo ( and its set on auto permanently ). For expert, I can set
    > mem speed to 200mhz, but as dave says, it should match the fsb frequency. I
    > presume I am gonna have to live with the dropped frames ?

    I don't know what software or settings you are using, but capturing
    video from a DV camcorder does not require that much power. I did a few
    hours of home movies with my old 500 athlon. If you are capturing HDTV
    and/or compressing on the fly then that is a different story. Try to
    capture to AVI then edit and compress. Causes of dropped frames:

    http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/droppedframes.htm

    anon wrote:
    > Progressed somewhat....changed fsb frequency to 166mhz, and yes,
    > system now showing 2.08ghz. However, frames still being dropped, and
    > software states system still not fast enough ( despite stating
    > minimum of 2ghz ). As far as changing memory frequency. It is set on
    > byspd, not set on auto. It's odd, as the three settings allowed are
    > Optimal ( most stable ), Turbo ( some restrictions ) Expert ( no
    > restrictions ) - optimal was set on byspd, yet changing to turbo (
    > and its set on auto permanently ). For expert, I can set mem speed to
    > 200mhz, but as dave says, it should match the fsb frequency. I
    > presume I am gonna have to live with the dropped frames ?

    At stock bus speeds the 2600+ runs at 1917 MHz. I own one, it says that on
    the box and it says that on my hardware monitor. Some stupid software
    doesn't allow for the AMD speed rating, which although the PR rating is
    2600, obviously the real MHz reading is beloe 2 gig! Even so, if you are
    dropping frames on a system like this, look at your hard drive setup and do
    consider using DDR400 RAM throughout. I also do not know how you can be
    reading 2.08 GHz on a standard 166/167 MHz bus with the correct multiplier!

    Ian wrote:

    > At stock bus speeds the 2600+ runs at 1917 MHz.

    unless it's a t-bred

    AXDA2600DKV3D 2600+ 2083MHz 12.5x
    AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz 16x
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote in message
    > anon wrote:
    >> Progressed somewhat....changed fsb frequency to 166mhz, and yes,
    >> system now showing 2.08ghz. However, frames still being dropped, and
    >> software states system still not fast enough ( despite stating
    >> minimum of 2ghz ). As far as changing memory frequency. It is set on
    >> byspd, not set on auto. It's odd, as the three settings allowed are
    >> Optimal ( most stable ), Turbo ( some restrictions ) Expert ( no
    >> restrictions ) - optimal was set on byspd, yet changing to turbo (
    >> and its set on auto permanently ). For expert, I can set mem speed to
    >> 200mhz, but as dave says, it should match the fsb frequency. I
    >> presume I am gonna have to live with the dropped frames ?
    >
    > At stock bus speeds the 2600+ runs at 1917 MHz. I own one, it says that
    > on
    > the box and it says that on my hardware monitor. Some stupid software
    > doesn't allow for the AMD speed rating, which although the PR rating is
    > 2600, obviously the real MHz reading is beloe 2 gig! Even so, if you are
    > dropping frames on a system like this, look at your hard drive setup and
    > do
    > consider using DDR400 RAM throughout. I also do not know how you can be
    > reading 2.08 GHz on a standard 166/167 MHz bus with the correct
    > multiplier!

    The OP nevermentioned which videocard he's using, and as far as droped
    frames goes.. that's the biggest culprit, not the processor, make sure the
    videocard isn't a bottleneck first.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    To update everyone, capture card is Pinnacle Dazzle 90 ( USB2 ), so how
    Dazzle 80 using USB1 copes I don't know ! Frames must drop all over the
    place.

    PCI Card may be better than USB, but it's almost twice the price. I've
    bought the thing now anyway !

    Have a pci card with software convertor ( digit tv ) , but this couldn't
    cope at all really, and the manufacturer accepted this ( although they are
    still working on updates ), it's an excellent digital tv capture card
    though. I read and accept that a hardware processor takes pressure off the
    processor. So thought this card ( Dazzle 90 ) would be ok, epsecially with a
    faster USB port.

    I did manage dropping 1 in 375 frames a minute before the FSB change, but
    the quality was appalling, far too blocky. As Ian said, probably pushing
    system to the limit ( how many processes do all of us have running at the
    same time ! ). Therefore I have stripped the whole system down to just OS
    and a couple of programs. I'm using Trueimage ( captures the whole drive,
    OS, programs, settings etc.to restore ), and then restore back and forth (
    so I just restored to an earlier version ). Bit of a pain but fairly easy
    and quick, and I need to run other programs and have internet access, which
    requires firewall etc. The less I have running the better. Anyway, by
    stripping down, I can process with 1 in 100 frames dropped. Can't really
    notice, as that's 1 frame every four seconds ( @ 25fps ).Have captured at
    less that the recommended kbs per sec, but no difference. This capture looks
    ok in media player. Will test tomorrow on DVD player and TV, but resolution
    should be even better, rather than worse.

    Selection of other software capture programs at
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=5#5
    Although the one I am using ( Pinnacle Studio 9.4 ) states 'Capture and edit
    DVD Quality MPEG video from your DV, MicroMV or Digital8 camcorder. Import
    and Edit MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files. Intelligent Rendering renders only the
    effects, saving you time and space'. Are any of the others worth a look ?
    Although as the capture card and the software are produced by the same
    company, I probably won't get any better rendering.

    Thanks to all contributors in the thread ........
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > To update everyone, capture card is Pinnacle Dazzle 90 ( USB2 ), so how
    > Dazzle 80 using USB1 copes I don't know ! Frames must drop all over the
    > place.
    >
    > PCI Card may be better than USB, but it's almost twice the price. I've
    > bought the thing now anyway !
    >
    > Have a pci card with software convertor ( digit tv ) , but this couldn't
    > cope at all really, and the manufacturer accepted this ( although they are
    > still working on updates ), it's an excellent digital tv capture card
    > though. I read and accept that a hardware processor takes pressure off the
    > processor. So thought this card ( Dazzle 90 ) would be ok, epsecially with
    > a faster USB port.
    >
    > I did manage dropping 1 in 375 frames a minute before the FSB change, but
    > the quality was appalling, far too blocky. As Ian said, probably pushing
    > system to the limit ( how many processes do all of us have running at the
    > same time ! ). Therefore I have stripped the whole system down to just OS
    > and a couple of programs. I'm using Trueimage ( captures the whole drive,
    > OS, programs, settings etc.to restore ), and then restore back and forth
    > ( so I just restored to an earlier version ). Bit of a pain but fairly
    > easy and quick, and I need to run other programs and have internet access,
    > which requires firewall etc. The less I have running the better. Anyway,
    > by stripping down, I can process with 1 in 100 frames dropped. Can't
    > really notice, as that's 1 frame every four seconds ( @ 25fps ).Have
    > captured at less that the recommended kbs per sec, but no difference. This
    > capture looks ok in media player. Will test tomorrow on DVD player and TV,
    > but resolution should be even better, rather than worse.
    >
    > Selection of other software capture programs at
    > http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=5#5
    > Although the one I am using ( Pinnacle Studio 9.4 ) states 'Capture and
    > edit DVD Quality MPEG video from your DV, MicroMV or Digital8 camcorder.
    > Import and Edit MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files. Intelligent Rendering renders
    > only the effects, saving you time and space'. Are any of the others worth
    > a look ? Although as the capture card and the software are produced by the
    > same company, I probably won't get any better rendering.
    >
    > Thanks to all contributors in the thread ........

    Have you concidered getting an ATI x800 All-in-Wonder AGP card and trying
    that instead of a PCI or USB capture card, All-in-wonders are designed for
    video editing.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Only need to transfer 25 video tapes to digital format. So no I won't
    consider Ati card. Have looked at ones avaialble in the past, but now i've
    committed myself, I just want to finish these tapes. Won't need it anymore.
    Bought USB device, so I can sell easier on Ebay. More people want usb
    plugin, than opening their system with a PCI card.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    M. Bezzel wrote:
    > Ian wrote:
    >>
    >> At stock bus speeds the 2600+ runs at 1917 MHz.
    >
    > unless it's a t-bred
    >
    > AXDA2600DKV3D 2600+ 2083MHz 12.5x
    > AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz 16x

    I stand corrected. I guess the end result is similar if you are not going
    to o/c?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Chuck wrote:
    > "anon" <spambulgelover@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> To update everyone, capture card is Pinnacle Dazzle 90 ( USB2 ), so
    >> how Dazzle 80 using USB1 copes I don't know ! Frames must drop all
    >> over the place.
    >>
    >> PCI Card may be better than USB, but it's almost twice the price.
    >> I've bought the thing now anyway !
    >>
    >> Have a pci card with software convertor ( digit tv ) , but this
    >> couldn't cope at all really, and the manufacturer accepted this (
    >> although they are still working on updates ), it's an excellent
    >> digital tv capture card though. I read and accept that a hardware
    >> processor takes pressure off the processor. So thought this card (
    >> Dazzle 90 ) would be ok, epsecially with a faster USB port.
    >>
    >> I did manage dropping 1 in 375 frames a minute before the FSB
    >> change, but the quality was appalling, far too blocky. As Ian said,
    >> probably pushing system to the limit ( how many processes do all of
    >> us have running at the same time ! ). Therefore I have stripped the
    >> whole system down to just OS and a couple of programs. I'm using
    >> Trueimage ( captures the whole drive, OS, programs, settings etc.to
    >> restore ), and then restore back and forth ( so I just restored to
    >> an earlier version ). Bit of a pain but fairly easy and quick, and I
    >> need to run other programs and have internet access, which requires
    >> firewall etc. The less I have running the better. Anyway, by
    >> stripping down, I can process with 1 in 100 frames dropped. Can't
    >> really notice, as that's 1 frame every four seconds ( @ 25fps ).Have
    >> captured at less that the recommended kbs per sec, but no
    >> difference. This capture looks ok in media player. Will test
    >> tomorrow on DVD player and TV, but resolution should be even better,
    >> rather than worse.
    >>
    >> Selection of other software capture programs at
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=5#5
    >> Although the one I am using ( Pinnacle Studio 9.4 ) states 'Capture
    >> and edit DVD Quality MPEG video from your DV, MicroMV or Digital8
    >> camcorder. Import and Edit MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files. Intelligent
    >> Rendering renders only the effects, saving you time and space'. Are
    >> any of the others worth a look ? Although as the capture card and
    >> the software are produced by the same company, I probably won't get
    >> any better rendering.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all contributors in the thread ........
    >

    > Have you concidered getting an ATI x800 All-in-Wonder AGP card and
    > trying that instead of a PCI or USB capture card, All-in-wonders are
    > designed for video editing.

    It's getting a bit OT for this group, but what sort of video file are you
    trying to produce? To capture to MPEG2 at a frame size, bit rate and audio
    bit rate suitable for DVD should easily be within reach of your system. I
    can do it on mine. This is a *huge* topic unfortunately, but if your capture
    card has a WDM driver there are many software choices available for
    capturing video at DVD quality and I run a few of them perfectly well on my
    2600 system....
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Software not particularly good writes
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/nonatimpeg/nonatimpeg.htm apart from Ati
    Wonder card, which I do not have. As I said before, I can't believe that the
    device will run better with software other than that which came with it, as
    the software is not lightweight, but a standalone program in itself..
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote in message
    > anon wrote:
    >> Progressed somewhat....changed fsb frequency to 166mhz, and yes,
    >> system now showing 2.08ghz. However, frames still being dropped, and
    >> software states system still not fast enough ( despite stating
    >> minimum of 2ghz ). As far as changing memory frequency. It is set on
    >> byspd, not set on auto. It's odd, as the three settings allowed are
    >> Optimal ( most stable ), Turbo ( some restrictions ) Expert ( no
    >> restrictions ) - optimal was set on byspd, yet changing to turbo (
    >> and its set on auto permanently ). For expert, I can set mem speed to
    >> 200mhz, but as dave says, it should match the fsb frequency. I
    >> presume I am gonna have to live with the dropped frames ?
    >
    > At stock bus speeds the 2600+ runs at 1917 MHz. I own one, it says that
    > on
    > the box and it says that on my hardware monitor. Some stupid software
    > doesn't allow for the AMD speed rating, which although the PR rating is
    > 2600, obviously the real MHz reading is beloe 2 gig! Even so, if you are
    > dropping frames on a system like this, look at your hard drive setup and
    > do
    > consider using DDR400 RAM throughout. I also do not know how you can be
    > reading 2.08 GHz on a standard 166/167 MHz bus with the correct
    > multiplier!

    There is a 2600+ with 256Kb of L2
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > To update everyone, capture card is Pinnacle Dazzle 90 ( USB2 ), so how
    > Dazzle 80 using USB1 copes I don't know ! Frames must drop all over the
    > place.
    >
    > PCI Card may be better than USB, but it's almost twice the price. I've
    > bought the thing now anyway !
    >
    > Have a pci card with software convertor ( digit tv ) , but this couldn't
    > cope at all really, and the manufacturer accepted this ( although they are
    > still working on updates ), it's an excellent digital tv capture card
    > though. I read and accept that a hardware processor takes pressure off the
    > processor. So thought this card ( Dazzle 90 ) would be ok, epsecially with
    > a faster USB port.
    >
    > I did manage dropping 1 in 375 frames a minute before the FSB change, but
    > the quality was appalling, far too blocky. As Ian said, probably pushing
    > system to the limit ( how many processes do all of us have running at the
    > same time ! ). Therefore I have stripped the whole system down to just OS
    > and a couple of programs. I'm using Trueimage ( captures the whole drive,
    > OS, programs, settings etc.to restore ), and then restore back and forth
    > ( so I just restored to an earlier version ). Bit of a pain but fairly
    > easy and quick, and I need to run other programs and have internet access,
    > which requires firewall etc. The less I have running the better. Anyway,
    > by stripping down, I can process with 1 in 100 frames dropped. Can't
    > really notice, as that's 1 frame every four seconds ( @ 25fps ).Have
    > captured at less that the recommended kbs per sec, but no difference. This
    > capture looks ok in media player. Will test tomorrow on DVD player and TV,
    > but resolution should be even better, rather than worse.

    As it appears your BIOS went into safety mode originally, it has likely
    reset your USB settings back to USB 1.0 instead of 2.0. Have another look
    in BIOS and check it out.

    The reason why I said to get your RAM running in sync with the CPU was to
    remove waitstates. Since your RAM is now in sync with the CPU, try
    increasing the FSB a few MHz at a time and test. There will come a point
    that the CPU core voltage has to be increased to keep the CPU stable. Try
    Prime95 torture test #1 for the CPU and use memtest86+ for RAM testing.

    Dave
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Software not particularly good writes
    > http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/nonatimpeg/nonatimpeg.htm apart
    from Ati
    > Wonder card, which I do not have. As I said before, I can't
    believe that the
    > device will run better with software other than that which came
    with it, as
    > the software is not lightweight, but a standalone program in
    itself..

    I hate bloatware. You have to install a 400 mb suite to get a
    utility which should rightfully be 3 mb or less. (The HP printer
    driver, is what I am getting these numbers from)

    --
    LTP

    When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't
    spoken yet.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "anon" <spambulgelover@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Software not particularly good writes
    > http://www.digitalfaq.com/capture/nonatimpeg/nonatimpeg.htm apart from Ati
    > Wonder card, which I do not have. As I said before, I can't believe that
    the
    > device will run better with software other than that which came with it,
    as
    > the software is not lightweight, but a standalone program in itself..
    Huh?
    Ok, I read every reply, and so far the best thing I've read, you don't want
    to do.
    ATI (AIW) Cards are very nice, you don't have to get top of the line if you
    don't Video Game Much.
    "I don't video game much."
    Next, Ulead Video Studio 6 or 7 is Very nice for what you want to do, if
    your trying to go to DVD.
    Loosing frames is ok too, if ur only loosing 1-5%, most of the time, you
    won't even notice.
    Ulead Video Studio 7 Can do an auto chapter every 5Min. for you if you want,
    and you can also
    use it to burn the Video's to dvd.
    Last, other then the software your hardware came with, there's a lot out.
    VirtualDub is not only nice for Divx Capture, & other Codec's, but it's an
    Open source Program.
    So if you know how to program, you can recompile to your liking if you
    don't like it.

    RavingRaichu

AMD Overclocking Product