Asus A8V MB - Dual Channel Memory Architecture

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2005 1:54:38 AM

I'm buying one of these to go with an AMD 64 S939 processor. What I'm not
sure of is can I use my 2 existing DDR 266 ram chips until I buy a set of
Dual Channel ram chips. It seems so from the MB Manual and the info I have
off the site I'm buying it (ncix.com) but I'd really like to hear from one
of you in the know.

Not being familar with Dual Channel ram is it much better than regular?

RY
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2005 2:11:08 AM

> I'm buying one of these to go with an AMD 64 S939 processor. What I'm not
> sure of is can I use my 2 existing DDR 266 ram chips until I buy a set of
> Dual Channel ram chips. It seems so from the MB Manual and the info I
> have off the site I'm buying it (ncix.com) but I'd really like to hear
> from one of you in the know.
>
> Not being familar with Dual Channel ram is it much better than regular?
>
> RY

Depends on how memory bandwidth intensive the application you're running is.
Makes a difference in gaming from my experience. Ran 3DMark 2003 on the same
system in sigle and dual channel mode and gained 600 extra points in the
dual channel setup.

Lord Deckard.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2005 2:55:30 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:54:38 +0000, IMA wrote:

> I'm buying one of these to go with an AMD 64 S939 processor. What I'm not
> sure of is can I use my 2 existing DDR 266 ram chips until I buy a set of
> Dual Channel ram chips. It seems so from the MB Manual and the info I have
> off the site I'm buying it (ncix.com) but I'd really like to hear from one
> of you in the know.
>
> Not being familar with Dual Channel ram is it much better than regular?

No such thing as dual channel ram. It's just ram in dual channel mode to
the controller. I think what you really want to know is if you can use
your PC2100 (133MHz, DDR266) in the MB and the answer is yes as long as
you don't try overclocking the FSB too much. This assumes that your board
supports PC2100 ram, and I haven't heard of one that doesn't. Check MB
specs.

a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2005 3:13:47 AM

"Lord Deckard" <deckard(NOSPAM)1998@(DONTSPAMME)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:423b6014$0$30571$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>> I'm buying one of these to go with an AMD 64 S939 processor. What I'm
>> not sure of is can I use my 2 existing DDR 266 ram chips until I buy a
>> set of Dual Channel ram chips. It seems so from the MB Manual and the
>> info I have off the site I'm buying it (ncix.com) but I'd really like to
>> hear from one of you in the know.
>>
>> Not being familar with Dual Channel ram is it much better than regular?
>>
>> RY
>
> Depends on how memory bandwidth intensive the application you're running
> is. Makes a difference in gaming from my experience. Ran 3DMark 2003 on
> the same system in sigle and dual channel mode and gained 600 extra points
> in the dual channel setup.
>
> Lord Deckard.
Gaming is most of what I do with my system. I broke down and ordered
CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB KIT PC3200 DDR CAS2.5 2X512MB to go
with. The old ram can go to my son's system.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2005 5:14:38 AM

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.18.23.56.04.980553@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:54:38 +0000, IMA wrote:
>
>> I'm buying one of these to go with an AMD 64 S939 processor. What I'm
>> not
>> sure of is can I use my 2 existing DDR 266 ram chips until I buy a set of
>> Dual Channel ram chips. It seems so from the MB Manual and the info I
>> have
>> off the site I'm buying it (ncix.com) but I'd really like to hear from
>> one
>> of you in the know.
>>
>> Not being familar with Dual Channel ram is it much better than regular?
>>
> No such thing as dual channel ram. It's just ram in dual channel mode to
> the controller. I think what you really want to know is if you can use
> your PC2100 (133MHz, DDR266) in the MB and the answer is yes as long as
> you don't try overclocking the FSB too much. This assumes that your board
> supports PC2100 ram, and I haven't heard of one that doesn't. Check MB
> specs.
>
> --
Hi Wes,

So what you're saying is dual channel ram is just ordinary ram in pairs of
two with a motherboard that supports it? Actually I broke down and bought
two sticks of DDR 400, the old ram will go with my existing AMD 2100+ to my
son.

Thanks for the advice, learnt quite a bit from your site. I'll be
overclocking my new equip once I get it in place next week.

IMA
March 19, 2005 5:14:39 AM

IMA wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.18.23.56.04.980553@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:54:38 +0000, IMA wrote:
> >
> >> I'm buying one of these to go with an AMD 64 S939 processor. What I'm
> >> not
> >> sure of is can I use my 2 existing DDR 266 ram chips until I buy a set of
> >> Dual Channel ram chips. It seems so from the MB Manual and the info I
> >> have
> >> off the site I'm buying it (ncix.com) but I'd really like to hear from
> >> one
> >> of you in the know.
> >>
> >> Not being familar with Dual Channel ram is it much better than regular?
> >>
> > No such thing as dual channel ram. It's just ram in dual channel mode to
> > the controller. I think what you really want to know is if you can use
> > your PC2100 (133MHz, DDR266) in the MB and the answer is yes as long as
> > you don't try overclocking the FSB too much. This assumes that your board
> > supports PC2100 ram, and I haven't heard of one that doesn't. Check MB
> > specs.
> >
> > --
> Hi Wes,
>
> So what you're saying is dual channel ram is just ordinary ram in pairs of
> two with a motherboard that supports it? Actually I broke down and bought
> two sticks of DDR 400, the old ram will go with my existing AMD 2100+ to my
> son.
>
> Thanks for the advice, learnt quite a bit from your site. I'll be
> overclocking my new equip once I get it in place next week.

They don't even have to be the same brand (but it helps). I have 512
PC3200 Samsung bought mid 2004 and 512 MB PC3200 OCZ bought in Jan. They
are running in dual channel.

</Tazz>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2005 5:25:23 AM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:13:47 +0000, IMA wrote:

> Gaming is most of what I do with my system. I broke down and ordered
> CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB KIT PC3200 DDR CAS2.5 2X512MB to go
> with. The old ram can go to my son's system.

I just love the way they like saying dual channel kit, when it's really
just 2 sticks of 512MB of the same ram.:-)