Update - Maxtor Hard drive

You may remeber me posting about which hard drive to choose. Maxtor or
Seagate. Well, wish I had picked the Seagate now.

I installed the SATA drive and ran maxblast to copy the contents of windows
across from my old drive, restarted and hey presto the infamous error "error

Please can anybody help? I'm at my witts end! Do I get the error because I'm
trying to copy everything including the MBR from a PATA to a SATA drive?

Thanks for any infomation

Dan
17 answers Last reply
More about update maxtor hard drive

    Have you set the primary boot device to the
    sata controller? --> BIOS

    Dan wrote:
    > You may remeber me posting about which hard drive to choose. Maxtor or
    > Seagate. Well, wish I had picked the Seagate now.
    >
    > I installed the SATA drive and ran maxblast to copy the contents of windows
    > across from my old drive, restarted and hey presto the infamous error "error
    >
    > Please can anybody help? I'm at my witts end! Do I get the error because I'm
    > trying to copy everything including the MBR from a PATA to a SATA drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any infomation
    >
    > Dan

    Also, I assume that you're using the newest version of Maxblast (v4 I
    believe) from Windows (not the bootable version)... then when you click
    on Set up drive, you also clicked on the box to copy the MBR.

    I've done this 4 times on ATA133 drives; never had a problem. Never
    done it on SATA drives, but maybe Hannes' suggestion will work.

    Oh yeah, one other really nice feature: after Maxblast sets up the new
    drive for you, it creates a *custom* set of instructions for you on what
    to do; right down to telling you where to plug in each drive, how to set
    the jumpers, etc, etc. Check out those instructions; if your new Maxtor
    is an SATA drive then Maxblast's instructions should tell you how to get
    it runnin'... I'm sure that copying from PATA to SATA is something that
    they've accounted for.....

    And if all else fails, format the new drive & try again ;-)

    JB

    Hannes Mautz wrote:
    > Have you set the primary boot device to the
    > sata controller? --> BIOS
    >

    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> You may remeber me posting about which hard drive to choose. Maxtor or
    >> Seagate. Well, wish I had picked the Seagate now.
    >>
    >> I installed the SATA drive and ran maxblast to copy the contents of
    >> windows across from my old drive, restarted and hey presto the
    >> infamous error "error loading o/s"
    >>
    >> Please can anybody help? I'm at my witts end! Do I get the error
    >> because I'm trying to copy everything including the MBR from a PATA to
    >> a SATA drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any infomation
    >>
    >> Dan

    Tell us what you did step by step.
    Partition first ?
    What you really need is Drive Image or Ghost 2003.
    And even then, restoring an OS partition to another drive is NEVER the same
    as a fresh Winstall.
    I recommend a clean sweep.

    Dan wrote:
    > You may remeber me posting about which hard drive to choose. Maxtor or
    > Seagate. Well, wish I had picked the Seagate now.
    >
    > I installed the SATA drive and ran maxblast to copy the contents of
    > windows across from my old drive, restarted and hey presto the
    > infamous error "error loading o/s"
    >
    > Please can anybody help? I'm at my witts end! Do I get the error
    > because I'm trying to copy everything including the MBR from a PATA
    > to a SATA drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any infomation
    >
    > Dan

    As far as I know, the type of drive (PATA or SATA) makes no difference as
    long as you copy the mbr. I do not think the problem is caused by choosing
    a Maxtor drive either! I have never used Maxblast, I purchased a copy of
    Acronis' MigrateEasy for doing this kind of upgrade and have not had a
    problem, ever. Keep at it and I'm sure you will get it to work.

    Still haven't got it running. I've tried using ghost. I still get the same
    error.

    I have even tried reinstalling windows on the drive. As soon as setup
    completes it gives the same error. I've tried changing the option in the
    bios from auto to large.

    The only option I see left is doing a low-level format.

    Can someone explain what you mean by setting the device in bios as the boot
    device. I've been in to the BIOS and the maxtor drive is set a SATA master.
    The machine will always try to boot from the drive over my western digital
    on IDE 133.

    Does anybody have any other device? Ive tried FIXMBR I feel like I've tried
    everything apart from low-level format. I'm beginning to really really hate
    computers!

    I'm about to do a low level format, so in about a years time when it has
    completed I'll let you know how it went.

    Dan

    I'm not in front of my home computer (on a computer at work) but I think
    that you'll need to change your boot sequence... right now it's probably
    something like Boot1: Floppy, Boot2: CDROM, Boot3: IDE0. But your HDD
    is no longer on IDE0 since you no longer have an IDE drive; you're using
    SATA... so you'll need to stick your SATA drive into the boot sequence
    somewhere. (Probably just where your old hard drive was). You can
    change the boot sequence in the BIOS. Exactly where you find the boot
    sequence stuff depends on your mobo (I looked back in some posts but
    didn't see you mention which board you're using). I think it's usually
    under Advanced BIOS Features or something, but of course I can't
    remember right now... anyways, I'd do that before messing around with a
    zero-fill format... you probably don't need to bother... the Maxtor
    Maxblast software works great for mirroring a drive... I just think that
    you don't have your board looking at your SATA drive anywhere for the
    boot info; it's just checking floppy, cdrom & ide drives.

    Good luck, let us know how you make out.
    JB

    dan wrote:
    > Still haven't got it running. I've tried using ghost. I still get the same
    > error.
    >
    > I have even tried reinstalling windows on the drive. As soon as setup
    > completes it gives the same error. I've tried changing the option in the
    > bios from auto to large.
    >
    > The only option I see left is doing a low-level format.
    >
    > Can someone explain what you mean by setting the device in bios as the boot
    > device. I've been in to the BIOS and the maxtor drive is set a SATA master.
    > The machine will always try to boot from the drive over my western digital
    > on IDE 133.
    >
    > Does anybody have any other device? Ive tried FIXMBR I feel like I've tried
    > everything apart from low-level format. I'm beginning to really really hate
    > computers!
    >
    > I'm about to do a low level format, so in about a years time when it has
    > completed I'll let you know how it went.
    >
    > Dan

    An interesting thing just happened. A disabled quick boot in the BIOS and
    now when it asks you which windows you would like to boot from, I select the
    Windows on the SATA it will boot. However if I unplug the PATA drive and
    just have the SATA it will say invalid boot disk. press enter.

    I'm feeling I'm getting closer lol. More research on google shows theres an
    compatability issue with DiamondMax 10 SATA drives and Asus A8N SLI (non
    deluxe verson)

    Dan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    You may need an updated BIOS. Make sure you've found and set all the BIOS
    options for SATA drives. Mine has a couple that aren't in the usual places.
    Check onboard devices and other bios options. Chipset drivers may need
    updating too.
    "dan" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > An interesting thing just happened. A disabled quick boot in the BIOS and
    > now when it asks you which windows you would like to boot from, I select
    the
    > Windows on the SATA it will boot. However if I unplug the PATA drive and
    > just have the SATA it will say invalid boot disk. press enter.
    >
    > I'm feeling I'm getting closer lol. More research on google shows theres
    an
    > compatability issue with DiamondMax 10 SATA drives and Asus A8N SLI (non
    > deluxe verson)
    >
    > Dan

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Yay, I finally fixed it somehow! I changed a few settings in the BIOS and
    messed around with the bootini and it finally would boot from the SATA drive
    after a clean reinstall.

    And what makes me even happier the noisiest hard drive ever made is now in
    my brothers computer! PATA Western digital 80Gb caviar. Boy does that whine.

    My advice to other people is do not buy a Diamondmax 9 or 10 hard drive if
    you using an Asus board with Nvidia SATA controller!

    Thanks to all who replied. People like you deserve medals ;)

    Dan
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Dan,

    Glad you finally got the problem all sorted out!

    JB

    Dan wrote:
    > Yay, I finally fixed it somehow! I changed a few settings in the BIOS and
    > messed around with the bootini and it finally would boot from the SATA drive
    > after a clean reinstall.
    >
    > And what makes me even happier the noisiest hard drive ever made is now in
    > my brothers computer! PATA Western digital 80Gb caviar. Boy does that whine.
    >
    > My advice to other people is do not buy a Diamondmax 9 or 10 hard drive if
    > you using an Asus board with Nvidia SATA controller!
    >
    > Thanks to all who replied. People like you deserve medals ;)
    >
    > Dan

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:20:35 -0800, "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote:

    >Yay, I finally fixed it somehow! I changed a few settings in the BIOS and
    >messed around with the bootini and it finally would boot from the SATA drive
    >after a clean reinstall.
    >
    >And what makes me even happier the noisiest hard drive ever made is now in
    >my brothers computer! PATA Western digital 80Gb caviar. Boy does that whine.
    >
    >My advice to other people is do not buy a Diamondmax 9 or 10 hard drive if
    >you using an Asus board with Nvidia SATA controller!
    >
    >Thanks to all who replied. People like you deserve medals ;)
    >
    >Dan

    I'd second that advice about not buying Maxtor, but for a different
    reason.

    I bought a 160Gb Maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA (6Y160M0) eighteen months ago.
    It worked fine on my NF7-S and for several weeks on my A8N-SLI deluxe
    (both nVidia SATA controllers) but when it died recently without warning I
    discovered that the Maxtor warranty expired just over ten months after I
    bought it from Dabs in the UK and their warranty is only for one year. No
    explanation for these short warranty periods despite several emails to
    Maxtor and Dabs.

    Tom
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >>My advice to other people is do not buy a Diamondmax 9 or 10 hard drive if
    >>you using an Asus board with Nvidia SATA controller!

    Your problems have absolutely nothing to do with the brand of
    your hard disk. You would have had the same problems with
    any other SATA drive.
    As you said you tweaked some BIOS settings and suddenly it
    worked. Thats nothing your disk is responsible for.

    > I'd second that advice about not buying Maxtor, but for a different
    > reason.
    > No
    > explanation for these short warranty periods despite several emails to
    > Maxtor and Dabs.

    Maxtor is giving a 3 year full guarantee for all it's drives,
    even five years for the MaxLine series.
    Dabs as your local dealer has to give you a two year
    warranty period by EU law.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Dan wrote:
    [...]
    > My advice to other people is do not buy a Diamondmax 9 or 10 hard
    > drive if you using an Asus board with Nvidia SATA controller!

    Umm, I very much doubt it has anything to do with the manufacturer of the
    drive. A Seagate or IBM or anything else would give you exactly the same
    problems (SATA drives, of course).

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

    Tom Joyce wrote:
    [...]
    > I'd second that advice about not buying Maxtor, but for a different
    > reason.
    >
    > I bought a 160Gb Maxtor Diamondmax 9 SATA (6Y160M0) eighteen months
    > ago. It worked fine on my NF7-S and for several weeks on my A8N-SLI
    > deluxe (both nVidia SATA controllers) but when it died recently
    > without warning I discovered that the Maxtor warranty expired just
    > over ten months after I bought it from Dabs in the UK and their
    > warranty is only for one year. No explanation for these short
    > warranty periods despite several emails to Maxtor and Dabs.

    Sadly, that's the way the business was going a couple of years ago. The
    whole hard drive business was going through a bit of a rough time and
    everyone was cutting off all the extras they could. The standard used to be
    3 years, but for a couple years it dropped to 1 year, with the only 3 years
    warranties being for the Caviar SE and Samsung drives. Fortunately, it's
    moving back to 3 years now, with all (that I've seen) SATA drives having 3
    years or longer (WD Raptor and all Seagates have 5 years). Maxtor and
    Seagate have 3 years on all drives, WD has 3 years on SE's and SATA drives
    (1 year on other PATA), not sure about the others.

    AFAIK, SCSI drives have had 5 year warranties for quite a while, and still
    do.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hannes Mautz wrote:
    >>> My advice to other people is do not buy a Diamondmax 9 or 10 hard
    >>> drive if you using an Asus board with Nvidia SATA controller!
    >
    > Your problems have absolutely nothing to do with the brand of
    > your hard disk. You would have had the same problems with
    > any other SATA drive.
    > As you said you tweaked some BIOS settings and suddenly it
    > worked. Thats nothing your disk is responsible for.
    >

    >> I'd second that advice about not buying Maxtor, but for a different
    >> reason.
    >> No
    >> explanation for these short warranty periods despite several emails
    >> to Maxtor and Dabs.
    >
    > Maxtor is giving a 3 year full guarantee for all it's drives,
    > even five years for the MaxLine series.
    > Dabs as your local dealer has to give you a two year
    > warranty period by EU law.

    I had a failed Maxtor at about 10 months old, bought from Ebuyer. They just
    direct you to Maxtor, who know your drive by serial number and operate a
    3-year warranty themselves.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 02:15:46 +0100, "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:

    >>> I'd second that advice about not buying Maxtor, but for a different
    >>> reason.
    >>> No explanation for these short warranty periods despite several emails
    >>> to Maxtor and Dabs.
    >>
    >> Maxtor is giving a 3 year full guarantee for all it's drives,
    >> even five years for the MaxLine series.
    >> Dabs as your local dealer has to give you a two year
    >> warranty period by EU law.
    >
    >I had a failed Maxtor at about 10 months old, bought from Ebuyer. They just
    >direct you to Maxtor, who know your drive by serial number and operate a
    >3-year warranty themselves.

    I just bought a pair of Western Digital drives (with a 3 year warranty)
    from Ebuyer. I would never buy Maxtor again. The 6Y160M0 was fine
    initially but failed after three days use. Maxtor recommended using their
    Powermax utility; this did the trick and the drive had no problems until
    it died a couple of weeks ago.

    Its serial number is Y41WX8ZE. Feeding this number to Maxtor's online
    warranty checker will show that the warranty expired on June 26 2004; I
    bought the drive from Dabs on August 7 2003, so a 10 month 19 day warranty
    from Maxtor and Dabs are sticking to their 1 year warranty.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:04:01 +0100, Tom Joyce <tjoyce@onetel.com>
    wrote:

    >>> Maxtor is giving a 3 year full guarantee for all it's drives,
    >>> even five years for the MaxLine series.
    >>> Dabs as your local dealer has to give you a two year
    >>> warranty period by EU law.
    >>
    >>I had a failed Maxtor at about 10 months old, bought from Ebuyer. They just
    >>direct you to Maxtor, who know your drive by serial number and operate a
    >>3-year warranty themselves.
    >
    >I just bought a pair of Western Digital drives (with a 3 year warranty)
    >from Ebuyer. I would never buy Maxtor again. The 6Y160M0 was fine
    >initially but failed after three days use. Maxtor recommended using their
    >Powermax utility; this did the trick and the drive had no problems until
    >it died a couple of weeks ago.
    >
    >Its serial number is Y41WX8ZE. Feeding this number to Maxtor's online
    >warranty checker will show that the warranty expired on June 26 2004; I
    >bought the drive from Dabs on August 7 2003, so a 10 month 19 day warranty
    >from Maxtor and Dabs are sticking to their 1 year warranty.

    I hear the newer nforce boards support on board Raid 5 without a raid
    card.

    This is the only way to go with the low life hard drives they make
    now.

AMD Hard Drives Maxtor Overclocking