AGP Aperture size

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2005 10:17:30 PM

hey all,

wondering what the AGP aperture size should be for my 128MB Asus V8440
GeForce4 Ti4400? I think it's set to 64MB right now, but I believe it
should be 128MB... not sure though... ?

JB

More about : agp aperture size

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2005 10:21:02 PM

(I've just read that AGP aperture size should be 1/2 of total system
memory size; I have 2x512MB sticks of PC3200... that doesn't mean I
should set my AGP aperture to 512MB does it?!?)

I ask because I've had some problems with system stability while running
video benchmarks like 3DMark03. I can run Prime95 for 24 hrs, but my
system seems to crash when intensively using the video card. I've
cranked my video card voltage to 1.8V, it's very well cooled (using the
Zalman ZM80D-HP dual heatpipe cooler with the ZM-OP1 optional fan), and
the AGP is locked @ 66 MHz.

Help.
JB

J B wrote:
> hey all,
>
> wondering what the AGP aperture size should be for my 128MB Asus V8440
> GeForce4 Ti4400? I think it's set to 64MB right now, but I believe it
> should be 128MB... not sure though... ?
>
> JB
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2005 10:47:16 PM

J B wrote:
> hey all,
>
> wondering what the AGP aperture size should be for my 128MB Asus V8440
> GeForce4 Ti4400? I think it's set to 64MB right now, but I believe it
> should be 128MB... not sure though... ?
>
> JB
AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video card's on-board
memory is running low. That means it will usually not impact your gaming
performance because developers are trying hard to not exceed the
on-board memory limits. The bigger your video memory, the smaller your
Aperture Size could be. However with later games requiring more and more
texture memory a good number seems to be 128MB Aperture Size for all
cards with 64 MB to 256 MB Video RAM. Setting the Aperture Size to HUGE
values will not increase performance because this merely sets the
maximum amount of physical memory that can be used. It only makes the
GART Table bigger because every 4K page has its own entry, no matter if
allocated or not. Setting the Aperture Size to too small values could
result in running out of available texture memory especially on a
low-mem video card. Try 128 MB and see how it works.

--
FRH
Anonymous

As long as it's not equal to your total system memory size, you're OK.
Equal sizing runs the risk of your video consuming all memory resources and
freezing the system.

!