Inconsistent Wireless Connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 1, 2005 7:11:15 PM

I am having a problem maintaining a connection wirelessly. I do not have any
problem finding a wireless network and I can connect to it fine. The problem
exists when, lets say I leave the computer for an extended period of time, I
come back and it says media disconnected. I do not know exactly how long it
takes for it to be come disconnected but I know that when I get home from
work or I wake up in the morning it will be disconnected. I go to my network
connections and disable the wireless card then re-enable it and it sees the
network just fine. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? At first I
was thinking that as part of the system power saving mode the computer was
turning off the NIC, but I looked into that and it was set to never turn off
and hibernation is turned off..

I am using a Belkin router (model #: F5D7230-4) I have two computers (both
using WinXP, one home and one pro) with the same problem. One of them is a
laptop using a built in wireless card and the other is a desktop with a
Belkin PCI wireless card. Now I think it must be something with the router
settings, but can not find what it could be.

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 2, 2005 6:57:41 PM

What version of the Windows XP operating system are you using? (ex: SP1 or
SP2)
What are the security settings of the access point? (ex: None, WEP, or
WPA-PSK)
What wireless adapters and exact driver versions are you using? (ex: Intel
2100 drv.1.2.0.56)
Does the access point terminate idle connections as a feature? (You will
probably have to contact Belkin for this information)

Without the information above, it will be very difficult to diagnose the
problem. However, with the information there is probably a solution.

I look forward to your response.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless