Inconsistent Wireless Connection

I am having a problem maintaining a connection wirelessly. I do not have any
problem finding a wireless network and I can connect to it fine. The problem
exists when, lets say I leave the computer for an extended period of time, I
come back and it says media disconnected. I do not know exactly how long it
takes for it to be come disconnected but I know that when I get home from
work or I wake up in the morning it will be disconnected. I go to my network
connections and disable the wireless card then re-enable it and it sees the
network just fine. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? At first I
was thinking that as part of the system power saving mode the computer was
turning off the NIC, but I looked into that and it was set to never turn off
and hibernation is turned off..

I am using a Belkin router (model #: F5D7230-4) I have two computers (both
using WinXP, one home and one pro) with the same problem. One of them is a
laptop using a built in wireless card and the other is a desktop with a
Belkin PCI wireless card. Now I think it must be something with the router
settings, but can not find what it could be.

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
1 answer Last reply
More about inconsistent wireless connection

    What version of the Windows XP operating system are you using? (ex: SP1 or
    SP2)
    What are the security settings of the access point? (ex: None, WEP, or
    WPA-PSK)
    What wireless adapters and exact driver versions are you using? (ex: Intel
    2100 drv.1.2.0.56)
    Does the access point terminate idle connections as a feature? (You will
    probably have to contact Belkin for this information)

    Without the information above, it will be very difficult to diagnose the
    problem. However, with the information there is probably a solution.

    I look forward to your response.

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    "markgocubs" <markgocubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am having a problem maintaining a connection wirelessly. I do not have
    > any
    > problem finding a wireless network and I can connect to it fine. The
    > problem
    > exists when, lets say I leave the computer for an extended period of time,
    > come back and it says media disconnected. I do not know exactly how long
    > it
    > takes for it to be come disconnected but I know that when I get home from
    > work or I wake up in the morning it will be disconnected. I go to my
    > network
    > connections and disable the wireless card then re-enable it and it sees
    > the
    > network just fine. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? At first
    > was thinking that as part of the system power saving mode the computer was
    > turning off the NIC, but I looked into that and it was set to never turn
    > off
    > and hibernation is turned off..
    >
    > I am using a Belkin router (model #: F5D7230-4) I have two computers (both
    > using WinXP, one home and one pro) with the same problem. One of them is a
    > laptop using a built in wireless card and the other is a desktop with a
    > Belkin PCI wireless card. Now I think it must be something with the router
    > settings, but can not find what it could be.
    >
    > Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!
    > Thanks,

Wireless Connection Wireless Networking