AGP Fast Write Capability: Enable or Disable?

hey,
another question; got an Asus V8440 Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB; should I
enable or disable AGP Fast Write Capability in the BIOS for my NF7-S
v2.0? I've had it enabled all this time... never thought to disable it,
but keep getting weird video card things happening...

JB

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"J B" <justin.bourneNOSPAM4ME@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hey,
> another question; got an Asus V8440 Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB; should I
> enable or disable AGP Fast Write Capability in the BIOS for my NF7-S
> v2.0? I've had it enabled all this time... never thought to disable it,
> but keep getting weird video card things happening...
>
> JB

Keep it enabled. there is a slight increase in performance with it enabled.

Thanks again Chuck - you're on the ball tonight!

Chuck wrote:
> "J B" <justin.bourneNOSPAM4ME@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>hey,
>>another question; got an Asus V8440 Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB; should I
>>enable or disable AGP Fast Write Capability in the BIOS for my NF7-S
>>v2.0? I've had it enabled all this time... never thought to disable it,
>>but keep getting weird video card things happening...
>>
>>JB
>

> Keep it enabled. there is a slight increase in performance with it enabled.

AGP Fast Write, is a well known cause of many
system instabilities and failures.
There is absolutely no increase in performance
in real world application (and games)

Just turn it off and be happy!

J B wrote:
> hey,
> another question; got an Asus V8440 Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB; should I
> enable or disable AGP Fast Write Capability in the BIOS for my NF7-S
> v2.0? I've had it enabled all this time... never thought to disable it,
> but keep getting weird video card things happening...
>
> JB

I kind of thought that, but disabling it didn't seem to fix any
problems... do you know of any references where this has actually been
tested & discussed?

thanks!
jb

Hannes Mautz wrote:
> AGP Fast Write, is a well known cause of many
> system instabilities and failures.
> There is absolutely no increase in performance
> in real world application (and games)
>
> Just turn it off and be happy!
>

> J B wrote:
>
>> hey,
>> another question; got an Asus V8440 Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB; should I
>> enable or disable AGP Fast Write Capability in the BIOS for my NF7-S
>> v2.0? I've had it enabled all this time... never thought to disable it,
>> but keep getting weird video card things happening...
>>
>> JB

My sources are all in German. ;)
But you can believe me, that there is no
performance gain.

It doens't have to be the reason for your
problems, but I would keep it deactivated
anyway.

What do you understand by "weird video card
things".
Are there Bluescreens while playing a game?
Are there strange colors or "flashes" during
3D scenes?
(Colors check VGA temperatures and clocks)
(flashes, often driver related)

> I kind of thought that, but disabling it didn't seem to fix any
> problems... do you know of any references where this has actually been
> tested & discussed?
>
> thanks!
> jb

By "weird video card things" I mean this: they start simple; for
instance vertical yellow lines around the screen.... the things crash,
and when I reboot I get odd coloured text in the POST screen (where
memory check etc is done)... enter BIOS, often have triangles & other
ascii shapes on every second column... really messes things up!
Anyways, I think things are running a little more stable now... switched
my RAM from DIMM 1&3 to DIMM 2&3 (still dual channel mode, but seems
betteR)... had to take out the video card to do this, so now I've
reseated ram & video card... maybe just doing that helped?

JB

Hannes Mautz wrote:
> My sources are all in German. ;)
> But you can believe me, that there is no
> performance gain.
>
> It doens't have to be the reason for your
> problems, but I would keep it deactivated
> anyway.
>
> What do you understand by "weird video card
> things".
> Are there Bluescreens while playing a game?
> Are there strange colors or "flashes" during
> 3D scenes?
> (Colors check VGA temperatures and clocks)
> (flashes, often driver related)
>

>> I kind of thought that, but disabling it didn't seem to fix any
>> problems... do you know of any references where this has actually been
>> tested & discussed?
>>
>> thanks!
>> jb

Sometimes it can happen that things just loosen up
a bit. Cleaning your case can also be a goog idea,
if there is too much dust in the heat sink.

The "weird behaviour" you described clearly points
to a Bios or hardware problem.
Especially that you get these problems during
game playing and that they persist after the reboot.

Try to clock down the GPU and memory of the graphiccard and
open your case to get some cool air in.
Especially this triangle errors und wrong colors
point to an instable VGA Ram. (you didn't OC it, did you?)

Nope, didn't OC my video card; it's AGP locked @ 66MHz. Got a really
nice Zalman dual heatpipe vga cooler too (ZM80D-HP).... so I'm not
entirely worried about temperature... I think maybe just re-seating the
video card might have helped.... dunno, it's a mystery to me... only
time will tell I guess.... I'm ind of worried to push things too far b/c
I don't want them to crash again, but at the same time I want to push
them so I know that things are OK and I won't have unexpected problems
down the road.... 3dmark03 was what was really pushing my Ti4400 and
making it crash... think I might run that again if I get brave...

JB

Hannes Mautz wrote:
> Sometimes it can happen that things just loosen up
> a bit. Cleaning your case can also be a goog idea,
> if there is too much dust in the heat sink.
>
> The "weird behaviour" you described clearly points
> to a Bios or hardware problem.
> Especially that you get these problems during
> game playing and that they persist after the reboot.
>
> Try to clock down the GPU and memory of the graphiccard and
> open your case to get some cool air in.
> Especially this triangle errors und wrong colors
> point to an instable VGA Ram. (you didn't OC it, did you?)

What size power supply and who is the vendor of the supply?

VC

> Nope, didn't OC my video card; it's AGP locked @ 66MHz. Got a really
> nice Zalman dual heatpipe vga cooler too (ZM80D-HP).... so I'm not
> entirely worried about temperature... I think maybe just re-seating the
> video card might have helped.... dunno, it's a mystery to me... only
> time will tell I guess.... I'm ind of worried to push things too far b/c
> I don't want them to crash again, but at the same time I want to push
> them so I know that things are OK and I won't have unexpected problems
> down the road.... 3dmark03 was what was really pushing my Ti4400 and
> making it crash... think I might run that again if I get brave...
>
> JB
>
> Hannes Mautz wrote:
> > Sometimes it can happen that things just loosen up
> > a bit. Cleaning your case can also be a goog idea,
> > if there is too much dust in the heat sink.
> >
> > The "weird behaviour" you described clearly points
> > to a Bios or hardware problem.
> > Especially that you get these problems during
> > game playing and that they persist after the reboot.
> >
> > Try to clock down the GPU and memory of the graphiccard and
> > open your case to get some cool air in.
> > Especially this triangle errors und wrong colors
> > point to an instable VGA Ram. (you didn't OC it, did you?)

> Nope, didn't OC my video card; it's AGP locked @ 66MHz. Got a really
> nice Zalman dual heatpipe vga cooler too (ZM80D-HP)

These passive coolers are really some cool stuff and I
own one on my own, but they are dependant on a good
airflow in the case.
I am a silent "freak" and like to push my hardware
at the same time (still with air cooling)
I had to put a PAPST 8412NGML Fan (8cm) at the side of
the passive coolers. Otherwise it got extremely hot.

Combined with a fan controller this is an absolutely
silent solution and you hear absolutely nothing of it.
(Tower with noise damping mats)

For your pretty old card this shouldn't be necessary,
just check if you can burn your fingers at the heat
sink after a shooter session ;)

You're describing heat issues - the surefire, quickest way to kill a card.
Possible bad contact between chips and cooler - or just plain lack of
airflow.
Sort it out or you'll soon be buying a new one.

J B wrote:
> Nope, didn't OC my video card; it's AGP locked @ 66MHz. Got a really
> nice Zalman dual heatpipe vga cooler too (ZM80D-HP).... so I'm not
> entirely worried about temperature... I think maybe just re-seating
> the video card might have helped.... dunno, it's a mystery to me...
> only time will tell I guess.... I'm ind of worried to push things too
> far b/c I don't want them to crash again, but at the same time I want
> to push them so I know that things are OK and I won't have unexpected
> problems down the road.... 3dmark03 was what was really pushing my
> Ti4400 and making it crash... think I might run that again if I get
> brave...
>
> JB
>
> Hannes Mautz wrote:
>> Sometimes it can happen that things just loosen up
>> a bit. Cleaning your case can also be a goog idea,
>> if there is too much dust in the heat sink.
>>
>> The "weird behaviour" you described clearly points
>> to a Bios or hardware problem.
>> Especially that you get these problems during
>> game playing and that they persist after the reboot.
>>
>> Try to clock down the GPU and memory of the graphiccard and
>> open your case to get some cool air in.
>> Especially this triangle errors und wrong colors
>> point to an instable VGA Ram. (you didn't OC it, did you?)

400W Seasonic Super Tornado

VC wrote:
> What size power supply and who is the vendor of the supply?
>
> VC
>

> "J B" <justin.bourneNOSPAM4ME@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Nope, didn't OC my video card; it's AGP locked @ 66MHz. Got a really
>>nice Zalman dual heatpipe vga cooler too (ZM80D-HP).... so I'm not
>>entirely worried about temperature... I think maybe just re-seating the
>>video card might have helped.... dunno, it's a mystery to me... only
>>time will tell I guess.... I'm ind of worried to push things too far b/c
>>I don't want them to crash again, but at the same time I want to push
>>them so I know that things are OK and I won't have unexpected problems
>>down the road.... 3dmark03 was what was really pushing my Ti4400 and
>>making it crash... think I might run that again if I get brave...
>>
>>JB
>>
>>Hannes Mautz wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes it can happen that things just loosen up
>>>a bit. Cleaning your case can also be a goog idea,
>>>if there is too much dust in the heat sink.
>>>
>>>The "weird behaviour" you described clearly points
>>>to a Bios or hardware problem.
>>>Especially that you get these problems during
>>>game playing and that they persist after the reboot.
>>>
>>>Try to clock down the GPU and memory of the graphiccard and
>>>open your case to get some cool air in.
>>>Especially this triangle errors und wrong colors
>>>point to an instable VGA Ram. (you didn't OC it, did you?)

try this little calculator to see if your power supply is adequate:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Remember you should only use about 70% of rated peak ..... also check to see
if your card's 400W is the peak wattage and check to see what amperage it
delivers on the 12V rail..... should be at least 16amps ....

VC