OCing an AMD 64 3000 (s939) on a GA K8NF-9

Ive been trying to get my cpu up from the standard 1800mhz to a solid
2ghz but it will not overclock anything higher than 1890, ive heard
of lots of others with the same board getting 2.2ghz and above on
this so why on earth am i having no luck? using the software that
comes with the board for overclocking even crashes the system when it
gets to that mark.

System specs:

AMD 64 3000 (s939) winchester .090
GA K8NF-9
1GB Corsair 3200XL TwinX Platinum
ATI X700 Pro 256mb
WDC 200gb hdd
Xp Pro sp1

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:49:15 +0000, Geldethi wrote:

> Ive been trying to get my cpu up from the standard 1800mhz to a solid
> 2ghz but it will not overclock anything higher than 1890, ive heard
> of lots of others with the same board getting 2.2ghz and above on
> this so why on earth am i having no luck? using the software that
> comes with the board for overclocking even crashes the system when it
> gets to that mark.
>
> AMD 64 3000 (s939) winchester .090
> GA K8NF-9
> 1GB Corsair 3200XL TwinX Platinum

Set FSB to 266, set ram bus to 133Mhz, Set Ht multiplier to 4x. May need
to raise cpu voltage. Boot at 2400Mhz. If all you want is 2000MHz, then
set FSB to 222Mhz set ram bus to 166Mhz, Set Ht multiplier to 4x.
Shouldn't need to raise cpu voltage for this speed.

geld@smakibbfb.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Geldethi) wrote:

>Ive been trying to get my cpu up from the standard 1800mhz to a solid
>2ghz but it will not overclock anything higher than 1890, ive heard
>of lots of others with the same board getting 2.2ghz and above on
>this so why on earth am i having no luck? using the software that
>comes with the board for overclocking even crashes the system when it
>gets to that mark.
>
>System specs:
>
>AMD 64 3000 (s939) winchester .090
>GA K8NF-9
>1GB Corsair 3200XL TwinX Platinum
>ATI X700 Pro 256mb
>WDC 200gb hdd
>Xp Pro sp1

I use a Winchester 3000+ in my A8N-SLI at 9*289 with 1.525vcore, Prime95
stable.

The CPU multiplier will do 9* or lower, so you need to overclock by
raising the HTT. I lock the PCI bus at 33MHz but there is no precise
control for the memory bus. If your BIOS has a setting for maximum RAM
speeds this works relative to a default PC3200 setting, so with settings
of 9*200 the CPU will run at 1800MHz and PC3200 memory will run at 400MHz
in 1:1 ratio.

The problem comes when you begin to raise the HTT. To reach 2200MHz you
would use 9*244 and experimentally raise the vcore. At this point your
memory is running (or not) at 244MHz with the 1:1 400MHz setting. You may
be able to relax memory timings and raise the dram voltage. If this
doesn't work the next move is to set the max memory speed to 266MHz which
is effectively a 3:2 ratio so the memory would run underclocked at 325MHz.

At 289MHz HTT my Mushkin PC3500 L2 is running at 385MHz but the memory
bandwidth is better than if I use 1:1 and slack memory timings with a 2T
command rate.

Regards,
Tom

well damn it actually worked for once lol, 2ghz running fine, might
try 2200 when the new cooler arrives next week thanks :)

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:29:56 +0000, Geldethi wrote:

> well damn it actually worked for once lol, 2ghz running fine, might
> try 2200 when the new cooler arrives next week thanks :)

You shouldn't need a new cooler. The stock K8 cooler is plenty good enough
to run the cpu at max speed, assuming you have adequate case cooling.
Raising the cpu speed doesn't have a great effect on cpu temps. Raising
voltages does, but I've run mine at 1.7V with the stock cooler and it's
not a problem. Of course a better cooler never hurts.:)

Ive a thermaltake xaser III super tower , new cooler is more for noise
reduction, heh, can handle all current amd 64's so should be good,
overclocked to 2ghz and 2.2ghz but the only way that works on this mb
for me is changing the mem speed lower, overcall there isnt any real
performance boost when overclocked due to the lower mem speeds, might
just say screw it and get a better MB and/or cpu heh

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:29:56 +0000, Geldethi wrote:
>
>> well damn it actually worked for once lol, 2ghz running fine, might
>> try 2200 when the new cooler arrives next week thanks :)
>
> You shouldn't need a new cooler. The stock K8 cooler is plenty good enough
> to run the cpu at max speed, assuming you have adequate case cooling.
> Raising the cpu speed doesn't have a great effect on cpu temps. Raising
> voltages does, but I've run mine at 1.7V with the stock cooler and it's
> not a problem. Of course a better cooler never hurts.:)

I'd agree on the stock cooler - I've got my 3000+ at HTT 280 - gives about
2.5MHz, and thats at 1.55 volts (Asus A8V and Kingmax DDR500, BTW). It idles
sub 40 deg C and tops out at about 60 deg C when doing heavy-duty avi
recoding for long periods.

Pete