Must have apps ...

July 29, 2004 4:14:49 AM

really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love it.
curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps... preferably
freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.

are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?

add-ins, etc...

input appreciated

More about : apps

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 4:14:50 AM

For wired/wireless network connection troubleshooting...

http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Roger Conroy" <rjconroy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love it.
> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps... preferably
> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.
>
> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?
>
> add-ins, etc...
>
> input appreciated

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 4:14:50 AM

There are plenty of programs that I have on my ppc's but most of them are
not freeware. Resco File explorer (http://resco-net.com) is great and
Pocket Plus (www.spbsoftwarehouse.com) is one of the first programs I
install on a device. Gsplayer (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/) is
a great freeware player for mp3's, ogg, and live365/shoutcast stations. For
telephony I use Xten's X-pro (www.xten.net) with vonage, free world dialup
and stanaphone and I also have skype installed but I don't use it much.
There's also Pocket Tv (www.pockettv.com) a great free mpeg video player and
Sprite backup (www.spritesoftware.com) is a must have although it's not free
it is definately worth it. Qusnetsoft's newsreader
(http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=13869) is just great for
keeping up with newsgroup activities. Hope this helps.

rights...

"Roger Conroy" <rjconroy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love
> it.
> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps... preferably
> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.
>
> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?
>
> add-ins, etc...
>
> input appreciated

July 29, 2004 4:14:51 AM

I don't know how I forgot these on my list, I use them just about everyday.
Thanks Al.

rights...

> For wired/wireless network connection troubleshooting...
>
> http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
> http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Roger Conroy" <rjconroy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love
>> it.
>> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps...
>> preferably
>> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.
>>
>> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?
>>
>> add-ins, etc...
>>
>> input appreciated

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:13:09 AM

And for when you sitting on the couch: TV remote
controller (pdawin.com). Able to use pronto pro config
files and such. Can Learn any command from your remotes.
Can download or manual enter descrete power codes also. I
still run the old 3.1 version so I don't have the new
features (full screen mode being one of them I think)

John B

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:18:46 AM

I also have to add Calendar+ for multi-day appointments on your Today screen...

http://www.mohairsofa.com/Default.aspx/document/10

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Roger Conroy" <rjconroy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love it.
> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps... preferably
> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.
>
> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?
>
> add-ins, etc...
>
> input appreciated

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:57:35 AM

Roger Conroy wrote:
> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series...
> love it. curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC
> apps... preferably freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.

I currently use these with my iPaq h5550:

Multi IE ( http://www.multiie.info/ ): a great add-on that fixes some of the
worst limitations of Pocket IE. (Opera for Pocket PC is still on my wish
list....)

PocketSkype (http://www.skype.com/download_pda.html ): VoIP calls to my
friends over Wi-Fi.

Clearvue Suite (http://www.westtek.com/ppc.htm): this wonderful application
opens all the MS Office and PDF documents from my corporate webmail.

Vxutil Personal (http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html): the most common
TCP/IP network tools, this has been helpful when resolving network problems.

RealOne Player for PocketPC (http://www.realnetworks.com/mobile/): I watch
for example national news broadcasts over GPRS. This application would be a
lot more useful if RealNetworks fixed the issues with 1:1 or many:1 type NAT
configurations. Currently I can't get it working on my home / work Wi-Fi
networks or Wi-Fi hotspots.

Magic SS (http://www.louterrailloune.com/magicss.html): a simple and
trustworthy screen capture application. I write about PPC hardware and
software, so this is almost an everyday tool. It's also useful for tutorials
etc.

And my friend loves this one:

Agile Messenger (http://www.agilemobile.com/agile_messenger.html): a
multi-service instant messaging application that supports AIM, ICQ, MSN,
Yahoo and Wireless Village systems.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:14:49 +0200, Roger Conroy wrote
(in article <ZjXNc.1769$NM5.209@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>):

> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love it.
> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps... preferably
> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.

Next to everything already mentioned, I still want to plug
nPOPw, a POP3 client that seems awkward at first, but gives you
tons of control over the contents on your server.
(http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/).

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Here are my must have apps/utils/today plugins in no particular order:

- Calander+ (freeware)
- Vbirthday Gold (Shareware)
- Qusnetsoft Newsreader (freeware)
- Resco explorer (Shareware)
- Wisbar Advance (freeware)
- Pocket Notepad (freeware)
- TodaysInfo (freeware)
- PIE Plus (Shareware)
- JGUI MyCalander (freeware)
- cLaunch (freeware)
- HTTPMail Provider (Shareware)
- Wakeup tweak (freeware)
- File Dialog changer (freeware)
- Cabinstl utity (freeware)

Please let me know if anyone needs any additional info (URL, description,
etc) on any of these products.

> "Roger Conroy" <rjconroy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:ZjXNc.
> 1769$NM5.209@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
>> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love
>> it.
>> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps...
>> preferably
>> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.

>> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?

>> add-ins, etc...

>> input appreciated
July 29, 2004 4:07:32 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned CityTime yet
(http://www.codecity.net/) and there's of course Conversions in Hand, best
conversion program I've found so far: converts British lady shoesizes to
Fahrenheit, and miles per gallon to centimeters.
http://www.burroak.on.ca

Also, AcroReader from Adobe. Although the software is a piece of junk and
after 3 years still in version 1.0, and it doesn't open Adobe E-books
(BEWARE, BEWARE!), just regulare PDF files.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:07:38 PM

I think a personal time management software is must have too.
TimeMAX (www.synerwork.com)

"Roger Conroy" <rjconroy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series... love
it.
> curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC apps... preferably
> freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.
>
> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?
>
> add-ins, etc...
>
> input appreciated

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:06:57 AM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:07:32 +0200, René wrote
(in article <8M5Oc.266$2w4.78@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>):

> I can't believe nobody has mentioned CityTime yet
> (http://www.codecity.net/) and there's of course Conversions in Hand, best
> conversion program I've found so far: converts British lady shoesizes to
> Fahrenheit, and miles per gallon to centimeters.
> http://www.burroak.on.ca

Or use WorldMate (http://www.mobimate.com), which does both a
worldclock, an exchange rate, weather service, converions, etc.,
all in one program. It syncs echange rates and weather forecast
through any internet connection, also through your desktops
connection when performing an Activesync.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
July 30, 2004 12:06:58 AM

MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> Or use WorldMate (http://www.mobimate.com),
> all in one program.

I tried it out, didn't like the interface, nor am I a friend of
"all-in-one" programs.

--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.

Roger Conroy wrote:
> really only now starting to really utilize my IPaq..5455 series...
> love it. curious what you guys feel are the "must have" pocketPC
> apps... preferably freeware, but reasonable cost is ok as well.
>
> are there any telephony apps theat are worth it ?
>
> add-ins, etc...
>
> input appreciated

Calendar+
Wisbar
Tom Tom 3

--
Brett
Anonymous

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:07:14 +0200, René wrote
(in article <CVbOc.21817$KN3.16611@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>):

> I tried it out, didn't like the interface, nor am I a friend of
> "all-in-one" programs.

Well... I do like the programs you mentioned, but personally I
prefer the less clutter an all-in-one gives me.

So I guess it's a good thing there's a choice, and it's a good
thing that the original poster can learn from this thread that
he gets something to choose from.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
August 4, 2004 9:54:13 PM

I've tried out Pocket Plus after reading this and I like it so far. have a
question though. Does anybody have problem with it? Like hanging? I found
that after installing this (and GPRS Monitor and Full Screen Keyboard, all
from spb software, my PPC hangs once in a while. I think it has something
to do with the add-in features of Pocket Plus for PIE and File Explorer.

I'm trying it without these add-in features and so far, hvn't hang on me
yet. But the features are nice.

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:o xoGj2QdEHA.3308@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

!