HP 5510 print-out not straight

Hi,

About three month ago I bought the HP 5510 all-in-one printer. It's really a
nice compact multi-functional printer doing everything one would expect.
There is one big problem though: the print-out isn't printed straight on
paper. What I mean is the left border is getting smaller further down the
page; similar the right border is getting larger.

When printing just a few lines of text, all is fine because you don't see
it. But when printing a full page of text you immediately notice it, not to
speak about printing e.g. drawings or pictures.

I've tried *everything*. From switching to another type of paper to
resetting the printer, recalibrating, checking the paper transport
mechanism, etc. The problem even occurs when printing a self-test page.
Basically this happens with all actions: printing, copying and self-test
reports.

One technician at HP support taught me a really nice method to see is the
printer is printing straight. Just print a self-test report. On the
print-out you'll notice four colored bars, some info on the printer's serial
number and firmware. You'll also find some T-shaped markers on the edges of
the paper. The printer marks the printable area with these T-shaped markers.
Now, to see if the printer is printing straight, fold the page in half so
that the top and bottom markers are exactly on top of each other. As you'll
notice the top marker has one horizontal line and two vertical lines. The
bottom marker has one horizontal line and one vertical line. The vertical
line of the bottom marker should be between the two vertical lines of the
top marker. If this is not the case, the printer doesn't produce a straight
print-out. In my case the vertical line on the bottom marker is about 6
millimetres away from the one on the top marker!

After three months of hanging on the phone with HP support I'm a bit
frustrated about this problem. The printer has already been replaced twice.
The third one is shipping in this week. My guess is I'm not really THAT
unlucky, but this model printer is just not producing a straight print-out.

Did or is anyone else experiencing this problem too?

Regards,

Gershon Janssen

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Have you checked the paper guides to make sure they're almost tight against
the paper stack in the supply tray? If that doesn't help, try putting a
small shim under one leg of the printer <grin>

Don

"Gershon Janssen" <gershon@home.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> About three month ago I bought the HP 5510 all-in-one printer. It's really
> nice compact multi-functional printer doing everything one would expect.
> There is one big problem though: the print-out isn't printed straight on
> paper. What I mean is the left border is getting smaller further down the
> page; similar the right border is getting larger.
>
> When printing just a few lines of text, all is fine because you don't see
> it. But when printing a full page of text you immediately notice it, not
> speak about printing e.g. drawings or pictures.
>
> I've tried *everything*. From switching to another type of paper to
> resetting the printer, recalibrating, checking the paper transport
> mechanism, etc. The problem even occurs when printing a self-test page.
> Basically this happens with all actions: printing, copying and self-test
> reports.
>
> One technician at HP support taught me a really nice method to see is the
> printer is printing straight. Just print a self-test report. On the
> print-out you'll notice four colored bars, some info on the printer's
serial
> number and firmware. You'll also find some T-shaped markers on the edges
of
> the paper. The printer marks the printable area with these T-shaped
markers.
> Now, to see if the printer is printing straight, fold the page in half so
> that the top and bottom markers are exactly on top of each other. As
you'll
> notice the top marker has one horizontal line and two vertical lines. The
> bottom marker has one horizontal line and one vertical line. The vertical
> line of the bottom marker should be between the two vertical lines of the
> top marker. If this is not the case, the printer doesn't produce a
straight
> print-out. In my case the vertical line on the bottom marker is about 6
> millimetres away from the one on the top marker!
>
> After three months of hanging on the phone with HP support I'm a bit
> frustrated about this problem. The printer has already been replaced
twice.
> The third one is shipping in this week. My guess is I'm not really THAT
> unlucky, but this model printer is just not producing a straight
print-out.

> Did or is anyone else experiencing this problem too?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gershon Janssen

Don,

Yes! Checking the paper guides was one of the first things I did!

Thanks for the shim tip! If I'm really getting desperate, I'll give it a
shot.

Regards,

Gershon Janssen

"Don" <nospam@please.gov> schreef in bericht
> [...]
The
> > bottom marker has one horizontal line and one vertical line. The
vertical
> > line of the bottom marker should be between the two vertical lines of
the
> > top marker. If this is not the case, the printer doesn't produce a
> straight
> > print-out. In my case the vertical line on the bottom marker is about 6
> > millimetres away from the one on the top marker!
> >
> > After three months of hanging on the phone with HP support I'm a bit
> > frustrated about this problem. The printer has already been replaced
> twice.
> > The third one is shipping in this week. My guess is I'm not really THAT
> > unlucky, but this model printer is just not producing a straight
> print-out.
> >
> > Did or is anyone else experiencing this problem too?

Print skew has been a problem with HP ink jets at least as far back as
my circa 1998 HP 890C. While I never could get rid of the skew, I did
notice that it was worse the more the paper tray was filled.

I have had my 5510 about two months and I have not had that problem. I
have printed a number of maps and other graphic images and the
enclosing rectangle edges are always parallel to the page edge. Text
also aligns correctly. I print on Quicken checks and the text does not
slope from one side to the other.

This is puzzling since you have gone through two printers now. Sounds
like a production batch problem. Does the paper exit at an angle? Or
is the paper straight and the printer is printing with the skew?

The only issue with my 5510 is that the lighted Copy button has gotten
quite dim. But everything works fine.

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 01:35:13 +0200, "Gershon Janssen" <gershon@home.nl>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>About three month ago I bought the HP 5510 all-in-one printer. It's really a
>nice compact multi-functional printer doing everything one would expect.
>There is one big problem though: the print-out isn't printed straight on
>paper. What I mean is the left border is getting smaller further down the
>page; similar the right border is getting larger.
>
>When printing just a few lines of text, all is fine because you don't see
>it. But when printing a full page of text you immediately notice it, not to
>speak about printing e.g. drawings or pictures.
>
>I've tried *everything*. From switching to another type of paper to
>resetting the printer, recalibrating, checking the paper transport
>mechanism, etc. The problem even occurs when printing a self-test page.
>Basically this happens with all actions: printing, copying and self-test
>reports.
>
>One technician at HP support taught me a really nice method to see is the
>printer is printing straight. Just print a self-test report. On the
>print-out you'll notice four colored bars, some info on the printer's serial
>number and firmware. You'll also find some T-shaped markers on the edges of
>the paper. The printer marks the printable area with these T-shaped markers.
>Now, to see if the printer is printing straight, fold the page in half so
>that the top and bottom markers are exactly on top of each other. As you'll
>notice the top marker has one horizontal line and two vertical lines. The
>bottom marker has one horizontal line and one vertical line. The vertical
>line of the bottom marker should be between the two vertical lines of the
>top marker. If this is not the case, the printer doesn't produce a straight
>print-out. In my case the vertical line on the bottom marker is about 6
>millimetres away from the one on the top marker!
>
>After three months of hanging on the phone with HP support I'm a bit
>frustrated about this problem. The printer has already been replaced twice.
>The third one is shipping in this week. My guess is I'm not really THAT
>unlucky, but this model printer is just not producing a straight print-out.
>
>Did or is anyone else experiencing this problem too?
>
>Regards,
>
>Gershon Janssen

jt117

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Ive got exactly the same problem and mine is effectively brand new! It seems to do okay on A4 but as soon as try to use a smaller paper size it just cant handle it and prints at an angle. Its very frustrating.

rohit_kakra

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Well guys i had a brand new HP Printer as well and i was facing the same exact situationg.... but there is a simple thing that worked for me... when i was installing the printer and was putting the pages down for print the platform where you put the pages have two strips on the sides which you normally have to move fa apart in order for the pages to go in....make sure that those strips are tightly aligned with the paper and there is no space in between the paper and the strip on both the sides..... this helps the paper to be in the place when it is printing which in turn helps to print straight on the page and not in an angle....
Thanks guys
Give it a shot

Reddragon_39

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I had the same problem and have found a fix. In my case the paper feeder arms must be misaligned. I noticed that the paper in the tray wasn't sitting straight when the arms were tight in against the paper. My fix is put the paper in the tray, make sure the top of the paper is parallell with the edge of the feeder tray and do not push in the feeder arms. Prints perfectly now. Ridiculous that have to do this but at least I'm happy now.