NF7-S/Mobile 2600+ Strange BIOS/temp issue

Hi,

Still tying to bring my NF7-S/Mobile 2600+ up to speed and started to
experiment with BIOSes. Only tried 2 now, but found something very
strange.

With all parameters being the same, one BIOS clears Prime, but also
runs much higher CPU temps.

I did 11x194 at Vcore 1,65 (being 1,568-1,552), all other voltages
standard, same room temp.
Overall power use was 124 watt.
Power use and voltages were exactly the same, running both BIOS 27 an
BIOS D1.0 (which I found at
http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/downloads.htm )

The differences are (temps in celsius):

- The 27 BIOS runs Prime just over 4 hours max. Case 25, CPU 42 degree
- The D1.0 BIOS runs Prime OK, case temp staying 25, but the CPU gets
to 49
degree

I don't understand: how can temps get up so much, while overall power
use is the same and Vcore variations are the same also (indicating the
same load for the PSU)? The extra heat has to come from somewhere ...
It could be one of the BIOSes reads CPU temp wrong, but I don't think
so (?)
The only logical explanation I can think of is the D1.0 BIOS stresses
the CPU more. But how can that be while power consumption is the same
and it runs even more stable?!
And my problem with this: D1.0 runs stable at this speed, but I can't
go up much, because of CPU temp :-/

Anyone else seen this?

Anyway, back to getting a good BIOS:
I've read a lot about BIOS issues posted in 2003, SATA drives being
corrupted etc. I'm not using SATA drives, switched off in BIOS.

Are there still major issues with NF7-S BIOSes?
Is there some consensus about good and bad ones?

Thanks,
Boyd Noorda

Uzytkownik "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> napisal:

> [...]
> Anyway, back to getting a good BIOS:
> I've read a lot about BIOS issues posted in 2003, SATA drives being
> corrupted etc. I'm not using SATA drives, switched off in BIOS.
>
> Are there still major issues with NF7-S BIOSes?
> Is there some consensus about good and bad ones?

Your 'problem' is common on NF7(s) MB
it's because the MB doesn;t exactly show the temperatures, ex after reboot
they are higher than they were just before the reboot, next ex my MB shows
my case temp about 23* which is less than i have in my room - impossible
the general tendency is to restart and "add" +5*C to the temp to get the
real one

next, if U plan to o/c your CPU switch to modified bios ex
http://www.tictac.katrourke.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=6
tic tac's are good idea (so are merlin's bioses), but be sure to read about
the multiplier issue as u won't be able to get back to version below 18? (i
don't remember now) after flashing with a bios version 22
next, read a bit about the serial ata - it's the matter of bios and next,
exact drivers for this bios which won't crash, if u don't use it, just leave
it :)

u should get at lest 200x11 :) my 2500+ is @3200+ now and it was very
unlucky one... i have 1.825V sic! :| but it is rock stable...
remember to set mem in a proper way and to have good PSU, u may try mem
asynchro only to look what your cpu is like, but u should tend to make id
synchro as it is noticably faster...

btw
http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=da6b2f0f5f1153898c359985e53bf953&forumid=26
:)

regards

ur setup sounds sweet to coin a phrase, u got any benchies to show us wow'ed
onlookers?

"Crazy John" <dont@likespam.pl> wrote in message
> Uzytkownik "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> napisal:
>
>> [...]
>> Anyway, back to getting a good BIOS:
>> I've read a lot about BIOS issues posted in 2003, SATA drives being
>> corrupted etc. I'm not using SATA drives, switched off in BIOS.
>>
>> Are there still major issues with NF7-S BIOSes?
>> Is there some consensus about good and bad ones?
>
> Your 'problem' is common on NF7(s) MB
> it's because the MB doesn;t exactly show the temperatures, ex after reboot
> they are higher than they were just before the reboot, next ex my MB shows
> my case temp about 23* which is less than i have in my room - impossible
> the general tendency is to restart and "add" +5*C to the temp to get the
> real one
>
> next, if U plan to o/c your CPU switch to modified bios ex
> http://www.tictac.katrourke.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=6
> tic tac's are good idea (so are merlin's bioses), but be sure to read
> about the multiplier issue as u won't be able to get back to version below
> 18? (i don't remember now) after flashing with a bios version 22
> next, read a bit about the serial ata - it's the matter of bios and next,
> exact drivers for this bios which won't crash, if u don't use it, just
> leave it :)
>
> u should get at lest 200x11 :) my 2500+ is @3200+ now and it was very
> unlucky one... i have 1.825V sic! :| but it is rock stable...
> remember to set mem in a proper way and to have good PSU, u may try mem
> asynchro only to look what your cpu is like, but u should tend to make id
> synchro as it is noticably faster...
>

> btw
> http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=da6b2f0f5f1153898c359985e53bf953&forumid=26
> :)
>
> regards

"Crazy John" <dont@likespam.pl> wrote in message news:<d33qv9$bpt$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>...

> Your 'problem' is common on NF7(s) MB
> it's because the MB doesn;t exactly show the temperatures, ex after reboot
> they are higher than they were just before the reboot, next ex my MB shows
> my case temp about 23* which is less than i have in my room - impossible
> the general tendency is to restart and "add" +5*C to the temp to get the
> real one

Could be, did not check that yet. But never had below room temps in my
case :)
But looking back in my notes (I did a lot of runs, reboots and cold
boots with both BIOSes), it's clear the D1.0 BIOS runs all have higher
CPU temps than the D27 runs.

> next, if U plan to o/c your CPU switch to modified bios ex
> http://www.tictac.katrourke.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=6
> tic tac's are good idea (so are merlin's bioses), but be sure to read about
> the multiplier issue as u won't be able to get back to version below 18? (i
> don't remember now) after flashing with a bios version 22
> next, read a bit about the serial ata - it's the matter of bios and next,
> exact drivers for this bios which won't crash, if u don't use it, just leave
> it :)

As said, no SATA here. But are you saying: after using a Tictac BIOS
you can't go back to a BIOS below 18? I know, you're not sure, but is
that about the number or about the issue not being able to flash a
older BIOS?

> u should get at lest 200x11 :) my 2500+ is @3200+ now and it was very
> unlucky one... i have 1.825V sic! :| but it is rock stable...
> remember to set mem in a proper way and to have good PSU, u may try mem
> asynchro only to look what your cpu is like, but u should tend to make id
> synchro as it is noticably faster...

I'm not looking for a max. overclock yet, I think I can't go very high
with my PSU. It came with my Aopen H600A case, 350 watt, but 'should
be' very efficient and OK for even a Pentium 3,6Ghz. But already
thinking about a Zalman ZM400B-APS
It strikes me however my Kingston PC3200 Value Ram (2x512MB in dual
channel) does not run 200MHz.

Thanks,
Boyd Noorda

U¿ytkownik "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> napisa³:

> ur setup sounds sweet to coin a phrase, u got any benchies to show us
> wow'ed onlookers?

are u talking to me? ;)

don't use slang, write normally please :) i'm not a native speaker and it
took me some time to understand...

anyway i've got only this:
http://www.cjs.prv.pl/pc
and as i see this -> http://members.lycos.co.uk/matfiztopola/9500/ doesn't
work...

it's quite old, the CPUz screens show 1.8V which wasn't rock stable, but my
1.825 is...

either you are doubting Thomas or you aren't knowledgeable about this...

trust me i know what i'm saying :)

sorry, i'm talking to you, i was just wondering if you had any benchmarks of
your system to "show off", it looks pretty good so i was interested.
> U¿ytkownik "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> napisa³:
>
>> ur setup sounds sweet to coin a phrase, u got any benchies to show us
>> wow'ed onlookers?
>
> are u talking to me? ;)
>
> don't use slang, write normally please :) i'm not a native speaker and it
> took me some time to understand...
>
> anyway i've got only this:
> http://www.cjs.prv.pl/pc
> and as i see this -> http://members.lycos.co.uk/matfiztopola/9500/ doesn't
> work...
>
> it's quite old, the CPUz screens show 1.8V which wasn't rock stable, but
> my 1.825 is...
>
> either you are doubting Thomas or you aren't knowledgeable about this...
>
> trust me i know what i'm saying :)

U¿ytkownik "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> napisa³:

> sorry, i'm talking to you, i was just wondering if you had any benchmarks
> of your system to "show off", it looks pretty good so i was interested.

nope, i don't
interested in any? give me program name, i'll test my pc :)

btw i've got 2500+@3200+ and radeon 9500@9700 a bit o/c

regards

Uzytkownik "Joburgnewsdesk" <joburgnewsdesk@ddh.nl> napisal:

> Could be, did not check that yet. But never had below room temps in my
> case :)
> But looking back in my notes (I did a lot of runs, reboots and cold
> boots with both BIOSes), it's clear the D1.0 BIOS runs all have higher
> CPU temps than the D27 runs.

there were some changes in temp through the bios verions so it's quite
normal that various bioses show diferent temp

> As said, no SATA here. But are you saying: after using a Tictac BIOS
> you can't go back to a BIOS below 18? I know, you're not sure, but is
> that about the number or about the issue not being able to flash a
> older BIOS?

i'll google in a moment and see exactly... but that's not only the case of
TicTac but all bioses
it's the matter of multiplier 10 and 10,5 which works fine only on d10 and
doesn't work on ex d23
so many people stick to d10

at least that was a problem few months ago, i'll look and tell if something
has changed :)

> I'm not looking for a max. overclock yet, I think I can't go very high
> with my PSU. It came with my Aopen H600A case, 350 watt, but 'should
> be' very efficient and OK for even a Pentium 3,6Ghz. But already
> thinking about a Zalman ZM400B-APS
> It strikes me however my Kingston PC3200 Value Ram (2x512MB in dual
> channel) does not run 200MHz.

no idea if Zalman ZM400B-APS is good :) neveer heard of it :)

there is another problem with 2x512 memory :]
not to give many details the memory waits 1 or 2 procesor cycles before sth
is read / write
def it is 1 (1T) and this nvidia chipset has problems with 2x512 and 1T
that's why many bioses are made 2 versions 1T and 2T or CPC ON (=1T) / OFF
(=2T)
u should try the second one, it should be rock stable even at about 240MHz
(if your mem and cpu copes with that high fsb:) )

maybe try to hit me on priv
c.r.azyjo.hn at wp.pl
/remove dots/

regards

don't worry about it, i'll but my curosity to bed, and save you the hassle,
:)