AMD 3500+ Winchester & Asus A8V

Hello,

I'd like to learn about overclocking.

I bought components for my system in the hope I could achieve some sort of
safe o/c, and now want to start seeing what I can get out of it. I built
the PC myself, so I'm not 'completely' stupid, but would be interested in
some reading materials/advice from anyone who's overlclocked an AMD 64 3500+
on an Asus A8V mobo.

System is:

Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro - ATX Sound Gb-Lan IEEE1394 USB2
800FSB currently running 1009 bios
AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3500+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm
2 x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory
XFX GeForce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 8x DVI/TV-Out
Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM

Many thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about 3500 winchester asus

    "BaBeL FiSh" <dcds2002@{removethis}hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'd like to learn about overclocking.
    >
    > I bought components for my system in the hope I could achieve some sort of
    > safe o/c, and now want to start seeing what I can get out of it. I built
    > the PC myself, so I'm not 'completely' stupid, but would be interested in
    > some reading materials/advice from anyone who's overlclocked an AMD 64
    3500+
    > on an Asus A8V mobo.
    >
    > System is:
    >
    > Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro - ATX Sound Gb-Lan IEEE1394 USB2
    > 800FSB currently running 1009 bios
    > AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3500+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm
    > 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory
    > XFX GeForce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 8x DVI/TV-Out
    > Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM

    I would have gotten memory with faster CAS timings. You probably spent
    about $120-ish on that Kingston, but another $100 on memory and you get
    2-2-2-5 or 2-3-3-6 instead of the 3-4-4-8 (or higher) you're probably
    running now. It may OC, but it won't be as fast.

    Also, the vid card is decent, but not much of a gamer. X800 Pro/XT or 6800
    GT will run circles around the 5500 series.

    This is picking nits, of course. It's a nice system, certainly better than
    my current setup.

    Bill G

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:15:28 +0000, BaBeL FiSh wrote:

    > I'd like to learn about overclocking.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,520,000 for overclocking - 0.06 sec
    Results 1 - 10 of about 263,000 for overclocking 3500+ - 0.09 sec
    Results 1 - 10 of about 51,000 for overclocking av8 3500+ - 0.32 sec

    CPu speed= multiplier x FSB clock.

    Now if this doesn't do it for you, just search back thru this group.

    You do not mention what type of cpu cooler you got. I will assume then that
    it is the reference AMD cooler. To increase cooling, I would suggest that
    you buy a 70- 80mm fan converter, and affix an 80mm fan. Its the cheapest
    way to improve the cooling. I did this the other day on a mate's P4. It went
    from 25 degrees down to 9 degrees, the fan was a thermaltake one with a
    speed control, and was set at its lowest setting. Apart from anything else,
    it was quieter. Or buy a Zalman or Scythe cooler.

    Carl wrote:
    > You do not mention what type of cpu cooler you got. I will assume
    > then that it is the reference AMD cooler. To increase cooling, I
    > would suggest that you buy a 70- 80mm fan converter, and affix an
    > 80mm fan. Its the cheapest way to improve the cooling. I did this the
    > other day on a mate's P4. It went from 25 degrees down to 9 degrees,
    > the fan was a thermaltake one with a speed control, and was set at
    > its lowest setting. Apart from anything else, it was quieter. Or buy
    > a Zalman or Scythe cooler.

    9 degrees?!! Bloody hell! I'm trying to get under 40!

    Ian wrote:
    > 9 degrees?!! Bloody hell! I'm trying to get under 40!

    It must be mighty cold in that there igloo, or perhaps
    some venturi cooling action?!

    "Carl" <me@theworld.universe> wrote in message
    > You do not mention what type of cpu cooler you got. I will assume then
    > that it is the reference AMD cooler. To increase cooling, I would suggest
    > that you buy a 70- 80mm fan converter, and affix an 80mm fan. Its the
    > cheapest way to improve the cooling. I did this the other day on a mate's
    > P4. It went from 25 degrees down to 9 degrees, the fan was a thermaltake
    > one with a speed control, and was set at its lowest setting. Apart from
    > anything else, it was quieter. Or buy a Zalman or Scythe cooler.

    I am using the standard AMD fan that came with the processor. However, my
    computer case has a large intake fan in the side.

    to start you will need to drop your HTT multiplier say from 5 to 4x, then
    raise your HTT above 200 to start your overclock . Your mem is hard to say
    what it will handle so amybe setit at auto for now till you see what your
    cpu will do. Your CPU ratio set at say 10 x 220 to start and increase after
    testing your system with prime95 and gaming..ect, ect till your system wont
    boot anymore..

    Have found no real advantage to raising the voltage on my 939 3200+ on a
    gigabyte sli system I run...

    After you see what your cpu will handle start droping
    your mem
    tmmings in manual setting to give your system the boost from lower mem
    timmings, not sure how well you'll will do in regards to this value kingston
    I beleive you are running

    my settings are:

    HTT ratio 4x
    cpu ratio 10x
    HTT 245 (FSB)
    mem timings 2.5-3-3-7

    This gives me a 450 Mhz overclock from my default 2 gig speed.
    Ram I use is G.Skill le pc 4400 1gig kit
    CPU is a winchester 3200+ 939
    2 Asus 6600GT's vid cards in SLI
    Gibabyte nf4sli board
    blablabla...

    Neil...

    "BaBeL FiSh" <dcds2002@{removethis}hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'd like to learn about overclocking.
    >
    > I bought components for my system in the hope I could achieve some sort of
    > safe o/c, and now want to start seeing what I can get out of it. I built
    > the PC myself, so I'm not 'completely' stupid, but would be interested in
    > some reading materials/advice from anyone who's overlclocked an AMD 64
    > 3500+ on an Asus A8V mobo.
    >
    > System is:
    >
    > Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro - ATX Sound Gb-Lan IEEE1394 USB2
    > 800FSB currently running 1009 bios
    > AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3500+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm
    > 2 x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory
    > XFX GeForce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 8x DVI/TV-Out
    > Western Digital 160GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Neil" <Neil@rogers.com> wrote
    > Have found no real advantage to raising the voltage on my 939 3200+ on a
    > gigabyte sli system I run...

    Mine (Winchester) needs 1.5v to run at 240 or 250, stock multiplier. It
    needs 1.55v to run at 255 and 1.6v to run at 260, in order not to pull
    errors in prime95.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/