Replacing chipset fan

The POS asus decided to use to cool the northbridge on my Asus A8N-SLI has
started to die.

Does anybody know how I go about replacing the fan?

TIA

Dan
7 answers Last reply
More about replacing chipset

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:41:07 +0100, Dan wrote:

    > The POS asus decided to use to cool the northbridge on my Asus A8N-SLI has
    > started to die.
    >
    > Does anybody know how I go about replacing the fan?

    Just oil the bearings/bushing. Looks like there's 4 screws that hold it
    on. I'd trash the fan guard when I put it back on. Looks like it restricts
    airflow too much.

    Just oil the bearings/bushing. Looks like there's 4 screws that hold it
    on. I'd trash the fan guard when I put it back on. Looks like it restricts
    airflow too much.

    Ok done that. However still making horrible noise. When I actually bothered
    to look into my case (I'm so lazy lol) it appears the chipset fan is really
    easy to replace. Just two push pish that secures it. However do I need
    access to the other side of the motherboard to take the chipset fan off?
    Hopefully not because I really can't be bothered to take out the whole
    motherboard then put it all back again just for the sake of a stupid fan!

    Can you reccomend a replacement cooler? And is it possible to use a passive
    cooling? I saw a tall copper heatsink designed for chipsets? I have a side
    case fan which blows air onto that area. I ask because this chip gets
    extremely hot. Touching the side of the cooler which is on it at the moment
    burns my finger after a few seconds! Should it get this hot?

    Thanks for your reply Wes.

    Dan

    I am curious if a passive cooler would work - Zalman has them on their
    website.

    Reviews of this mobo state the fan is fast and loud (reminds me of a women I
    used to date...)

    "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am curious if a passive cooler would work - Zalman has them on their
    >website.
    >
    > Reviews of this mobo state the fan is fast and loud (reminds me of a women
    > I used to date...)

    I know a lot of people have removed fans from their southbridge/northbridge
    without problem

    Then there's my brother who destroyed his mobo by not addressing the issue
    of a broken fan.

    Wanna take that chance?

    The passive one would probably be fine though

    --
    LTP

    "A cat, having jumped up on a hot stove, will never jump up on a hot stove
    again. But then it won't jump up on a cold stove either." - Mark Twain

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:41:07 +0100, "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote:

    >The POS asus decided to use to cool the northbridge on my Asus A8N-SLI has
    >started to die.
    >
    >Does anybody know how I go about replacing the fan?

    The Zalman passive h/s works fine, you may need to modify it if on an
    SLI rig but it's very easy to pop out the studs and pop in the new
    h/s, and the chip isn't naked. Have to take the mobo out though.

    Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler (comes with h/s grease)

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:18:25 +0100, Dan wrote:

    > Just oil the bearings/bushing. Looks like there's 4 screws that hold it
    > on. I'd trash the fan guard when I put it back on. Looks like it restricts
    > airflow too much.
    >
    > Ok done that. However still making horrible noise. When I actually bothered
    > to look into my case (I'm so lazy lol) it appears the chipset fan is really
    > easy to replace. Just two push pish that secures it. However do I need
    > access to the other side of the motherboard to take the chipset fan off?
    > Hopefully not because I really can't be bothered to take out the whole
    > motherboard then put it all back again just for the sake of a stupid fan!

    If the fan is noisy, just replace it. I assume it has a 40mm fan. Replace
    it with a 40->60mm fan adapter and a 60mm fan of your choice. you can get
    all that here, including passive sinks if you want.

    http://www.heatsinkstore.com/fa-4060.html

    > Can you reccomend a replacement cooler? And is it possible to use a
    > passive cooling? I saw a tall copper heatsink designed for chipsets? I
    > have a side case fan which blows air onto that area. I ask because this
    > chip gets extremely hot. Touching the side of the cooler which is on it
    > at the moment burns my finger after a few seconds! Should it get this
    > hot?

    They need to warm up to remove the heat, but if it's that hot, then it
    probably needs better airflow to remove more of the heat. I'd try a larger
    fan first. That would improve cooling and also reduce noise. Most 40mm
    fans deliver about 8cfm at high speed. Even the slowest 60mm fan will
    deliver 12cfm or more with very little noise compared to the 40mm fan.
    Check the fans and airflow at the site above and make your choice
    remembering the more airflow, the better the coolong, but also the more
    noise. find your happy medium.

    Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am curious if a passive cooler would work - Zalman has them on their
    >>website.
    >
    > I know a lot of people have removed fans from their southbridge/northbridge
    > without problem

    My northbridge fan started to make horrible noises so I just removed it
    and left the heatsink. It never gets too hot to touch so I guess it's
    probably ok!

    T.

AMD Asus Chipsets Fan Overclocking