Replacing chipset fan

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The POS asus decided to use to cool the northbridge on my Asus A8N-SLI has
started to die.

Does anybody know how I go about replacing the fan?

TIA

Dan

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:41:07 +0100, Dan wrote:

> The POS asus decided to use to cool the northbridge on my Asus A8N-SLI has
> started to die.
>
> Does anybody know how I go about replacing the fan?

Just oil the bearings/bushing. Looks like there's 4 screws that hold it
on. I'd trash the fan guard when I put it back on. Looks like it restricts
airflow too much.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just oil the bearings/bushing. Looks like there's 4 screws that hold it
on. I'd trash the fan guard when I put it back on. Looks like it restricts
airflow too much.

Ok done that. However still making horrible noise. When I actually bothered
to look into my case (I'm so lazy lol) it appears the chipset fan is really
easy to replace. Just two push pish that secures it. However do I need
access to the other side of the motherboard to take the chipset fan off?
Hopefully not because I really can't be bothered to take out the whole
motherboard then put it all back again just for the sake of a stupid fan!

Can you reccomend a replacement cooler? And is it possible to use a passive
cooling? I saw a tall copper heatsink designed for chipsets? I have a side
case fan which blows air onto that area. I ask because this chip gets
extremely hot. Touching the side of the cooler which is on it at the moment
burns my finger after a few seconds! Should it get this hot?

Thanks for your reply Wes.

Dan

I am curious if a passive cooler would work - Zalman has them on their
website.

Reviews of this mobo state the fan is fast and loud (reminds me of a women I
used to date...)

"Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am curious if a passive cooler would work - Zalman has them on their
>website.
>
> Reviews of this mobo state the fan is fast and loud (reminds me of a women
> I used to date...)

I know a lot of people have removed fans from their southbridge/northbridge
without problem

Then there's my brother who destroyed his mobo by not addressing the issue
of a broken fan.

Wanna take that chance?

The passive one would probably be fine though

--
LTP

"A cat, having jumped up on a hot stove, will never jump up on a hot stove
again. But then it won't jump up on a cold stove either." - Mark Twain

Weaver

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:41:07 +0100, "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote:

>The POS asus decided to use to cool the northbridge on my Asus A8N-SLI has
>started to die.
>
>Does anybody know how I go about replacing the fan?

The Zalman passive h/s works fine, you may need to modify it if on an
SLI rig but it's very easy to pop out the studs and pop in the new
h/s, and the chip isn't naked. Have to take the mobo out though.

Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler (comes with h/s grease)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:18:25 +0100, Dan wrote:

> Just oil the bearings/bushing. Looks like there's 4 screws that hold it
> on. I'd trash the fan guard when I put it back on. Looks like it restricts
> airflow too much.
>
> Ok done that. However still making horrible noise. When I actually bothered
> to look into my case (I'm so lazy lol) it appears the chipset fan is really
> easy to replace. Just two push pish that secures it. However do I need
> access to the other side of the motherboard to take the chipset fan off?
> Hopefully not because I really can't be bothered to take out the whole
> motherboard then put it all back again just for the sake of a stupid fan!

If the fan is noisy, just replace it. I assume it has a 40mm fan. Replace
it with a 40->60mm fan adapter and a 60mm fan of your choice. you can get
all that here, including passive sinks if you want.

http://www.heatsinkstore.com/fa-4060.html

> Can you reccomend a replacement cooler? And is it possible to use a
> passive cooling? I saw a tall copper heatsink designed for chipsets? I
> have a side case fan which blows air onto that area. I ask because this
> chip gets extremely hot. Touching the side of the cooler which is on it
> at the moment burns my finger after a few seconds! Should it get this
> hot?

They need to warm up to remove the heat, but if it's that hot, then it
probably needs better airflow to remove more of the heat. I'd try a larger
fan first. That would improve cooling and also reduce noise. Most 40mm
fans deliver about 8cfm at high speed. Even the slowest 60mm fan will
deliver 12cfm or more with very little noise compared to the 40mm fan.
Check the fans and airflow at the site above and make your choice
remembering the more airflow, the better the coolong, but also the more
noise. find your happy medium.

Luc The Perverse wrote:
> "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am curious if a passive cooler would work - Zalman has them on their
>>website.
>
> I know a lot of people have removed fans from their southbridge/northbridge
> without problem

My northbridge fan started to make horrible noises so I just removed it
and left the heatsink. It never gets too hot to touch so I guess it's
probably ok!

T.