Is my Athlon Mobile so bad?

Robert

I started my play with overclocking and here's what's cooking
I have:
Athlon Mobile 2500+ (Vcore 1.45V) of the great series AQYHA
Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu
Epox 8RDDA3G with NForce2 400MHZ Dual Channel
2 x 512MB PC3500 Geil Golden Dragon
Chieftech 420W Dual Fan

Now, I thought that with this kind of chip and cooling + good memory chips
I would easily get above 215Mhz on the FSB but no way. I've spent hours
trying to raise the voltages but all I get is the blue screen. I've read
widely about problems with getting the "right" CPU and I'm aware of it but
maybe there's something I'm doing wrong?
In my BIOS settings there's this PowerBios section where I get 4 main
voltages for CPU, AGP, DIMM and VDD. What's the relation between those? How
to raise those - should I raise them all together or separately. When I set
FSB to 200 all I needed to do was raise the Vcore to 1,625V and it's
stable. But when I try to increase the FSB to 210MHZ even though I raise
Vcore to 1,7 or 1,8 or even 1,9V it chokes with blue screens. I tried
increasing the other voltages as well but it was all good for nothing and
despite the cooling it get real hot. There are two options - it's either
the mobo or the CPU. What do you think? I'm thinking of getting a better
mobo. Which one would you recommend?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:28:28 +0200, Robert wrote:

> I started my play with overclocking and here's what's cooking
> I have:
> Athlon Mobile 2500+ (Vcore 1.45V) of the great series AQYHA
> Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu
> Epox 8RDDA3G with NForce2 400MHZ Dual Channel
> 2 x 512MB PC3500 Geil Golden Dragon
> Chieftech 420W Dual Fan
>
> Now, I thought that with this kind of chip and cooling + good memory chips
> I would easily get above 215Mhz on the FSB but no way. I've spent hours
> trying to raise the voltages but all I get is the blue screen. I've read
> widely about problems with getting the "right" CPU and I'm aware of it but
> maybe there's something I'm doing wrong?

You're lucky to get 200, mine wouldn't get above 190, but I have a 12x
multiplier so that is still 2280MHz, faster than an XP3200 for 1/3 of the
price so I am not complaining. I think you might be trying to be a bit too
greedy with that chip. Not all chips behave exactly the same way. Be happy
with 200MHz!

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

Robert

> You're lucky to get 200, mine wouldn't get above 190, but I have a 12x
> multiplier so that is still 2280MHz, faster than an XP3200 for 1/3 of the
> price so I am not complaining. I think you might be trying to be a bit too
> greedy with that chip. Not all chips behave exactly the same way. Be happy
> with 200MHz!
Yeah, I know but it's still no consolation to me... Before this Athlon
Mobile I had a regular Barton and it clocked just like this one... I guess
the exchange wasn't a very lucky one.

"Robert" <power_ranger@op.pl> wrote in message
>I started my play with overclocking and here's what's cooking
> I have:
> Athlon Mobile 2500+ (Vcore 1.45V) of the great series AQYHA
> Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu
> Epox 8RDDA3G with NForce2 400MHZ Dual Channel
> 2 x 512MB PC3500 Geil Golden Dragon
> Chieftech 420W Dual Fan
>
> Now, I thought that with this kind of chip and cooling + good memory chips
> I would easily get above 215Mhz on the FSB but no way. I've spent hours
> trying to raise the voltages but all I get is the blue screen. I've read
> widely about problems with getting the "right" CPU and I'm aware of it but
> maybe there's something I'm doing wrong?
> In my BIOS settings there's this PowerBios section where I get 4 main
> voltages for CPU, AGP, DIMM and VDD. What's the relation between those?
> How
> to raise those - should I raise them all together or separately. When I
> set
> FSB to 200 all I needed to do was raise the Vcore to 1,625V and it's
> stable. But when I try to increase the FSB to 210MHZ even though I raise
> Vcore to 1,7 or 1,8 or even 1,9V it chokes with blue screens. I tried
> increasing the other voltages as well but it was all good for nothing and
> despite the cooling it get real hot. There are two options - it's either
> the mobo or the CPU. What do you think? I'm thinking of getting a better
> mobo. Which one would you recommend?

Try raising the Vdd voltage, once you push the FSB above the rated 200 MHz.
Also make sure that you lock the AGP/PCI at 66 MHz.

I think 1.7 V for Vdd and Vcore of 1.8 V should be fine for 210. I have the
same RAM but could never do better than 209x11 with a Barton 2500+. The
2600M+ system is running at 217x11.5 stably, but I have that one running at
1.85 V Vcore. Make sure you test with Prime 95 for stability. I also have
fans blowing on both the North and Southbridges. On my DFI board the
Southbridge gets real hot when you up the Vdd, which caused the LAN to go
out. If you are patient and systematic, I think you can get all these AMD
chips to overclock, but every system not just every chip is different.

Temperature also is a big issue. It helps quite a bit if you have good
ventilation (i.e., plenty fans) in your case and your unit in a cold room.
AC wall units are good investments if you want to overclock. When I took
the Barton 2500+ to my home which is considerably warmer than my office, I
could never do better than 200 x 11 on the same computer.

Best wishes,

Pete

Robert

> Try raising the Vdd voltage, once you push the FSB above the rated 200 MHz.
> Also make sure that you lock the AGP/PCI at 66 MHz.
>
> I think 1.7 V for Vdd and Vcore of 1.8 V should be fine for 210. I have the
> same RAM but could never do better than 209x11 with a Barton 2500+. The
> 2600M+ system is running at 217x11.5 stably, but I have that one running at
> 1.85 V Vcore. Make sure you test with Prime 95 for stability. I also have
> fans blowing on both the North and Southbridges. On my DFI board the
> Southbridge gets real hot when you up the Vdd, which caused the LAN to go
> out. If you are patient and systematic, I think you can get all these AMD
> chips to overclock, but every system not just every chip is different.
>
> Temperature also is a big issue. It helps quite a bit if you have good
> ventilation (i.e., plenty fans) in your case and your unit in a cold room.
> AC wall units are good investments if you want to overclock. When I took
> the Barton 2500+ to my home which is considerably warmer than my office, I
> could never do better than 200 x 11 on the same computer.
Thank a lot. I'll definitely try doing that and let you know how I did.

Robert

Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:36:19 +0200, na alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,
Robert napisa³(a):

>> Also make sure that you lock the AGP/PCI at 66 MHz.
> OK. And how do I do that?

Seek and ye shall find!. I got it. But gotta go now. So CUl8er

Robert

OK all I could squeeze out of it was 204Mhz which is less than I had
expected.Anyway it's ok what I've got.

I am not sure what multiplier that you are using. Try pushing the
multiplier down so you can boost the FSB and use the full capability of your
RAM.

You may find that 218x11 is faster than 200x12. I am using 217x11.5 but you
have to keep the system cool to hit 2.5 GHz.

Also. be sure to run the RAM (218 MHz) and FSB (218 MHz)at 1:1.

Pete

> OK all I could squeeze out of it was 204Mhz which is less than I had
> expected.Anyway it's ok what I've got.

Robert

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:28:33 GMT, na alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd, Peter
Harrington napisa³(a):

> I am not sure what multiplier that you are using. Try pushing the
> multiplier down so you can boost the FSB and use the full capability of your
> RAM.
>
> You may find that 218x11 is faster than 200x12. I am using 217x11.5 but you
> have to keep the system cool to hit 2.5 GHz.
>
> Also. be sure to run the RAM (218 MHz) and FSB (218 MHz)at 1:1.
>
> Pete
>
> "Robert" <power_ranger@op.pl> wrote in message
>> OK all I could squeeze out of it was 204Mhz which is less than I had
>> expected.Anyway it's ok what I've got.

I couldnt get 10.5 x 217Mhz not to mention 11 or 11.5 multiplier... I tried
raising all the voltages in all sorts of ways and I just got tired of this
sh... Now I'm running @ 220 FSB with 9.5 mulitplier which is OK for now but
I know that this CPU is too slow for the memory

> Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:28:33 GMT, na alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,
> Peter
> Harrington napisa³(a):
>
>> I am not sure what multiplier that you are using. Try pushing the
>> multiplier down so you can boost the FSB and use the full capability of
>> your
>> RAM.
>>
>> You may find that 218x11 is faster than 200x12. I am using 217x11.5 but
>> you
>> have to keep the system cool to hit 2.5 GHz.
>>
>> Also. be sure to run the RAM (218 MHz) and FSB (218 MHz)at 1:1.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> "Robert" <power_ranger@op.pl> wrote in message
>>> OK all I could squeeze out of it was 204Mhz which is less than I had
>>> expected.Anyway it's ok what I've got.
>
> I couldnt get 10.5 x 217Mhz not to mention 11 or 11.5 multiplier... I
> tried
> raising all the voltages in all sorts of ways and I just got tired of this
> sh... Now I'm running @ 220 FSB with 9.5 mulitplier which is OK for now
> but
> I know that this CPU is too slow for the memory

We were vexed by a dual channel motherboard too. We did not purchase
matched RAM modules, but simple combined two
sticks of RAM from the same vendor and same speed. This system would not
overclock at all either until, we switched the RAM to single channel.

Could this be your problem?

What voltages are you using for the core and chipset? Every mobile chip, we
have seen ultimately has been able to go beyond 2.4 GHz. What temperatures
are you getting in your case and on the chip? It could be a cooling
problem, if it is not the dual channel problem. Our 2.4 GHz is running at
1.85 V and is in the low 40 C under load. My office system is running
213x12 at 1.9 V and it hits 50 C under load. Chipsets are 1.7 V for both
systems.

Best wishes,

Pete

What memory timeings u using ??? 2.5 3.3.7 is what iam using to get
2.4ghz. With Dual channel, with matched pair.

I am doing this at 1.7 volts or so, so i think i could do 2.5 2.6
easily if i rasied the voltage alittle.