Athlon XP reaching 60C idle!

My non-overclocked Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton i think) used to run a what i
considered to be a respectable 35-40C when idle but recently it has been
running at 55-65C idle!

I have just one case fan extracting at rear-top but also have extractor
fan fitted to gfx card on rear-bottom. In any case even case-open the
cpu temp is still well into the 50s. I'm not sure which is my case temp
reading as i have two but they stay pretty constant at 32C and 35C. The
room temp is probably around 20C. My cooler is an Akasa 8cm 2500rpm fan
mounted on an Akasa heatsink using arctic cooling silicone paste. I
can't remember the exact model of the fanbut I know it's rated to Athlon
3200+. There are no ribbon cables in the case.

My first thought was that i had some trojan or virus eating clock cycles
in the background but I've scanned and rescanned and even reinstalled
windows (for unrelated reasons) and the problem persists.

I also have S2kctl running to set the idle bus disconnect bit but while
that used to drop the temp very significantly it doesn't seem to have
any effect anymore.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

T.
6 answers Last reply
More about athlon reaching idle

    You could try looking at your Voltage for the CPU (Vcore) and turn it down a
    bit. Mine was at 1.55 but then I turned it down to 1.45 and it runs so much
    cooler but still at same great performance for my AMD64 3400+. You will need
    some kind of motherboard monitor for it though. I use Gigabytes Easy Tune5

    --
    www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
    www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
    "Tamlyn Rhodes" <tsr@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > My non-overclocked Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton i think) used to run a what i
    > considered to be a respectable 35-40C when idle but recently it has been
    > running at 55-65C idle!
    >
    > I have just one case fan extracting at rear-top but also have extractor
    > fan fitted to gfx card on rear-bottom. In any case even case-open the
    > cpu temp is still well into the 50s. I'm not sure which is my case temp
    > reading as i have two but they stay pretty constant at 32C and 35C. The
    > room temp is probably around 20C. My cooler is an Akasa 8cm 2500rpm fan
    > mounted on an Akasa heatsink using arctic cooling silicone paste. I can't
    > remember the exact model of the fanbut I know it's rated to Athlon 3200+.
    > There are no ribbon cables in the case.
    >
    > My first thought was that i had some trojan or virus eating clock cycles
    > in the background but I've scanned and rescanned and even reinstalled
    > windows (for unrelated reasons) and the problem persists.
    >
    > I also have S2kctl running to set the idle bus disconnect bit but while
    > that used to drop the temp very significantly it doesn't seem to have
    > any effect anymore.
    >
    > Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    > T.

    The heatsinks are stuffed with dust. Take off the fans and clean everything
    out. Oil the fans with Inox while you're at it.

    rms

    Tamlyn Rhodes wrote:
    > My non-overclocked Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton i think) used to run a what i
    > considered to be a respectable 35-40C when idle but recently it has been
    > running at 55-65C idle!
    >
    > I have just one case fan extracting at rear-top but also have extractor
    > fan fitted to gfx card on rear-bottom. In any case even case-open the
    > cpu temp is still well into the 50s. I'm not sure which is my case temp
    > reading as i have two but they stay pretty constant at 32C and 35C. The
    > room temp is probably around 20C. My cooler is an Akasa 8cm 2500rpm fan
    > mounted on an Akasa heatsink using arctic cooling silicone paste. I
    > can't remember the exact model of the fanbut I know it's rated to Athlon
    > 3200+. There are no ribbon cables in the case.
    >
    > My first thought was that i had some trojan or virus eating clock cycles
    > in the background but I've scanned and rescanned and even reinstalled
    > windows (for unrelated reasons) and the problem persists.
    >
    > I also have S2kctl running to set the idle bus disconnect bit but while
    > that used to drop the temp very significantly it doesn't seem to have
    > any effect anymore.
    >
    > Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    > T.

    Is the heatsink too hot to touch? My guess is that the silicone paste
    has harderened and is not doing its job. Remove and get some quality
    thermal compound on the cpu.

    Ash.

    "Chris Harries" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > You could try looking at your Voltage for the CPU (Vcore) and turn it down
    > bit. Mine was at 1.55 but then I turned it down to 1.45 and it runs so
    much
    > cooler but still at same great performance for my AMD64 3400+. You will
    need
    > some kind of motherboard monitor for it though. I use Gigabytes Easy Tune5

    Na since it was ok in the past don't mess with the voltage that until you
    have looked at the CPU heatsink very carefully. It's not unusual to find
    them choked with dust. You need to look through the fan not at the sides of
    the sink. It can be hard to see with the fan in the way - use a torch or
    remove the fan.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a go at dusting and reseat the
    heatsink if that fails.

    Cheers,

    T.

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a go at dusting and reseat the
    > heatsink if that fails.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > T.

    Hi:

    Coincidentally, I just removed a massive dust bunny that accumulated under
    the fan of my home computer heat sink in just 9 months. I have all kinds of
    furry pets, which are a good source of dust. The system not only is cooler
    but I can now get it back to its old overclock of 209x11.

    Here is my cleaning procedure.
    1. Unscrew the fan from the top of the heatsink and remove it.
    2. I got some cleanafe dust remover from Walmart and blasted the dust out
    of the heatsink.
    3. Re-attach the fan to the heatsink in the correct orientation.

    The cleansafe worked much better than trying to vaccuum the dust out. I am
    ready to do the same thing on my other system.

    Best wishes,

    Pete

AMD Cases Windows XP Overclocking