Temps for sempron 2500.. Good or not?

I'm running a sempron 2500 with the heatsink and fan that came with it.
With no OCing it's running idle at 44C on the cpu and 35C on the MB. Are
these average temps or high? I'd like to OC this cpu but I'm not sure the
temp range I'm aiming for.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Phil..

That's quite low temperature!
My Athlon 2000+ has a temperature of 51°C (idle).

"Phil Williamson" <p_williamson@cogeco.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm running a sempron 2500 with the heatsink and fan that came with it.
> With no OCing it's running idle at 44C on the cpu and 35C on the MB. Are
> these average temps or high? I'd like to OC this cpu but I'm not sure the
> temp range I'm aiming for.
>
> Any suggestions are helpful.
>
> Phil..

I was playing around with the clock settings the other day and managed to
get it up to 1.89ghz no problems. I noticed the temps on the cpu went up to
the low 50's. I'm not sure how hot is too hot so I back it back down to the
defaults.

Phil Williamson wrote:
> I'm running a sempron 2500 with the heatsink and fan that came with it.
> With no OCing it's running idle at 44C on the cpu and 35C on the MB. Are
> these average temps or high?

omg what case and cooling do u have...? 44C *at idle* is pretty bad for
a low power cpu... although within design specs i suppose.

my athlon64 3200+ (2GHz) is normally 32-34C at idle (case 28C), and
under 100% load for hours on end is about 52-54C (case 35C). however i
do have pretty good air cooling in the thermaltake tsunami case.

I'm running the aspire dreamer 2 case with a blow hole in the top, side
mounted fan on the clear plastic viewing window, and the power supply fan of
course. The window fan is lined up with the cpu fan so that the cpu gets
fresh air from outside the case to cool. Today is a cooler day outside and
i'm idling at 41C on the cpu and 33C on the MB..

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:20:37 -0400, Phil Williamson wrote:

> I had my eyes on the Thermaltake BigTyphoon 4 in 1 Heatpipe - Cooler
> (CL-P0114). It looks wild and runs at 13dbs! What do you think?

Looks like an excellent cooler if you don't mind spending 5 times the
money for it when the cheaper one will work. For me, no. For you, well I
guess that's your call. If $50 deosn't bother you, go for it. At least you
can move it to other platforms if you decide to go K8 or P4.

On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:51:50 +0000, Felger Carbon wrote:

> There is an almost identical version of the TR2-M3 made for the K8.
> It's the TR2-M6, and Newegg carries it, too. The main difference is
> the mounting. Fan is the same, heat sink size the same.

Yep, I've got a TR2-M6 too, and there a big difference in the copper base
compared the the M1 or M3 for the K7. The M6 cools about the same as the
K8 stock cooler, only quieter, so it's not as big a difference where the
M1 and M3 cool a lot better than the stock K7 cooler. For the K8, the
stock HS is actually a little better than the M6 IMO. That's why I just
replaced the fan on the stock cooler and continue to use it on my A64
system.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:51:50 +0000, Felger Carbon wrote:
>
> > There is an almost identical version of the TR2-M3 made for the
K8.
> > It's the TR2-M6, and Newegg carries it, too. The main difference
is
> > the mounting. Fan is the same, heat sink size the same.
> >
> Yep, I've got a TR2-M6 too, and there a big difference in the copper
base
> compared the the M1 or M3 for the K7. The M6 cools about the same as
the
> K8 stock cooler, only quieter, so it's not as big a difference where
the
> M1 and M3 cool a lot better than the stock K7 cooler. For the K8,
the
> stock HS is actually a little better than the M6 IMO. That's why I
just
> replaced the fan on the stock cooler and continue to use it on my
A64
> system.

The stock cooler does a better job of cooling and also (sigh) a better
job of producing noise. I just bought a Sempron 2600+ 754, and it has
such low power that the M6 and its low noise is preferable to the
stock cooler with its higher rpm 70mm fan.

Unlike socket A HSFs, where a small die must be cooled, the job of a
K8 HSF is to cool a relatively huge IHS (integrated heat spreader).
For this large-area load, the copper base plate is almost irrelevant;
I think it's there for marketing, not cooling, reasons.

I almost wish my new Palermo chip consumed more power so I had an
excuse to mount an A2013 92mm fan on my TR2-M6 HSF. ;-)

On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:28:19 +0000, Felger Carbon wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:51:50 +0000, Felger Carbon wrote:
>>
>> > There is an almost identical version of the TR2-M3 made for the K8.
>> > It's the TR2-M6, and Newegg carries it, too. The main difference is
>> > the mounting. Fan is the same, heat sink size the same.
>> >
>> Yep, I've got a TR2-M6 too, and there a big difference in the copper
>> base compared the the M1 or M3 for the K7. The M6 cools about the same
>> as the K8 stock cooler, only quieter, so it's not as big a difference
>> where the M1 and M3 cool a lot better than the stock K7 cooler. For the
>> K8, the stock HS is actually a little better than the M6 IMO. That's
>> why I just replaced the fan on the stock cooler and continue to use it
>> on my A64 system.
>
> The stock cooler does a better job of cooling and also (sigh) a better
> job of producing noise. I just bought a Sempron 2600+ 754, and it has
> such low power that the M6 and its low noise is preferable to the stock
> cooler with its higher rpm 70mm fan.

Well, why do you think I replaced the 70x15mm fan with a 70-80mm fan
adapter and an 80x25mm low speed fan.:)