WAP-PSK configuration

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I am currently using WEP 128bit AP and clients. Since the AP is upgraded to
WAP-PSK, can someone tell me how to configure to WAP-PSK on both AP and
clients that is using Windows XP Pro SP2.

Thanks,

Ray

Malke

Ray wrote:

> I am currently using WEP 128bit AP and clients. Since the AP is
> upgraded to WAP-PSK, can someone tell me how to configure to WAP-PSK
> on both AP and clients that is using Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

From MVP Steve Winograd:

1. Set the Security Mode to "WPA-PSK (no server)".
2. Set the Encryption Technique to "TKIP".
3. Specify a pre-shared key.

Remember that all hardware must support WPA, not just the access point.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Many thanks for your advice that is workable. I have learnt from Netgear
that "WPA Has backward compatible WEP support for devices that are not
upgraded". Could you please advise how to configure it on one client who
has no WPA support on his computer but WEP 128-bit.

Thanks,

Ray

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
>
>> I am currently using WEP 128bit AP and clients. Since the AP is
>> upgraded to WAP-PSK, can someone tell me how to configure to WAP-PSK
>> on both AP and clients that is using Windows XP Pro SP2.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>
> From MVP Steve Winograd:
>
> 1. Set the Security Mode to "WPA-PSK (no server)".
> 2. Set the Encryption Technique to "TKIP".
> 3. Specify a pre-shared key.
>
> Remember that all hardware must support WPA, not just the access point.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Ray wrote:

> Many thanks for your advice that is workable. I have learnt from
> Netgear that "WPA Has backward compatible WEP support for devices that
> are not
> upgraded". Could you please advise how to configure it on one client
> who has no WPA support on his computer but WEP 128-bit.

As I said, you have to be consistent in your use of encryption
throughout your wireless network. You would need to read the manual for
your Netgear access point to see if there is something special that can
be done since one client doesn't support WPA. I don't use that Netgear
hardware so can't help you. Read the manual or contact Netgear.

My understanding (which may not be applicable to your particular model
Netgear - maybe that model is different) is that all hardware
components must match; IOW if one member can't use WPA, then all must
use WEP.

Otherwise, consider replacing the older hardware on that one client with
a newer wireless adapter that supports WPA.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Malke,

I thought it is the characteristic of WPA that it has backward compatible
with WEP. I read it from Netgear support web page but they did not give the
detail in user guide and knowledge base. I have contacted Netgear for
detail.

You said:

"I thought it is the characteristic of WPA that it has backward
compatible
with WEP."

That is not the case. WPA was designed to be a compatible as possible
with the existing hardware that had support designed in for WEP. In
other words, it was a compromise design to get as many older products
into the world of WPA as possible.

The problems are:

1) Some older hardware just was not capable of supporting WPA.
2) Some vendors are not going through the trouble/expense of supporting
WPA on their older hardware even if it could support it.

(I think #2 is the majority case, BTW.)