lee

Hello want some advice please...

I currently own a Soltek SL75-FRNRL mobo has a xp 2500+ clocked @3200+ with
768mb of pc3200 ram running dual channel with a 250gb seagate 7200.1 sata
hard drive and an ATI 9800 pro graphics card. I have noticed in newer games
I am starting to see jerky gaming...
I have been offered an Asus K8V-X motherboard for £30 so theoretically all I
need is a socket 754 processer and was thinking something like a A64 3200+,
would I see any benefit is it worth the upgrade just yet?

TIA for advice.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:05:41 +0000, Lee wrote:

> Hello want some advice please...
>
> I currently own a Soltek SL75-FRNRL mobo has a xp 2500+ clocked @3200+ with
> 768mb of pc3200 ram running dual channel with a 250gb seagate 7200.1 sata
> hard drive and an ATI 9800 pro graphics card. I have noticed in newer games
> I am starting to see jerky gaming...
> I have been offered an Asus K8V-X motherboard for £30 so theoretically all I
> need is a socket 754 processer and was thinking something like a A64 3200+,
> would I see any benefit is it worth the upgrade just yet?

Well, you'd see a good performance increase but whether or not it's worth
it is something only you can answer.

> With a statement like that, your name sure fits.

U C ;]

> Wrong again. They even have dual cores slated for 754.

mea culpa, didn't know!!

> As for the socket, depends on what you want. As for overclocking, totally
> wrong. You can overclock a 754 cpu just as much as you can a 939, maybe
> more. I've seen one clocked over 2.7GHz.

not really, s939 o/c slightly better then s754

i personally wouldn't buy MB that i would have to change when upgrading my
PC next time
it;s almost like buying whole new pc...

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:39:56 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:44:31 +0200, Crazy John wrote:
>
>> no new processors are made on 754, so it's only for this particular
>> processor
>
> Wrong again. They even have dual cores slated for 754.

Sorry about this.Ii think I was wrong about dual cores. There are dual
core Semprons scheduled, but they may have been for S939. Don't recall for
sure now, but they do have new 754 cpu's scheduled.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:12:11 +0200, Crazy John wrote:

>> With a statement like that, your name sure fits.
>
> U C ;]
>
>> Wrong again. They even have dual cores slated for 754.
>
> mea culpa, didn't know!!
>
>> As for the socket, depends on what you want. As for overclocking, totally
>> wrong. You can overclock a 754 cpu just as much as you can a 939, maybe
>> more. I've seen one clocked over 2.7GHz.
>
> not really, s939 o/c slightly better then s754
>
> i personally wouldn't buy MB that i would have to change when upgrading my
> PC next time

Well, I agree with this somewhat. IOW's I wouldn't buy a socket 754 and a
3700+. I would however (and did) buy a 754 3000+. Got it over a year ago.
Don't see a need to upgrade it for at least another year, if then, seeing
as how it runs at 800MHz with powernow over 90% of the time. 1800MHz about
9% of the time, and full speed about 1% of the time.

lee

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:36:48 GMT, Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net>
wrote:

<snip>

>:>
>:>Well, I agree with this somewhat. IOW's I wouldn't buy a socket 754 and a
>:>3700+. I would however (and did) buy a 754 3000+. Got it over a year ago.
>:>Don't see a need to upgrade it for at least another year, if then, seeing
>:>as how it runs at 800MHz with powernow over 90% of the time. 1800MHz about
>:>9% of the time, and full speed about 1% of the time.

Hello Wes

So what is your verdict do you think its worth me upgrading, simple yes or
no please :)

Cheers.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:51:07 +0000, Lee wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:36:48 GMT, Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net>
> wrote:
>>:>Well, I agree with this somewhat. IOW's I wouldn't buy a socket 754 and a
>>:>3700+. I would however (and did) buy a 754 3000+. Got it over a year ago.
>>:>Don't see a need to upgrade it for at least another year, if then, seeing
>>:>as how it runs at 800MHz with powernow over 90% of the time. 1800MHz about
>>:>9% of the time, and full speed about 1% of the time.
>
> Hello Wes
>
> So what is your verdict do you think its worth me upgrading, simple yes or
> no please :)

I wouldn't presume to know if the extra performance is worth it to you or
not. I'm not ignoring you, just not answering this one.:)

> Sorry about this.Ii think I was wrong about dual cores. There are dual
> core Semprons scheduled, but they may have been for S939. Don't recall for
> sure now, but they do have new 754 cpu's scheduled.

that's what i think... :) but didn't want to argue :)