PCI Express

I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in comparison to
AGP or just junk?
8 answers Last reply
More about express

    There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
    resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
    newst vid card.

    "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
    > I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in comparison
    > AGP or just junk?

    "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
    > I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth
    > it in comparison to AGP or just junk?

    pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp bus's more than speed
    issues

    it's well overdue

    "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
    > resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
    > newst vid card.

    I think it should make a difference if you have video capture (eg input) on
    your video output card. Isn't AGP only fast in one direction? If you want to
    record and watch a TV program at the same time I think a PCI Express should
    be much better. Particularly HDTV.

    ... but I might be wrong.

    "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
    > resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
    > newst vid card.
    >
    > "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
    >> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in comparison
    >> AGP or just junk?

    dawg, do you have a link to a difference under the circumstances you state?

    --
    Derek

    "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > There's really no difference in performance,yet. Except at really high
    > > resolution(1600x1200) with the fastest CPU(Athlon FX-55 or Intel EE0 and
    > > newst vid card.
    > >
    > > "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
    > >> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth it in
    comparison
    > >> AGP or just junk?
    > >>

    > dawg, do you have a link to a difference under the circumstances you
    state?

    > --
    > Derek
    >

    > HMM,I think I got to the test from a link at Hardocp.com They tested a few
    cards of each type.Dang,I'll se if I can find it.

    >> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth
    >> it in comparison to AGP or just junk?
    >
    > pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp bus's more than speed
    > issues
    >
    > it's well overdue

    So I wouldnt be making a mistake if I chose to buy an agp slotted mobo and
    agb gfx card?

    Or should I spend the extra on PCI-e?

    >>> I held out this long for PCI express, is it really worth
    >>> it in comparison to AGP or just junk?
    >>
    >> pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp bus's more than speed
    >> issues
    >>
    >> it's well overdue
    >
    > So I wouldnt be making a mistake if I chose to buy an agp slotted mobo and
    > agb gfx card?
    >
    > Or should I spend the extra on PCI-e?

    Will you be upgrading the graphics card without replacing the motherboard
    in the future?

    --
    Derek
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
    > > > I held out this long for PCI express, is it really
    > > > worth it in comparison to AGP or just junk?
    > >
    > > pci express is about replacing the old pci and agp
    > > bus's more than speed issues
    > >
    > > it's well overdue
    >
    > So I wouldnt be making a mistake if I chose to buy an agp
    > slotted mobo and agb gfx card?
    >
    > Or should I spend the extra on PCI-e?

    like i said it's an upgrade issue not a speed one
    you want pci express stuff really

    agp will be useless on your next pc, any new motherboard will have pci
    express, and pci express video cards will be cheaper than AGP ones (well
    better value for money)

AMD Overclocking Hardware PCI Express