Overclocking Sempron 2400 with KT600 chipset

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2005 12:52:22 PM

Wes Newell Wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:51:10 +0100, Stephen Bowden wrote:
> -
> The Sempron's multiplier is locked at X10. But you're right about the
> PCI clock and AGP bus. At 185MHz cpu clock (1.85GHz) the system
> crashed
> running prime95 torture test when I attempted to play realplayer at
> the
> same time.
> How do you overcome the PCI/AGP problem? I know there are people
> running semprons at 2GHz(200MHz clock) on KT600 boards using an
> increased Vcore.
> -
> Setting the FSB to 200 MHz will set the pci clock divider to 6 so the
> pci
> clock will be 33MHz. Or your board may have to be set for it in the
> bios.
> Options are usually 4:2:1, 5:2:1, and 6:2:1 for manual settings, but
> it
> may show it some other way.
> -
> At 183MHz the system seems OK although I was having lock-ups using a
> PCI
> sound board. Am at present using on-board sound. I have still not
> increased the Vcore.
> -
> My original reply had me mistakenly thinking you had a 2400+ XP (15x
> multiplier) instead of the Sempron with 10x, so their shouldn't be a
> problem raising FSB to 200MHz assuming your ram settings are correct.
> You
> will probably need at least 1.60v vcore and I'd go ahead and set it to
> 1.65v (default for 2000MHz XP's). If you have PC3200 ram you should be
> able to use a 1:1 ratio. If you have slower ram, you may have to
> adjust
> ram settings to keep the ram bus speed and CL to match your ram.
> Once you get it running properly at 200MHZ FSB, you might want to try
> for
> more. You should be able to get at least 215MHz before the pci clock
> starts causing problems, but you'll probably also have to adjust vcore
> and
> ram settings again.

> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Thanks for the help Wes.
At 183MHz clock speed the PCI/AGP frequencies are 36/72
At 200MHz these values rise to 40/80.

Will this be a problem?
I have no PCI cards installed.
My video card is a Gigabyte Geforce FX5200 128 Mb.

Other system details are given in first post.
Still at 183MHz. Vcore unchanged at 1.63.

I must point out that I'm not desperately seeking speed, just trying to
optimize performance whilst retaining stability.

Thanks again for your time.

--
Stephen Bowden
April 27, 2005 1:45:34 PM

What brand is your board? I missed the start of the thread.

Dave

"Stephen Bowden" <Stephen.Bowden.1o54jn@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in
message news:Stephen.Bowden.1o54jn@news.computerbanter.com...

> Wes Newell Wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:51:10 +0100, Stephen Bowden wrote:
>> -
>> The Sempron's multiplier is locked at X10. But you're right about the
>> PCI clock and AGP bus. At 185MHz cpu clock (1.85GHz) the system
>> crashed
>> running prime95 torture test when I attempted to play realplayer at
>> the
>> same time.
>> How do you overcome the PCI/AGP problem? I know there are people
>> running semprons at 2GHz(200MHz clock) on KT600 boards using an
>> increased Vcore.
>> -
>> Setting the FSB to 200 MHz will set the pci clock divider to 6 so the
>> pci
>> clock will be 33MHz. Or your board may have to be set for it in the
>> bios.
>> Options are usually 4:2:1, 5:2:1, and 6:2:1 for manual settings, but
>> it
>> may show it some other way.
>> -
>> At 183MHz the system seems OK although I was having lock-ups using a
>> PCI
>> sound board. Am at present using on-board sound. I have still not
>> increased the Vcore.
>> -
>> My original reply had me mistakenly thinking you had a 2400+ XP (15x
>> multiplier) instead of the Sempron with 10x, so their shouldn't be a
>> problem raising FSB to 200MHz assuming your ram settings are correct.
>> You
>> will probably need at least 1.60v vcore and I'd go ahead and set it to
>> 1.65v (default for 2000MHz XP's). If you have PC3200 ram you should be
>> able to use a 1:1 ratio. If you have slower ram, you may have to
>> adjust
>> ram settings to keep the ram bus speed and CL to match your ram.
>> Once you get it running properly at 200MHZ FSB, you might want to try
>> for
>> more. You should be able to get at least 215MHz before the pci clock
>> starts causing problems, but you'll probably also have to adjust vcore
>> and
>> ram settings again.
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
>> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
> Thanks for the help Wes.
> At 183MHz clock speed the PCI/AGP frequencies are 36/72
> At 200MHz these values rise to 40/80.
>
> Will this be a problem?
> I have no PCI cards installed.
> My video card is a Gigabyte Geforce FX5200 128 Mb.
>
> Other system details are given in first post.
> Still at 183MHz. Vcore unchanged at 1.63.
>
> I must point out that I'm not desperately seeking speed, just trying to
> optimize performance whilst retaining stability.
>
> Thanks again for your time.
>

> --
> Stephen Bowden
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2005 8:10:03 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:52:22 +0100, Stephen Bowden wrote:

> At 183MHz clock speed the PCI/AGP frequencies are 36/72

Actually 36.6/73.2, (with 5 divider), but that's close.

> At 200MHz these values rise to 40/80.

They should be 33.3/66.6 (with 6 divider), which is mormal.

> Will this be a problem?

40/80 would be.

> I have no PCI cards installed.

But there's still a PCI bus that's used to move data.

> My video card is a Gigabyte Geforce FX5200 128 Mb.

Not many will do 80MHz.

> Other system details are given in first post.
> Still at 183MHz. Vcore unchanged at 1.63.

I delete it.

> I must point out that I'm not desperately seeking speed, just trying to
> optimize performance whilst retaining stability.

Same thing.

a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2005 8:31:37 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:52:22 +0100, Stephen Bowden wrote:

> At 183MHz clock speed the PCI/AGP frequencies are 36/72
> At 200MHz these values rise to 40/80.

From Gigabyte website.

Advanced 400 Front-Side Bus Support
This platform supports the highest CPU frequency and system bandwidth for
fully utilizing the intense computing power of latest AMD Athlon XP
400FSB processor and providing enhanced system responsiveness.