OCing SEMPRON 2300+ with MSI K7N2 Delta-L

Ok, I'm a complete newbie to Overclocking, in fact I've only just
built my first PC :oops: but I'm looking to get a bit more
performance out of my 2300+ and I've been told OCing it is the way to
go.

I've got it in a MSI K7N2 Delta-L MB, with 512MB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC
CL3 Kingston RAM (upgrading to 1024MB asap).

I'm not a complete simpleton, but I would appreciate some advice from
this point, as I don't want to cause my very first hand-built PC to
burst into flames :?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Randle" <psychadellic_goldfish@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:51332$42743f86$455da0d2$21615@allthenewsgroups.com...
> Ok, I'm a complete newbie to Overclocking, in fact I've only just
> built my first PC :oops: but I'm looking to get a bit more
> performance out of my 2300+ and I've been told OCing it is the way to
> go.
>
> I've got it in a MSI K7N2 Delta-L MB, with 512MB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC
> CL3 Kingston RAM (upgrading to 1024MB asap).
>
> I'm not a complete simpleton, but I would appreciate some advice from
> this point, as I don't want to cause my very first hand-built PC to
> burst into flames :?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have the same motherboard, but basically it's all about whether the CPU is
locked or unlocked. Go into the BIOS and look for the "CPU ratio", change
it and see if it actually changes. I use this
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html If it will adjust
then something like a 200FSB x 11 or 11.5 should work fine. You want to run
the CPU synchronously with the DDR memory.
I run an XP2400+ mobile CPU at 200x12 with 1.7v on the CPU.

If you're already at 200 then just try raising the multiplier (ratio) to the
aforementioned 11-12 with small voltage increases to support them. 8 hours
of http://sp2004.fre3.com/ Prime95 to test for stability.

HTH...

On Sun, 01 May 2005 02:31:34 +0000, Randle wrote:

> Ok, I'm a complete newbie to Overclocking, in fact I've only just
> built my first PC :oops: but I'm looking to get a bit more
> performance out of my 2300+ and I've been told OCing it is the way to
> go.
>
> I've got it in a MSI K7N2 Delta-L MB, with 512MB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC
> CL3 Kingston RAM (upgrading to 1024MB asap).
>
> I'm not a complete simpleton, but I would appreciate some advice from
> this point, as I don't want to cause my very first hand-built PC to
> burst into flames :?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Multiplier x FSB clock = CPU speed. It's that simple. Your Sempron has a
locked multiplier of 9.5 and a default FSB speed of 166MHz. The only way
to overclock it is to raise the FSB clock speed. Your cpu is probably
capable of about 2400MHz, but you'll find it hard getting to that speed
with a 9.5 multiplier. Raising the FSB to 200 will only get you 1900MHz,
so if you want more than that you need to go higher. a good goal woud be
9.5x233 for a little over 2200MHz. This will no doubt require a vcore
increase and ram timing adjustments. Good luck.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 02:31:34 +0000, Randle wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'm a complete newbie to Overclocking, in fact I've only just
>> built my first PC :oops: but I'm looking to get a bit more
>> performance out of my 2300+ and I've been told OCing it is the way to
>> go.
>>
>> I've got it in a MSI K7N2 Delta-L MB, with 512MB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC
>> CL3 Kingston RAM (upgrading to 1024MB asap).
>>
>> I'm not a complete simpleton, but I would appreciate some advice from
>> this point, as I don't want to cause my very first hand-built PC to
>> burst into flames :?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Multiplier x FSB clock = CPU speed. It's that simple. Your Sempron has a
> locked multiplier of 9.5 and a default FSB speed of 166MHz. The only way
> to overclock it is to raise the FSB clock speed. Your cpu is probably
> capable of about 2400MHz, but you'll find it hard getting to that speed
> with a 9.5 multiplier. Raising the FSB to 200 will only get you 1900MHz,
> so if you want more than that you need to go higher. a good goal woud be
> 9.5x233 for a little over 2200MHz. This will no doubt require a vcore
> increase and ram timing adjustments. Good luck.

> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

That's too bad about the Sempron and the locked multiplier, this particular
mobo (K7N2 Delta-L) doesn't really do much over a 200FSB (no chipset
voltage adj.) I only messed with it a little bit a long time ago but I seem
to remember it choking up at about 205. Maybe someone else knows better....

Thanks for all the help. It's now running at 1.9GHz quite nicely, and
the temperatures seem fine with the fan that came with the
processor.

No flames this time!

:D