Adding a coin mechanism to a MAME cabinet

I have a restored arcade cabinet which I've converted to be a MAME machine.
I'm using an I-PAC to link up the controls to the PC within.

One thing that I don't currently have, however, is a working coin mechanism.
I've never been particularly bothered by this, but lately I've been thinking
that it would be a nice thing to have if I could pick one up cheap.

But I'm not sure how I'd go about wiring this into my cabinet. I know
there's a connection on the I-PAC for the coin input, but is it actually
feasible to connect this up to a real coin mechanism? Would the coin
mechanism need to be powered, and if so how would I achieve this?

I don't really know anything about the mechanism at the moment so any advice
or information anyone can provide would be gratefully received.

My thanks in advance,

--

(O)enone
14 answers Last reply

    I actually eliminated the coin mechs (since my coin door didn't have
    any) and cut a piece of thin plastic tubing in half so the coin could
    fall down the "chute" and had the "wire switch" at the end of the chute
    flip over the credit via the ipac. It worked great and never had a
    problem. It was nice to even use the slot machine tokens for credits.
    The kids just kept filling that slot up with money.

    Hi,

    I could never get the mechanical coin switch to work perfectly, sometimes
    the coin would hit it and bounce off creating two credits, sometimes it
    would trigger one credit. I ended up designing an optical coin circuit
    which is documented here:

    http://www.oscarcontrols.com/coinswitch/

    Thanks,

    SA Dev

    SA Development wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I could never get the mechanical coin switch to work perfectly, sometimes
    > the coin would hit it and bounce off creating two credits, sometimes it
    > would trigger one credit. I ended up designing an optical coin circuit
    > which is documented here:
    >
    > http://www.oscarcontrols.com/coinswitch/
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > SA Dev

    ......and that's why they pay /you/ the big bucks.....<G>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    You do realize you could have put a ceramic cap across the switch leads
    to eliminate the bounce problem?

    Oenone thought about it a bit, then said...
    > I have a restored arcade cabinet which I've converted to be a MAME machine.
    > I'm using an I-PAC to link up the controls to the PC within.
    >
    > One thing that I don't currently have, however, is a working coin mechanism.
    > I've never been particularly bothered by this, but lately I've been thinking
    > that it would be a nice thing to have if I could pick one up cheap.
    >
    > But I'm not sure how I'd go about wiring this into my cabinet. I know
    > there's a connection on the I-PAC for the coin input, but is it actually
    > feasible to connect this up to a real coin mechanism? Would the coin
    > mechanism need to be powered, and if so how would I achieve this?
    >
    > I don't really know anything about the mechanism at the moment so any advice
    > or information anyone can provide would be gratefully received.
    >
    > My thanks in advance,

    http://www.retroblast.com/articles/token-convert.html

    Hope this helps!

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    Oenone wrote:

    > I have a restored arcade cabinet which I've converted to be a MAME machine.
    > I'm using an I-PAC to link up the controls to the PC within.

    I-PAC is very expensive, nexttime maybe you can choose honni_mame
    http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~fritzc/honnii.html

    > One thing that I don't currently have, however, is a working coin mechanism.
    > I've never been particularly bothered by this, but lately I've been thinking
    > that it would be a nice thing to have if I could pick one up cheap.

    NRI-G40 is a cheap and great device. It gives the information by a parallel
    output which can be interpreted by the honni_mame.

    regards

    Rieker Flaik wrote:
    > I-PAC is very expensive, nexttime maybe you can choose honni_mame
    > http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~fritzc/honnii.html

    Nah, I spent quite some time weighing up the pros and cons of various
    interfaces (there are some different types being sold on eBay, too) but the
    I-PAC was definitely the one I wanted. The shift function is invaluable --
    and doesn't the device you link to only work on Linux? Not much good to me.

    Besides, I got the Value Edition anyway (which does all I need) and it only
    cost about £20 including delivery, hardly broke the bank.

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 19:42:29 -0400, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >http://www.retroblast.com/articles/token-convert.html
    >
    >Hope this helps!

    Man! Your site is great, Kev!

    Do you have a source for the tokens? And what did they cost, and how
    many did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?

    Also, where do you get your multiple colored wire from? I seem to be
    stuck with red and black simply because that's all I can find
    anywhere.

    Many thanks!!

    --
    Rick

    I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    (John Lennon)

    Hi Dead Dad,

    >> I could never get the mechanical coin switch to work perfectly, sometimes
    >> the coin would hit it and bounce off creating two credits, sometimes it
    >> would trigger one credit. I ended up designing an optical coin circuit
    >> which is documented here:
    >> http://www.oscarcontrols.com/coinswitch/
    > .....and that's why they pay /you/ the big bucks.....<G>

    I wish.....actually I couldn't stand the idea that after working so hard on
    my cabinet that something as simple as the coin switch wouldn't work
    properly! And I always wanted to design an electrical circuit that DID
    something!!

    Thanks,

    SA Dev

    Hi,

    > You do realize you could have put a ceramic cap across the switch leads
    > to eliminate the bounce problem?

    No, actually I never tried that. I tried bending the wire every which way
    and no matter what I tried it was never consistent. What would you do in
    this case, bend the wire so it would never miss a register even if the coin
    bounced off it a couple times? Would the cap have made the couple times
    look like one?

    Thanks,

    SA Dev

    Rutger6559 thought about it a bit, then said...
    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 19:42:29 -0400, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.retroblast.com/articles/token-convert.html
    > >
    > >Hope this helps!
    >
    > Man! Your site is great, Kev!
    >
    > Do you have a source for the tokens? And what did they cost, and how
    > many did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?
    >
    > Also, where do you get your multiple colored wire from? I seem to be
    > stuck with red and black simply because that's all I can find
    > anywhere.
    >
    > Many thanks!!

    The wire was part of an "wiring kit" I bought from Ultimarc:

    http://www.ultimarc.com/JShopServer/section.php?xSec=2

    I probably could have found it all somewhere closer, but I'm a lazy
    bastard. ;-)

    The tokens I got from two sources: eBay and David Santoro's MAME / BYOAC
    tokens:

    http://www.arcadetokens.com/html/mame_tokens.html

    On eBay just search for arcade tokens or .984" tokens (if you get the
    ..984 mechs). Chuck-e-Cheese tokens are .984", as are Pachislo tokens.
    I've gotten bags of 500 tokens for $15. Sometimes you can find an
    "assorted lot" of .984" tokens, which is great because you can get a
    sampling of tokens from arcades all over the place.

    I've got a brass vibrating tumbler I use to polish everything up (gotta
    have shiny tokens ;-)

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    www.retroblast.com

    Rutger6559 thought about it a bit, then said...

    > Do you have a source for the tokens? And what did they cost, and how
    > many did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?

    Forgot to mention: since my pinball machines, pachislo machine, and MAME
    cab all run on tokens now, I've stocked up. I've got about 4-5,000
    tokens roughly. I've got a big fish bowl full of tokens that I keep next
    to the games. (The Pachislo slot machine, in particular, needs a lot of
    tokens ;-)

    --

    SA Development wrote:
    > Would the cap have made the couple times
    > look like one?

    Yep, that's the idea. Late 70s pinball machines did this because the
    processor wasn't fast enough to handle switch bounce.

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:19:45 -0400, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >Rutger6559 thought about it a bit, then said...
    >
    >> Do you have a source for the tokens? And what did they cost, and how
    >> many did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?
    >
    >Forgot to mention: since my pinball machines, pachislo machine, and MAME
    >cab all run on tokens now, I've stocked up. I've got about 4-5,000
    >tokens roughly. I've got a big fish bowl full of tokens that I keep next
    >to the games. (The Pachislo slot machine, in particular, needs a lot of
    >tokens ;-)

    WOW!!!! That's a lot of tokens!!!

    Many thanks for the great info, Kevin!

    --
    Rick

    I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
    and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
    (John Lennon)

Connection Games Video Games