?Processor Speed

G'day All

I just built an AMD3000+ (939) on an ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo. i currenlty have
the AI o/c at "auto 10%", but even so, windows only detects the processor
speed at 1.09ghz (it was 1ghz with no o/c). also, the cool and quiet program
also only detects the speed at 1.0GHz. This processor should be running at
1.8GHz before o/c'ing, so i'm not sure what's going on eh.

Thanks for any help
B.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Bailua" <baci@ausdoctors.net> wrote in message
> G'day All
>
> I just built an AMD3000+ (939) on an ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo. i currenlty
> have the AI o/c at "auto 10%", but even so, windows only detects the
> processor speed at 1.09ghz (it was 1ghz with no o/c). also, the cool and
> quiet program also only detects the speed at 1.0GHz. This processor should
> be running at 1.8GHz before o/c'ing, so i'm not sure what's going on eh.
>
> Thanks for any help
> B.

It would help if we knew which model processor you have Sempron, athlon 64
etc, but youy problem is that the Bios is setting the wrong FSB for your
processor. but your numbers given don't seem to match. at 1 ghz for the
default FSB of 100 mhz means your processor has a 10 multiplier. in order to
have a "normal" running speed of 1.8 Ghz your FSB would have to be 180.
however FSB's only come in 100, 133, 166 and 200 Mhz as standard settings,
you can of course adjust manually. So Since 166*10= 1660 mhz which is the
speed of an athlon 2000+ determines that's too slow for your processor we
step up to 200*10 or 2.0 Ghz whic is what your processor should be running
at. Go into your BIOS and set your FSB to 200.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:08:19 +1000, Bailua wrote:

> G'day All
>
> I just built an AMD3000+ (939) on an ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo. i currenlty have
> the AI o/c at "auto 10%", but even so, windows only detects the processor
> speed at 1.09ghz (it was 1ghz with no o/c). also, the cool and quiet program
> also only detects the speed at 1.0GHz. This processor should be running at
> 1.8GHz before o/c'ing, so i'm not sure what's going on eh.

You're running powernow which currently has the cpu scaled down to about
1GHz. the 10% AI overclock (which I assume raises the FSB) would account
for the 1.09GHz speed (approx.10% over 1.0). If you want full speed all
the time, disable powernow, or whatever it's called in Win. I've got mine
set to run at 800MHZ until 3% cpu load; well, this is easier.

[General]
pidfile=/var/run/cpufreqd.pid
poll_interval=2
pm_type=acpi #(acpi, apm or pmu)
# Uncomment the following line to enable ACPI workaround (see cpufreqd.conf(5))
# acpi_workaround=1
verbosity=4 #(if you want a minimal logging set to 5)

[Profile]
name=hi_boost
minfreq=2000000
maxfreq=2000000
policy=userspace

[Profile]
name=medium_boost
minfreq=1800000
maxfreq=1800000
policy=userspace

[Profile]
name=lo_boost
minfreq=800000
maxfreq=800000
policy=userspace

[Rule]
name=cpulow
cpu_interval=0-3
profile=lo_boost

[Rule]
name=cpumedium
cpu_interval=3-80
profile=medium_boost

[Rule]
name=cpuhigh
cpu_interval=80-100
profile=hi_boost

[Rule]
name=crackattack
programs=crack-attack
cpu_interval=90-100
profile=lo_boost

# medium power when watching DVDs :
[Rule]
name=dvd_watching
programs=xine,mplayer,avidemux,totem
cpu_interval=0-100
profile=medium_boost

> however FSB's only come in 100, 133, 166 and 200 Mhz as standard settings,

Those are the memory settings.

The A64 has no fsb. Instead, the clock governs the speed of the cpu and the
hypertransport bus and the memory, through multipliers. Standard clock is
200.

You can't raise the cpu multiplier except on FX cpus, though you can lower
it; on my board the multiplier for the cpu has to be on auto for
cool'n'quiet to work.

You can raise the clock, though.

The hypertransport has to be at or under 1000, so you would lower its
multiplier.

To keep from pushing the memory too far, you set it to a slower type. So, if
your memory is stressing, you set it from pc200 down to 166 or even 133 if
the clock goes really high.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3100-oc.html

Of course, you must use a board that can/does lock the pci/agp, so they
don't go up with the main clock.

Example:
A64 3200+ multiplier=10x 2.0gigs (200 clock) cpu volts=1.4 ht=5x=1000
mem=200=200
overclock:
clock=240 cpu=2.4gigs (3800+) cpu volts=1.5
ht=4x=960
mem set to 166=200 -- roughly ((166/200)*240)

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> however FSB's only come in 100, 133, 166 and 200 Mhz as standard
>> settings,
>
> Those are the memory settings.
>
> The A64 has no fsb. Instead, the clock governs the speed of the cpu and
> the hypertransport bus and the memory, through multipliers. Standard clock
> is 200.
>
> You can't raise the cpu multiplier except on FX cpus, though you can lower
> it; on my board the multiplier for the cpu has to be on auto for
> cool'n'quiet to work.
>
> You can raise the clock, though.
>
> The hypertransport has to be at or under 1000, so you would lower its
> multiplier.
>
> To keep from pushing the memory too far, you set it to a slower type. So,
> if your memory is stressing, you set it from pc200 down to 166 or even 133
> if the clock goes really high.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3100-oc.html
>
> Of course, you must use a board that can/does lock the pci/agp, so they
> don't go up with the main clock.
>
> Example:
> A64 3200+ multiplier=10x 2.0gigs (200 clock) cpu volts=1.4 ht=5x=1000
> mem=200=200
> overclock:
> clock=240 cpu=2.4gigs (3800+) cpu volts=1.5
> ht=4x=960
> mem set to 166=200 -- roughly ((166/200)*240)
>
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Ed, the hypertransport and Front side bus are 2 different names for the same
thing.. the processor clock.

"chuck" <chuck_les_@hotmail.com> wrote
> Ed, the hypertransport and Front side bus are 2 different names for the
> same thing.. the processor clock.

I thought hypertransport was the bus from the cpu to the memory, and front
side bus was between north and south bridges.

Oops.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

> "chuck" <chuck_les_@hotmail.com> wrote
>> Ed, the hypertransport and Front side bus are 2 different names for the
>> same thing.. the processor clock.
>
> I thought hypertransport was the bus from the cpu to the memory, and front
> side bus was between north and south bridges.
>
> Oops.

The hypertransport bus runs from the CPU to the chipset.

--
Derek

Not quite sure the best position in this thread to put this post ...

chuck wrote:
[...]
> Ed, the hypertransport and Front side bus are 2 different names for
> the same thing.. the processor clock.

The 200MHz clock that is in a K8 system is probably best referred to as the
system or base clock. It is definately not the FSB clock, no matter what
part of the system you are calling the FSB. The Hypertransport links run at
a multiple of the system clock speed (usually 4x or 5x, and then with DDR on
top of that), and the CPU itself runs at another multiple of the system
clock.

System clock
+-> Multiplies to get
| Hypertransport bus speed