New Rig...

Building a new rig.. I have interest in a socket 939 motherboard with a AGP
slot..what is my best choice in motherboard purchase? SLI is currently NOT
an option.

Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
    > Building a new rig.. I have interest in a socket 939 motherboard with a
    > AGP slot..what is my best choice in motherboard purchase? SLI is currently
    > NOT an option.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

    humm...both are via boards... Are they better chip set?

    Asus A8V

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE

    Abit AV8 is a good board

    "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
    > Building a new rig.. I have interest in a socket 939 motherboard with a
    > AGP slot..what is my best choice in motherboard purchase? SLI is currently
    > NOT an option.

    I put an Athlon64 3000+ on an EPoX 9NDA3J NForce3 Ultra. Board and
    processor from Newegg only ran around $250 US. Only problem I have is with
    the onboard LAN, but I installed my old card and remedied that.

    Dont know about Via chipset being better but after researching the
    other options for 939 AGP boards it was the obvious choice noting
    problems other boards were having. The AV8 board was not considered
    during selection at the time so i cant speak of its issues

    --
    ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
    ATI RADEON X800XT PE
    1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700

    "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
    > Building a new rig.. I have interest in a socket 939 motherboard with a
    > AGP slot..what is my best choice in motherboard purchase? SLI is currently
    > NOT an option.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

    Thanks everyone for the info..:-)

    What about the K8NS Ultra? NF3

    I'm leaning toward the Asus...my last two builds in 8 years+ were Asus MB
    with minimal problems

    Abit AV8 here, main alternative is the NF3 chipset for AGP. DFI have a great
    NF3 board but it is socket 754.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Larz50 wrote:

    > I put an Athlon64 3000+ on an EPoX 9NDA3J NForce3 Ultra. Board and
    > processor from Newegg only ran around $250 US. Only problem I have is with
    > the onboard LAN, but I installed my old card and remedied that.

    What problem did you have with the on-board lan? I have a epox and the
    onboard lan seems to corrupt incoming data.

    Ash.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ashp" <ashleypride@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Larz50 wrote:
    >
    >> I put an Athlon64 3000+ on an EPoX 9NDA3J NForce3 Ultra. Board and
    >> processor from Newegg only ran around $250 US. Only problem I have is
    >> with the onboard LAN, but I installed my old card and remedied that.
    >
    > What problem did you have with the on-board lan? I have a epox and the
    > onboard lan seems to corrupt incoming data.

    S L O W connect speeds. Speeds online as slow as dial-up, some web
    pages would not load at all and return errors. Putting a LAN card in and
    disabling the onboard LAN solved the problem.

AMD Overclocking Hardware Motherboards