Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mame Compile Free Dos Problem

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 25, 2005 12:01:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

I have dos mame set up on a FreeDos system with the AdvanceMenu front
end. It works perfectly and I love the set up.

I have been messing around with compiling a dmame source (version .055)
and to the letter followed the instructions on the mame site for doing
this. For some reason the compiled version would not work with the
front end and it would cough up an error that said that the file
"mame.xml" couldn't be generated. This led me to believe that I had
tried to compile a win version of mame but I rechecked my steps and I
ran the compile using the "Make MameOs=msdos" command.

I tried running the compiled Mame from the command line on a Win98
machine and it runs fine. When I tried the same on my FreeDos machine
it says that "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

I was wondering if anyone has compiled the source for mame and has it
running on FreeDos. Do I have to actually compile the source on the
same machine that is running freeDos? I read somwhere here that "The
compiler executable would
be the same on any of its supported platforms, but certain pieces of
code will compile conditionally depending on what OS is detected during
that process. "

I have a hard time believing that would make any difference because I
can run most any version of "ready to go" dmame on the FreeDos machine
and those were generated for use with ms-dos.

I have never before tried compiling dmame but after a few days of
banging my head against the wall I decided to post here.

Any help would be appreciated,

Steve
May 25, 2005 8:11:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Thank you for you help-

It the compiled version now works with my front end as far as not
throwing up the xml error. However when I get to the game list it will
display the roms but when you select a game it will not start mame it
will just go blank and then take you back to the game list. Similar to
if you have a sound problem or whatever that is keeping mame from
running properly.

I have no dedicated machine set up with stand alone MS-DOS for a test
but I did run it in the DOS box in Win98. Is this an accurate way to
know if this is truly dmame that I compiled?

I am leaning toward your thingking that somehow I compiled a command
line windows version of mame. I am stumped as to how I did since I took
the instructions and files from here: http://www.mame.net/compile.html

However the executable I got when I completed the compile was called
dmame.exe so I believe I have the right source but perhaps there are
elements in the makefile which need to be changed or something.

Thanks for you time, if anyone has compiled dmame please let me know if
the way they did it was like the above link. I have tried posting on
the mame compile boards but I can't get into it for some reason.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:03:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

steve@stevessigns.com wrote in news:1116989684.682282.257560
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I have been messing around with compiling a dmame source (version .055)
> and to the letter followed the instructions on the mame site for doing
> this. For some reason the compiled version would not work with the
> front end and it would cough up an error that said that the file
> "mame.xml" couldn't be generated. This led me to believe that I had
> tried to compile a win version of mame but I rechecked my steps and I
> ran the compile using the "Make MameOs=msdos" command.

You may have to edit something in your frontend to let it use the old
..dat file style of ROM lists. After .84 (I think) Mame went from a .dat
text delimited ROM listing to an .xml style listing. Since you're using
..55 you're using the old style.

> I tried running the compiled Mame from the command line on a Win98
> machine and it runs fine. When I tried the same on my FreeDos machine
> it says that "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

What happens if you run it from MS-DOS? You can get a boot disk from
http://www.bootdisks.com (or http://www.bootdisk.com if I got it wrong)
and see if it works from there. If it does, you have a FreeDOS problem.
If it doesn't, you have somehow compiled the Windows version.

> I was wondering if anyone has compiled the source for mame and has it
> running on FreeDos. Do I have to actually compile the source on the
> same machine that is running freeDos? I read somwhere here that "The
> compiler executable would
> be the same on any of its supported platforms, but certain pieces of
> code will compile conditionally depending on what OS is detected during
> that process. "

You should be able to compile it on any machine. You have to make sure
you have the compile enviornment correct (using the proper version of
DJGPP) etc etc. You state you already have an executable, so I'm not
exactly sure what's going on there.

Do the things I mentioned above, and failing that ask in the Mame
Compiling forum @ MameWorld.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

steve@stevessigns.com wrote in news:1117019484.793349.34410
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:


> I have no dedicated machine set up with stand alone MS-DOS for a test
> but I did run it in the DOS box in Win98. Is this an accurate way to
> know if this is truly dmame that I compiled?

Not even close. You don't need a stand-alone box to test this, just boot
from a boot floppy from that site I mentioned.

> I am leaning toward your thingking that somehow I compiled a command
> line windows version of mame. I am stumped as to how I did since I took
> the instructions and files from here: http://www.mame.net/compile.html

*shrug* me too, but with the error you're getting that would be my guess.

> However the executable I got when I completed the compile was called
> dmame.exe so I believe I have the right source but perhaps there are
> elements in the makefile which need to be changed or something.
>
> Thanks for you time, if anyone has compiled dmame please let me know if
> the way they did it was like the above link. I have tried posting on
> the mame compile boards but I can't get into it for some reason.

I've done it. I used DJGPP from the Mame site, set the enviornment
variable, set the OS flag in the makefile, and off it went.

Why don't you just use a ready-made exe? Or are you compiling in some
changes?


--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431
May 27, 2005 10:44:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Well, I don't get it.

I once again downloaded all of the files from the mame dos turorial at
http://www.mame.net/compile.html , unzipped them as they described. Set
the appropriate variable in the makefile to "msdos" instead of windows.
Ran the make command as "make mameos=msdos" and got the resulting
executable "dmame.exe" which does not run in dos or freedos.

The only thing I see is that there is a diff file on the mame downloads
page for the version I am trying to compile which is version 055. The
version on the instruction page is 056 and they don't mention the diff
file so I didn't do anything with it in my compile. Outside of that I
am at a total loss as to why this won't work. There must be something
extra that I need to do that the mame dos compile page doesn't say.
Maybe another change in the make file or a different version of one of
the files they have linked to or something but I was precise to the
letter following those instructions and they didn't work for me. Maybe
there's something screwed up in the source code or make file for
version 055 or something but this is driving me crazy.

If anyone out there has compiled that 055 source on the mame page
please for love of God tell me how in the world they got it to work.
(If anyone needs me I'll be in the bath tub making toast...arg)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:33:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

steve@stevessigns.com wrote in news:1117201466.123251.323050
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> If anyone out there has compiled that 055 source on the mame page
> please for love of God tell me how in the world they got it to work.
> (If anyone needs me I'll be in the bath tub making toast...arg)

I'll give it a shot. Send me the changes you want made, and I'll see if
I can do it here. Not sure why you exes aren't working.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431
May 27, 2005 11:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Thanks for the offer. It appears now that I have a new problem or at
least fixed half of the old problem. I tried another compile and this
time I have a working version in dos. It runs from the dos box on both
my freeDos machine and my Win98 machine however....

I still get the error in my front end (AdvanceMenu) that says-

"error reading the 'mame' information from file C:\mame\mame.xml."

As a check, I took the original dmame version I had and threw it in the
mame directory and it runs fine but when I switch it with my compiled
version the frontend kicks an error and won't run mame. I leave
everything the same except I switch the mame executable. At least I
have rid myself of one problem and know for sure now that I have
sucessfully compiled a dos mame version.

It just seems to me that there must be something in the compile process
using the various files and librarys they provided on mame.net that are
creating a version of mame that isn't exactly being read by AdvanceMenu
as being a true Dos version. This thing should not be looking for the
file mame.xml. It isn't a config setting I checked and besides,
switching the Mame executables pretty much rules that out. Also- I
downloaded a version of dmame that another fellow had compiled and it
too refused to run in AdvanceMenu.

If it wasn't for the fact that it was a terrific PITA to get all of
this running smoothly in FreeDos I'd try another front end. I really
like AdvanceMenu though. Thanks for the offer BTW, I may just take you
up on it but I think there is something else here going wrong and I
have yet to find anyone who has had this problem, I've read about
30,000 web pages in the last few days and I feel like the Lone Ranger
here.

All this and I live in Maine where we haven't had sun in about 2
friggin' weeks and I am starting to get grumpy...
June 6, 2005 12:57:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Had to put the whole mame thing on hold for a week or so- fried my
motherboard on my work computer, picking up the pieces.

But- Joy, I did get mame working. The problem was with the front end.
For some reason the newer versions of advancemenu wouldn't by pass the
xml check for the good old listinfo. Supposedly if there is no mame.xml
file it will go with listinfo but I couldn't get it to work so I went
back to a version that was made before the switch to XML and it runs
nicely. I wish that I had a few of the newer features but screw it, I
am calling myself lucky to have what I have.

Thanks Peale, appreciate your help.

Steve

Peale wrote:
> steve@stevessigns.com wrote in news:1117201466.123251.323050
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
> > If anyone out there has compiled that 055 source on the mame page
> > please for love of God tell me how in the world they got it to work.
> > (If anyone needs me I'll be in the bath tub making toast...arg)
>
> I'll give it a shot. Send me the changes you want made, and I'll see if
> I can do it here. Not sure why you exes aren't working.
>
> --
> Do you want a free iPod?
> http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431
!