PC keeps shutting down? random problem?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2005 9:27:15 PM

Hi folks...

One of my pc's has (over the last couple of weeks) developed the habit
of randomly locking up/shutting down.

The pc shuts itself down and goes into some sort of hibernation mode?
The power LED on the case flashes but nothing works, screen shuts down,
hard disk stops, everything appears to be dead, but the case LED light
flashes?

I have to press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds before
the pc shuts off properly (the light stops flashing and goes out). Then
I can re-boot and the pc will restart as normal.

I've checked to ensure that there is no power saving mode enabled and
afaik there is none (in control panel and in the bios).

I've done a virus check and nothing is found, and I've also tried
Ad-Aware and Spybot and nothing appears, so I do not think its a
virus/worm, etc.

The pc shuts down after about half an hour, but the time varies and it
can be 10 minutes or up to an hour before this happens, but using M/B
monitor I don't see any rise in temps prior to the shutdown.

It does not appear to matter what program is running prior to the
problem, or even if the pc is just sitting there doing nothing.

I've renewed the cpu fan with a new one anyway just in case, but that
made no difference, still the random shutdown's...

The PC Hardware is as follows:

Athlon 1.3Gb Duron based pc (home built).
512Mb pc133 SDram.
Asus A7V m/b.
X6 Toshiba DVD (32x CD) drive.
15Gb IBM HD & 80Gb Seagate HD
64Mb NVidia Ti200 GeForce3 AGP card
Hercules Fortissimo 2 PCI sound card.
PCI network card.
17" SVGA Monitor.
HP mono laser printer attached via usb.

And I'm using (up to date) McAfee anti virus/firewall and Win98 (SE)
with all latest McAfee & MS updates.

I've had no major hardware upgrades lately, last one was a new HD last
year, and the pc worked fine after this.

I've had no major software installs lately either, so I'm scratching my
head as to what might be causing this?

I'd be grateful for any ideas....

Thanx
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2005 12:40:07 AM

"P G" <peterjohn.gagg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
[snip]

> I've had no major software installs lately either, so I'm scratching my
> head as to what might be causing this?

Failing electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard or a failing power supply
sound like a potential avenue of investigation to me. You may be able to
detect bad caps with no more than a visual inspection for bulges and/or
leaking electrolyte.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2005 3:40:03 AM

P G Wrote:
> Hi folks...
>

> The pc shuts down after about half an hour, but the time varies and it
> can be 10 minutes or up to an hour before this happens, but using M/B
> monitor I don't see any rise in temps prior to the shutdown.
>
> It does not appear to matter what program is running prior to the
> problem, or even if the pc is just sitting there doing nothing.
>
> I've renewed the cpu fan with a new one anyway just in case, but that
> made no difference, still the random shutdown's...
>
> The PC Hardware is as follows:
>
> Athlon 1.3Gb Duron based pc (home built).
> 512Mb pc133 SDram.
> Asus A7V m/b.
> X6 Toshiba DVD (32x CD) drive.
> 15Gb IBM HD & 80Gb Seagate HD
> 64Mb NVidia Ti200 GeForce3 AGP card
> Hercules Fortissimo 2 PCI sound card.
> PCI network card.
> 17" SVGA Monitor.
> HP mono laser printer attached via usb.
>
> And I'm using (up to date) McAfee anti virus/firewall and Win98 (SE)
> with all latest McAfee & MS updates.
>
> I've had no major hardware upgrades lately, last one was a new HD last
> year, and the pc worked fine after this.
>
> I've had no major software installs lately either, so I'm scratching
> my
> head as to what might be causing this?
>
> I'd be grateful for any ideas....
>
> Thanx
Power supply?

--
Stephen Bowden
a b K Overclocking

Try a memory test software to check the RAM.

Also, borrow a spare power supply to see if the problem disappear.

"P G" <peterjohn.gagg@ntlworld.com> ??? news:4280EEDA.3020208@ntlworld.com
???...
> Hi folks...
>
> One of my pc's has (over the last couple of weeks) developed the habit
> of randomly locking up/shutting down.
>
> The pc shuts itself down and goes into some sort of hibernation mode?
> The power LED on the case flashes but nothing works, screen shuts down,
> hard disk stops, everything appears to be dead, but the case LED light
> flashes?
>
> I have to press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds before
> the pc shuts off properly (the light stops flashing and goes out). Then
> I can re-boot and the pc will restart as normal.
>
> I've checked to ensure that there is no power saving mode enabled and
> afaik there is none (in control panel and in the bios).
>
> I've done a virus check and nothing is found, and I've also tried
> Ad-Aware and Spybot and nothing appears, so I do not think its a
> virus/worm, etc.
>
> The pc shuts down after about half an hour, but the time varies and it
> can be 10 minutes or up to an hour before this happens, but using M/B
> monitor I don't see any rise in temps prior to the shutdown.
>
> It does not appear to matter what program is running prior to the
> problem, or even if the pc is just sitting there doing nothing.
>
> I've renewed the cpu fan with a new one anyway just in case, but that
> made no difference, still the random shutdown's...
>
> The PC Hardware is as follows:
>
> Athlon 1.3Gb Duron based pc (home built).
> 512Mb pc133 SDram.
> Asus A7V m/b.
> X6 Toshiba DVD (32x CD) drive.
> 15Gb IBM HD & 80Gb Seagate HD
> 64Mb NVidia Ti200 GeForce3 AGP card
> Hercules Fortissimo 2 PCI sound card.
> PCI network card.
> 17" SVGA Monitor.
> HP mono laser printer attached via usb.
>
> And I'm using (up to date) McAfee anti virus/firewall and Win98 (SE)
> with all latest McAfee & MS updates.
>
> I've had no major hardware upgrades lately, last one was a new HD last
> year, and the pc worked fine after this.
>
> I've had no major software installs lately either, so I'm scratching my
> head as to what might be causing this?
>
> I'd be grateful for any ideas....
>
> Thanx

June 7, 2013 6:07:59 AM

Check out this thread that I responded to, not sure if the pwoer button on your unit could have the same crappy design?
JLOVELY56 said:
My toshiba satellite p755-s5320 keeps just turning off (not shutting down) just click off. I took it to a tech and he kept it for two days and he said it never happened to him. It continues to happen to me everyday. The laptop stays on from around 5 to 20 min. Hope someone can help me with my problem. Thanks

I hate to tell you this but I have the same problem with this laptop and it's bad news. The power button is likely the problem and Toshiba no longer makes the part so it cannot be repaired. Per my repair person it's poorly designed like a piece of tape and 2 pieces of aluminum foil and he can see why it quit working. It took a while to discover that this was the problem and he had to finally take it apart to see this. Toshiba will take no responsibility for this poor design and has told me to buy a new computer even though mine was purchaed in January of '12 and I started initially having this issue probably 14 months after purchase. I would love to keep finding more people with this problem, maybe if we all complained Toshiba would listen. You are not the only other person with this problem I have seen on internet forums.
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .
a c 103 K Overclocking
June 7, 2013 9:32:53 PM

Coming out or going into sleep a few things happen - power state change and drive spin up/down. Visual inspection of capacitors is a good place to start. Running a health check on your HD is another. If not spiing up or cache is going bad, you will see this issue. Once before I have seen this behaivior on a corrupted registry/dll. Have you tried reinstall of windows or at least run system file checker? Sfc.exe. maybe even run Piriform's CCleaner in registry mode and repeat scan til it come up with zero error
June 7, 2013 11:46:10 PM

I think this is power supply box problem.
I also had same problem in my old pc.
It was fixed by changing power supply box.
May 17, 2014 12:53:09 PM

if it does this while using the power cord, then your power cord( power supply) has gone bad. js purchase a new one. the universal ones are about $50-$60.
!