Windows XP - BSOD - DRIVER_LESS_THAN_NOT_EQUAL error

Hi all

Maybe one of you guys can help me? I have a problem where my PC crashes and
I get the infamous Blue Screen Od Death. Basically this seems to happen when
doing intensive stuff, such as encoding AVI's to MPG1 or 2, although it has
happened once before while emptying my recycle bin (it was rather full!!).
I have done a clean install and the problem still exists.

The error message I receive on the BSOD is something like
"DRIVER_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL". I have done various searches on the web
and it points to a driver issue. I am kind of thinking it cannot be, as
doing mudane things like surfing, the pc is fine. If there was a driver
issue the problem would always be present so would crash when doing simple
stuff????

My PC spec is as follows:

AMD 1800+XP
Soltek DRV4+ mobo
1x512 & 1x256 DDR2600 RAM
1x40gb maxtor (system drive)
1x160gb maxtor (storage drive)

This problem is only a few months old.......I have had the PC about 3 years.

HELP....this is driving me nutty!

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about windows bsod driver_less_than_not_equal error

    vw-stuff wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Maybe one of you guys can help me? I have a problem where my PC
    > crashes and I get the infamous Blue Screen Od Death. Basically this
    > seems to happen when doing intensive stuff, such as encoding AVI's to
    > MPG1 or 2, although it has happened once before while emptying my
    > recycle bin (it was rather full!!). I have done a clean install and
    > the problem still exists.
    >
    > The error message I receive on the BSOD is something like
    > "DRIVER_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL". I have done various searches on the
    > web and it points to a driver issue. I am kind of thinking it cannot
    > be, as doing mudane things like surfing, the pc is fine. If there
    > was a driver issue the problem would always be present so would crash
    > when doing simple stuff????
    >
    > My PC spec is as follows:
    >
    > AMD 1800+XP
    > Soltek DRV4+ mobo
    > 1x512 & 1x256 DDR2600 RAM
    > 1x40gb maxtor (system drive)
    > 1x160gb maxtor (storage drive)
    >
    > This problem is only a few months old.......I have had the PC about 3
    > years.
    >
    > HELP....this is driving me nutty!
    >
    > Thanks

    Possibly, I stress possibly, Power Supply instability. However, which
    driver does your research point to?

    "vw-stuff" <vwgeezerNOSPAM@dsl.pipexNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Maybe one of you guys can help me? I have a problem where my PC crashes
    and
    > I get the infamous Blue Screen Od Death. Basically this seems to happen
    when
    > doing intensive stuff, such as encoding AVI's to MPG1 or 2, although it
    has
    > happened once before while emptying my recycle bin (it was rather full!!).
    > I have done a clean install and the problem still exists.
    >
    > The error message I receive on the BSOD is something like
    > "DRIVER_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL". I have done various searches on the web
    > and it points to a driver issue. I am kind of thinking it cannot be, as
    > doing mudane things like surfing, the pc is fine. If there was a driver
    > issue the problem would always be present so would crash when doing simple
    > stuff????
    >
    > My PC spec is as follows:
    >
    > AMD 1800+XP
    > Soltek DRV4+ mobo
    > 1x512 & 1x256 DDR2600 RAM
    > 1x40gb maxtor (system drive)
    > 1x160gb maxtor (storage drive)
    >
    > This problem is only a few months old.......I have had the PC about 3
    years.

    > HELP....this is driving me nutty!
    >
    > Thanks

    Ian's suggestion that it could be dust under the CPU fan is IMHO absolutely
    most likely indeed!!!
    I have seen this error many times, and when it happens on a previously
    stable system it's usualy a pointer that is called with some outrageous
    value that basicly points to nowhere. The reason is, when they get too hot
    a CPU can go from digital to analogue in a moment.
    The gaps between the cooling fins on these heat sinks is very close, and
    they collect dust severely!!!

    Vince Morgan

    "vw-stuff" <vwgeezerNOSPAM@dsl.pipexNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Maybe one of you guys can help me? I have a problem where my PC crashes
    > and
    > I get the infamous Blue Screen Od Death. Basically this seems to happen
    > when
    > doing intensive stuff, such as encoding AVI's to MPG1 or 2, although it
    > has
    > happened once before while emptying my recycle bin (it was rather full!!).
    > I have done a clean install and the problem still exists.
    >
    > The error message I receive on the BSOD is something like
    > "DRIVER_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL". I have done various searches on the web
    > and it points to a driver issue. I am kind of thinking it cannot be, as
    > doing mudane things like surfing, the pc is fine. If there was a driver
    > issue the problem would always be present so would crash when doing simple
    > stuff????
    >
    > My PC spec is as follows:
    >
    > AMD 1800+XP
    > Soltek DRV4+ mobo
    > 1x512 & 1x256 DDR2600 RAM
    > 1x40gb maxtor (system drive)
    > 1x160gb maxtor (storage drive)
    >
    > This problem is only a few months old.......I have had the PC about 3
    > years.
    >
    > HELP....this is driving me nutty!
    >
    > Thanks

    I have encountered this error under two situations:
    1. During boot up of an overclocked system where things are not too stable
    eg too high an FSB / not enough vcore.
    2. During cpu intensive tasks causing a rise in temperature. The solution
    is either to increase cooling or too increase vcore (if an upper temperature
    limit for your individual set up has not been reached). As suggested, check
    for fluff build up on heatsink etc
    However I also suspect that you have not had a 160gb hdd for 3 years and you
    have added at least this load to your psu (if not an optical drive or two)-
    which if it is a cheap 300w unit may not be able to cope with the extra hdd
    load and still supply nice smooth power to the hot overworked cpu.

AMD Blue Screen Windows XP Overclocking